Thread: J.H.Steward sight tube / scope thing....please help!

edbear2 Guest

J.H.Steward sight tube / scope thing....please help!

I recently got an old, what looks like a sight tube..ie no lens at the front.....It is made by J.H. Steward, a respected london optician who in the mid 1800's, became the optician to the government, the national artillery association, and the NRA.......it is 9 and 1/2 inches long by 1 inch diameter, and has a mechanical iris feature in the housing in front of the eyepiece.....there is also a box with loads of finely ground, colored glass inserts made by the British High Temperature Glass Company (phoenix), with each packet stating "accurate to 4 minutes of arc".does anyone know the age/use of this please.......it came with other target related stuff by parker hale etc. in a case, so I am assuming it is a target shooting related item!.......pictures here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7614923810220/

Thanks in advance for any info!

An interesting item, it could be the tube from a tube rearsight; Freeland type; without the mounts. As Stewards are still in business you could try asking them. Alternatively you might wish to post the query on the Research Press Board.

Rgds
    Rutty

Given the adjustable iris and the various filters I would hazard a guess that its part of some form of spectroscope rather than a sight. Spectroscopes are used to determine light wavelengths to help identify materials when exposed to heat; they were also used to check furnace temperatures. From its composition I'm guessing its a post 1970's model.
    I hope this helps