Thread: Nitro conversion

Question Nitro conversion

can any one enlighten me on the advantages of having a black powder revolver converted to Nitro powder please ?

Hi
    Ive had mine done so that I can shoot on an indoor range without all the smoke and I dont like cleaning guns of any type so its a lot less work in that department.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Are the nitro conversions still legal (as per match rules) to shoot in most muzzleloading competitions?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    Not sure of the legality of their use in muzzleloading competitions but i've shot a couple of western comps over the last few weeks and quite a number were in use. I dont think they would be acceptable at a SASS run event but they work over here.

What is your Western-group called?

My wife and I used to belong to SASS, and shot in a few matches. We enjoyed it, but the range where the matches were held was too far away.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim
    In the UK its the British Western Shooting Society BWSS, affiliated to SASS but obviously taylored to our more restrictive laws.

Black powder/nitro convertions.

Other than being able to shoot in doors i cant personally see the point of converting a black powder muzzle loader to nitro. I like the smoke and flames that go with using black powder but thats just my view. However along with the Ruger old army nitro convertion i was looking at the Westlake long barrel revolver convertion to muzzle loader at the gun fair at Newark a couple of weeks ago and that make real sense to me. Gone is the wrist brace and the long barrel and the Taurus now feels balanced and more usable. Ok theres a bit more to loading it but i bet with practice it would not be an issue. Also you have to measure it against having to reload your bullets. Removing the spent primers, cleaning the cases, re priming, filling with powder and then reloading the bullet before evan going to the range. Tempting. Very tempting.
    Anyone tried one yet?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Other than being able to shoot in doors i cant personally see the point of converting a black powder muzzle loader to nitro. I like the smoke and flames that go with using black powder but thats just my view. However along with the Ruger old army nitro convertion i was looking at the Westlake long barrel revolver convertion to muzzle loader at the gun fair at Newark a couple of weeks ago and that make real sense to me. Gone is the wrist brace and the long barrel and the Taurus now feels balanced and more usable. Ok theres a bit more to loading it but i bet with practice it would not be an issue. Also you have to measure it against having to reload your bullets. Removing the spent primers, cleaning the cases, re priming, filling with powder and then reloading the bullet before evan going to the range. Tempting. Very tempting.
    Anyone tried one yet?
    Nope. Not interested, me.

To me it's giving in to the imposition of a ridiculous 'law'.

It's why I don't have any section 7 firearms either. The thought of standing there while I am grudgingly 'permitted' to shoot my own handgun just boils me up.

tac

Other than being able to shoot in doors i cant personally see the point of converting a black powder muzzle loader to nitro.

Less cleaning time?

Jim

Hi
    Tacfoley do you shoot black powder revolvers if so i'd be interested in what you have and what loads and caps do you use. I have 4 .44s , 3 of which are converted, the last one i'am toying with the idea of leaving as is and using pyrodex or 777 as the extraction system cant cope with b/p at my range.
    Also what is your cleaning regime.

Quote Originally Posted by somtec View Post
    Hi
    Tacfoley do you shoot black powder revolvers if so i'd be interested in what you have and what loads and caps do you use. I have 4 .44s , 3 of which are converted, the last one i'am toying with the idea of leaving as is and using pyrodex or 777 as the extraction system cant cope with b/p at my range.
    Also what is your cleaning regime.
    Yus, I shoot BP revolvers. I have a Ruger Old Army [stainless] and a Second Series Colt Walker.

I use Remington #11 caps on both, although on occasions 10.75's have fitted too. Loads are easy - 25gr of Pyrodex P in the ROA, and 45gr of FFFg in the Walker. No wads, just E45 dermalogical hand-cream over the end of the chamber.

The ROA shoots into 2-3" at 25m, and the Walker around 3-4" at the same distance.

We are not permitted to shoot indoors BP/subs on our indoor range.

tac

Anyone tried one yet?
    Westlake is in the process of producing the first batch of ten Taurus nitro conversions, so only the prototype has been produced.

I have one of the first batch on order, so as soon as I've received it and tried it out, I will report on here.

Hi
    Two nice revolvers you got there Tacfoley totally different ends of the historical spectrum yet both big beasties. Which one do you feel has the most oompf when you shoot them and does the lever fall down on the Walker.
    Must be good to fire them with bp but then its back to the cleaning scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by somtec View Post
    Hi
    Two nice revolvers you got there Tacfoley totally different ends of the historical spectrum yet both big beasties. Which one do you feel has the most oompf when you shoot them and does the lever fall down on the Walker.
    Must be good to fire them with bp but then its back to the cleaning scenario.
    Yup - it IS great fun to shoot them both, but the Walker wins hands down on the 'ooomph' scale. You can't argue with 45gr of the real thing, even though the Walker does a weigh a good bit more than the ROA.

...and no, the lever doesn't fall down on firing, thanks to the cunning application of a small but strong rubber band.

Cleaning up is part and parcel of the whole shooting experience for me, and I don't mind it at all.

Last time I was over in Oregon I had twelve handguns to clean after a shooting session.

And an M1 Garand, and an SKS, two ARs and a Rumainian AK74, a Dragunov SVD and a couple of old bolt-actions.

All mine, and I didn't care one bit. Good job I didn't take them ALL out - i'd be cleaning yet.

Hoppes - the smell of heaven in a bottle....

tac

Thumbs up Bit the bullet so to speak, bought one

Went to look at a Uberti 1873 Cattleman converted to Nitro, 2.5 grains Bullseye, will be trying it tomorrow and will post results,