Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guns of youth--Which ones?

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    ..I missed the top...hit the tyre and the rebound just missed my gonads..... happy days.
    Glad Im not the only Wally on this forum. Im my case it was Dunlops finest, an .22 Airsporter and just above my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by roduk View Post
    Pumping those cartridges made me the man I am today.
    rod
    Im glad I stayed with springers then.

My early airgun teen years involved a tatty Diana G34 bought for 50p which eventually, after many thousands of shots, gave up the struggle to survive. It was replaced by a brand new (£12! ) Diana G34 which gave sterling service until replaced with an, as new, BSA Airsporter. It was several years before I discovered purity in the form of German airguns.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 16-03-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

1st pistol was a Diana sp50, a christmas pressy when I was 11 back in 1975 from that moment on I went airgun mad, all birthdays, x'mas's, paper round money went on airguns. Still have all from my youth all minters. Diana 79 22, ASI SNIPER 22, BSA METEOR 177, BSA SCORPION 22, CROSSMAN 766, ORIGINAL 6 PISTOL 177, and my pride and joys ASI STATICAL 22, JACKAL HI-POWER 22. All forgotten about until mother wanted them cleared from her house 2 years back. Collected them, realised what I'd been missing. Since then have been collecting airguns I always hankered after as a kid.Up to about 25 now and still after the elusive JACKAL WOODSMAN 8" BARREL, AND HAMERLI 420 ABS PLASTIC MILITARY STOCK, anyone got one for sale? Also amazed at what was produced in the meantime, they also interest me but thats another thread. cheers Roll

Quote Originally Posted by roduk View Post
    forgot to mention the Saxby Palmer Galaxy .22 that I won from Airgun World.

My first brush with pneumatisism.

Straight off to Manchester Airguns to acquire more cartridges than the five supplied. Worn in a 12g cartridge belt I looked the biz. ( a bit of a pillock on the bus tho' ). Pumping those cartridges made me the man I am today.

Anyway it was nicked by one of my sister,s gruesome and chemically addled suitors who was caught with it whilst breaking into a chemist. He still languishes at HM's pleasure and I never saw the rifle again.

For it's time it really was a remarkable air rifle.

it's funny the memories this forum triggers

regs

rod
    saxby and palmer
    i had one of those but with the big (one and a half pumps ) pump
    so it was easy /should have kept that one
    bought it out of the wifes catalogue /when you could do that

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Guns of youth

All interesting stuff. Ive tried to educate my nephew and nieces in the right way (they are all adults now) and so far it has cost me a Bsa mk5 meteor,a Daisy 922 pump up,a Hawk mk3,a Webley junior mk2 pistol, a Webley ranger,a Diana 15, a Diana mk 4 pistol,a Diana G4 pistol,a Diana 22,a Meteor mk4 and a Webley Falcon-----Also a modern Webley Typhoon but we wont mention that. Almost forgot, I did a mk5 meteor for my mates lad. I quite like to tinker but it can get bloody expensive. I get the guns in "used" condition and just get them up and running safely. Sometimes I reblue and sometimes I refinish the stocks,usually with an oiled finish----I do like them to look their age. The Hawk mk3 I got was in brilliant condition. I reckon It had fired less than 500 shots from new. It was too good for me to justify keeping really which is why I passed it on to my nephew.
    Keep the thread going please.

Days gone by!

Kicked off at the ripe old age of 10 with the all accurate & powerful Gat, firing darts.
    Progressed up the ranks to a Biakal IJ38 .177, this was power in comparison to the Gat.
    An Xmas prezzie around the age of 13 was a .22 BSA Meteor, now im in the real league, I dont think there was anything left without a hole in it.
    At 14 I saved for weeks to buy an HW77, purchased from a shop down the road from Streatham Armoury, managed to crack the stock fitting a silencer, Yes, my gunsmithing skills were extremely poor at the time.
    At 19, purchased another 77 this time from Streatham Armoury, what a shop.
    Still have the Meteor & second 77 which I would not sell for love nor money
    Last edited by heirflick; 14-03-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    My first air rifle; Baikal IJ38

my guns

first nice one a vulcan mk1 .
    always wanted a titan mohawk or jb1
    i can remember ogling the blue streak and silver streak in a local sports shop in the seventies but i was a kid.
    wanted a brocock herald for the looks.
    now just crave pump up pneumatics - shot more rabbits with an innova than all my other guns for the last 20 years !!!!!!
    oh and i think the p h phoenix is a bit of a looker !

