Thread: Pellet Push

Pellet Push

Just an idea but some of you may find it handy with CO2 revolver type actions such as the S&W and also the winchester rifles. If you forget to change the CO2 bulb before it runs out of gas it will tend to jam the action with a pellet stuck with part of it in the barrel and part of it in the drum. I also find with my new gun that if I accidentally put a pellet in the wrong way round it gets jammed and I can not push it in or out. The only way to free it up is if one has a barrel brush to push the pellet back in to the drum. As I did not have a barrel brush I used a wire coat hanger cut to the length that I required one end was rounded with a file the other was bent in a circle about ¾ inch dia to hold on to and there you have it a nice little tool for pushing pellets out.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Great idea, Beagle! I find it a royal pain in the rear trying to clear a pellet jam, hence don't push my luck beyone 40 - 45 shots per CO2 cylinder with my Smith: regardless of how many shots you "should" be getting per cylinder.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

If you're havingt to unjam pellets from a barrel you need to be careful not to damage the rifling. The best material to use for such a tools is brass, it's strong enough to push pellets but the metal is soft enough to not scratch the steel barrel. I would be very wary of using a steel coathanger in a barrel, though it's cheap and bendy steel it could be hard enough to scratch a barrel. Airgun barrels can be surprisingly soft steel and there might be impurities in the coat hanger metal that could cause scratching.

Some people recommend wooden dowels over brass barrel rods, they're even softer.

Thanks for your comments Rob Re using a steel rod could damage the rifling in the barrel. I would like to point out that I am not suggesting that you push a steel rod down the barrel of your £800 + match pistol or rifle if a pellet should get stuck in such a gun. You would be using a wooden or aluminium rod I would have thought. My idea of using a wire coat hanger as something that most people would have available to use without having to find some place that would be willing to sell you one brazing rod. I cannot see that using a steel coat hanger having made shore that first it is strait with the end filed round. If you wish to you could rub it with fine emery cloth to make shore that it is quit smooth all over. I am shore that this would not damage the barrel of something like S&W revolver or similer that is hardly going to be used for match shooting.