Thread: J.L.S ARMS (wednesbury)....airgun catalogue

edbear2 Guest

J.L.S ARMS (wednesbury)....airgun catalogue

In the course of one of my pastimes ..... discovering and scanning old airgun related ads etc., I have just got hold of a cracking 200 page hardback catalogue by the above firm.....some excellent airgun stuff from the late 70's /early 80's including fwb sport and target, all the asi range and lots more than the normal webley/bsa stuff.....will scan all airgun pages and post link when time allows.......but can anyone give me any info on the company please.. they were an offshoot of J.L.S. sound systems!......

I can't tell you anything about the company that isn't contained in their catalogues, but the catalogues are good reference material for the period.
    I have Catalogue No.2, dated 1969 consisting of 44 pages, Catalogue No.3 consisting of 87 pages plus price list No.2, dated 1970, and Catalogue No.5, dated 1973/4 consisting of 185 pages, plus price list No.7 dated Dec/75.

Hi.
    When you get a chance could you give me any info on the ASI Supermatch, as i have a Gamo MC-Contest which i believe is the same rifle.The only info i have is the parts list from Chambers.Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Logan

I used to deal with them in the early 80s (I worked at Parker Hale). The head honcho was a guy called John Scoltock (presumably John L. Scoltock hence the JLS). I seem to remember the address was Scoltock house, so presumably the property was in the family.

They're still going, importing firearms, knives, scopes and similar. I think they run a shooting club too. Have a google!

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

JLS are still very active i am a member of the Wednesbury Marksmen club, there is a 25m range in the building and they shoot at least once a month on MOD ranges. The airgun shop is upstairs.
    Its an excellent club and both shops are well stocked for airgunners and FAC holders.
    Not been down for a few week as i live in Barnsley, if you live in the area its worth having a look.

edbear2 Guest
    Many thanks to all who replied..I did "google" it when I got it, but had no luck...will try again with all this new info

Here ya go chap....

http://www.jls-wednesbury.org/index.html

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

i got my first shot gun from them a mossberg pump 12 g ( £128 with a box of shells ) in the mid 80's then 6 months later my first propper air gun webley vulcan mk 2 ( £67 or £69 )which i still have. that was a long time ago it was the big-ish glass fronted place on the far side of the market if i remember right one.

Hi,

Its now at perry street wednesbury, i believe they import firearms for the police forces, i remeber seing a spread some time ago, i also remeber reading the founder John Scoltock passed away a year or so ago.

I traded in my brand new vulcan deluxe and brand new tempest in 1985, to buy my then girlfriend (now wife) a ring!!! i got 70 pounds .

The used to have a small shop on the corner, and yes i remeber there catalogue was fantastic, if anyone has one i would buy it!!!

Very Helpful Guys, and nive memories of going after school and looking on their window!!!

atb

They are a very good reference catalogue & do come up occasionaly on that well known auction site....

JLS Arms

John Scoltock was an old family friend, his RFD no was wmp 001 and was a stalwart of the trade. I saw him not long before he died, quite coincidentally he told me that he had seen is old catalogues selling for good money and he found that amazing. The blond haired model in the catalogues is called Pauline.

Ormicron

Quote Originally Posted by dave8352 View Post
    Hi,

Its now at perry street wednesbury, i believe they import firearms for the police forces, i remeber seing a spread some time ago, i also remeber reading the founder John Scoltock passed away a year or so ago.

I traded in my brand new vulcan deluxe and brand new tempest in 1985, to buy my then girlfriend (now wife) a ring!!! i got 70 pounds .

The used to have a small shop on the corner, and yes i remeber there catalogue was fantastic, if anyone has one i would buy it!!!

Very Helpful Guys, and nive memories of going after school and looking on their window!!!

atb
    yes i remember the shop in wednesbury town centre opposite the clock,and right on the corner.
    Dean

Hi Ed,

In happier times, I Shot with,and against John Scoltock with Full Bore and .22 ISU Pistol on various Pistol Ranges around the West Midland's...Besides owning JLS, John was a fine Pistol Shot,and a very good supporter of Shooting in all it's various forms..On more than a few times we had drink,s together..I also bought lot,s of Shooting equipment from his well stocked shop's in Wednesbury..

Regard's

Inproved