Shot my first rabbit with a Webley MKIII and 4x20 BSA scope (good quality one). I had to take my feet off the ground to cock it
    Realized it was rubbish and saved up to exchange the Webley for a FWB Sport .177; WH35's were way too heavy. What a rifle and it accounted for a lot of vermin. Scopes were always a problem and I never did get a Moonlighter; have now Kassnar were not as hgood as the press would have you believe and big scopes were not great either.
    Finally, upgraded to a Theoben Sirocco and went through a couple.
    Always .177 and shot placement was everything.

Then took a break for 18 years and shot proper rifles.

Now, back to air power and have had pretty much everything I wanted back then. I shoot a Sport again. Wow, how disappointing so many of the old stuff was out of the box.

Good rifles are:
    FWB Sport, HW77, Sharp Innova, Original 45, Theobens and Vulcan.
    The Sharps are still hard work to keep working and pump. The Vulcan MKI is still great for the £ though out classed; the rest are frankly poor until the Omega. The HW35E are a bit hit and miss and in .177 loose a bit on the power stakes; heavy but accurate (its the trigger that wins). The Anschutz 335 is nice but well low on power and a bit basic, accurate though. Get a good Original 45 and they are outstanding but most are very average; .177 are the better bet. BSF are fine but extremely dated and far from perfect. BSA's Airsporter S or Mercurry's are very average if not poor.

Theobens have always been very good but you pay for it and the companies after sale service is rather robust and expensive.

If I was to only have two old springers then it would be a FWB Sport and a HW77. Scopes before 1986 from Tasco and Optima were great. After this date you have to be very canny to were a particular model was made and when. Most makes were only good for a couple of years; just look at Simmons and Nikko.
    Last edited by Muskett; 14-03-2009 at 08:58 PM.

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    THE WEBLEY VICTOR i owned one back in the 80s along with a new venom 77 varminter..

the victor had something about it that i just love to this day...i had an 'airforce' mod i believe it was fitted to it with a 'hunter' 4x32.

happy days.

id pay well to find a victor now

My Dad gave me an ASI Sniper for my 9th birthday but had to wait till my
    16th to get the fwb sport, £84.95 from Optima!! those were the day's.
    Rich

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    I've now got all the rifles I owned in my younger days.

Feinwerkbau Sport 127.
    Air Arms Highpower.
    Air Arms Camargue.
    Vemon HW80.

I wouuld like a little AR17 was it Crossman or Daisy they were great fun in the garden.

Maybe one of the Sheridans. Apart from those I'm happy with what I've got .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    I've now got all the rifles I owned in my younger days.

Feinwerkbau Sport 127.
    Air Arms Highpower.
    Air Arms Camargue.
    Vemon HW80.

I wouuld like a little AR17 was it Crossman or Daisy they were great fun in the garden.

Maybe one of the Sheridans. Apart from those I'm happy with what I've got .

Hi Gary.

It was made by Crosman. I brought mine with me to the Collectable shoot at Rivi. Next time we meet up I'll bring it along.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

edbear2 Guest
    For me.....used to share guns in our "gang".......thats the tree climbing, egg collecting, den building type, not the currant incarnation!....so it was cadet, cadet major, one or two of "borrowed" prewars from dads and relatives....then a couple of us got meteors , my first actual "airgun" was a daisy winchester "spittin image" BB repeater (big cowboy fan at the time!)...crimbo gift.....I was too grateful to say I actually had wanted a "proper" air rifle......ie with rifling, that shot lead.....but it was a 40 shot repeater, which gave me the edge as I made my mates squeal as they tried to reload their single shot guns I also soon learned how to duck whilst shooting it at a steel target trap.......the BBs come straight back at you!!!!!!.......got loads of my friends, and even my dad with this.......looking back we could have been blinded, but compared to the airgun battles we had wearing old goggles and tin hats ....it was pretty good range discipline for us...happy days

Smile Ratgunner

I was given an Original Mod 22 ( I think ) in .177cal around 1952 it had a brass lined barrel and was deadly accurate, my Brother and I used to shoot at cards side on at around thirty feet and every 5 or 6,000 pellets we would hit one so it must have been??

In 1953 my Brother bought me a Webley Junior .177 which took weeks of grunting and sweating before my puny little arms could cock it, I still have it and shoot it regularly, strangely enough the older I get the harder it is to cock?

Simple, simple

Diane Mod 2, the pop out, used to take it to school in a holster, actually shot the bum of a disbeliever in class when I was about 12. Not PC!
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Webley Hawke ( I'm sure it's spelled with an E )

Fixed barrel 0.22

Always used open sights

Bought it when I was 17 from the local Sports shop.

Boz