Thread: Eley Wasps

Eley Wasps

Is there anywhere that still has any old 5.6mm stock??????

Failing that, what other pellets come in 5.6mm and are of a similar weight and shape??

Join the long line mate..Many still looking for these..
    I dó know that FTT has the 5.5 size
    ATB,
    yana

Wink Ealy wasp 5.6

Hi eastgrinsted guns and westerns brighton have some in 5.6 and 5.5
    'if you had my problems you would be glad to keep your own'

Quote Originally Posted by MARK View Post
    Hi eastgrinsted guns and westerns brighton have some in 5.6 and 5.5

Yes but are they Eley Wasps or the crap new Wasps ?

All the best Mick

Eley wasps

I very much doubt if anyone has a stock of the old Eley Wasps or BSA Pylarms

The new 5.6mm Wasps are an inferior quality and poor substitute - and NOT made by Eley

You could try John Knibb's 5.6mm Marksmen pellets made for old British .22's

These have a skirt size of about 5.84 - 5.87mm and are fine for the older British .22's
    However I found that about 5% of the pellets in the box were either too big for the loading taps of old BSA underlevers and have to be pushed into the tap, or worse still some are undersize (it will be like dry firing the gun).
    So check them first
    My Mk1 Airsporter will shoot 3"-3.5" -10 shot groups at 50 yards with these.
    H&N do a 5.54mm head size FT Trophy which also do well out of my old BSA's(but are about £8.50/tin-so not for plinking)
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I very much doubt if anyone has a stock of the old Eley Wasps or BSA Pylarms

The new 5.6mm Wasps are an inferior quality and poor substitute - and NOT made by Eley

You could try John Knibb's 5.6mm Marksmen pellets made for old British .22's

These have a skirt size of about 5.84 - 5.87mm and are fine for the older British .22's
    However I found that about 5% of the pellets in the box were either too big for the loading taps of old BSA underlevers and have to be pushed into the tap, or worse still some are undersize (it will be like dry firing the gun).
    So check them first
    My Mk1 Airsporter will shoot 3"-3.5" -10 shot groups at 50 yards with these.
    H&N do a 5.54mm head size FT Trophy which also do well out of my old BSA's(but are about £8.50/tin-so not for plinking)
    Hi John

I had the last tin of proper Wasps John Knibbs had in stock.
    Funny enough he asked me why I wanted those horrible old pellets.

I now size my own pellets up to a 5.8mm head size using an old drill press and a brass di.

I use pellets with a solid head such as Powerpells or Napier power hunters for this.

I put the pellet upside down in the di then squash the head so it expands using a small pin on the drill press.

This squeezes the heads to the id of the di (5.8 mm), I never bother with the tails as I find the head size is the all important measurement.

It takes a while to do a tin of pellets but I find it worth it for the tighter grouping I get from 5.6mm guns.

All the best Mick

Talking Wasp

Hi yes there the new crap not the old crap :d
    'if you had my problems you would be glad to keep your own'

there are plenty of the new ones everywhere but i dont want them.

so what are the viable alternatives? are bulldog pellets any good?

pending on your gun/barrel i found milbro select & milbro TR were good in older guns as they have a head size of 5.56/5.57 i bought to tins of the new type wasp 5.5 & 5.6 they both had a head size of 5.30 no good in most barrels, but i found they would group in an FWB sport and an orignal 35 i put that down to both having tight bores.

daryl

RWS Superdomes seem to perform best in my old 0.22 barrels even though they are nominally only 5,5 mm like most others.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Surprisingly webley/crosman verminpells work really well in my .56 Hurricane pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by ianm1 View Post
    there are plenty of the new ones everywhere but i dont want them.

so what are the viable alternatives? are bulldog pellets any good?
    Bulldogs are much better than they used to be, wne I got into airgunning about 25 years ago they were very poor, they are much better now, especially in older British guns, though still not massively accurate, I do a lot of plinking though and they are fine for that.

I would give Milbro Select a try, they are a similar shape to the old Wasps, not quite so consistent though, but I do find they work well in my old Webley Mk3 rifles. One of my Webley Mk3s (early 70s model) also likes Milbro TRs too, though the other one (early 50s model) doesn't.

Give Bulldogs and Milbros a try, you never know your luck! People slag off the cheaper pellets but they can be good in some guns. I tried Milbro Select in my BSA Super Ten and found that while you get the odd flier, group sizes are generally very good, but then the club I generally go to only has a 20 metre range, so I don't know what they're like at longer ranges.

Thanks for the input, give the pellets recomended a go first and see how it pans out.