Thread: Old Airsporter.

Old Airsporter.

I have just been talking to my next door neighbour and the topic of airguns came up. He said he has an old .22 Airsporter in a wardrobe. I asked him if he would like me to chrono it for him. 5 minutes later I he came round with the gun and I have put it through the chrono and it's about 10% underpowered but there's smoke coming out of the barrel after each shot (burnt oil). He oils it periodically to keep it in good condition and I'm wondering if he's put some down the loading tap causing it to diesel. He bought it in 1962 and it is in very good condition with the stock having a few very light surface scratches on the butt end. The blueing is also very good with one small scratch on the barrel and two small areas of light pitting. One of the side screws that goes through the stock isn't original and the tunnel from the foresight is missing but barring that I would say that the gun looks like it's just come out of the shop. It also has the original spring in it so I would say that is well overdue a replacement.
    The serial number is: GD22061.
    Can anyone tell me if the gun is much older than 1962 and roughly how much it's worth?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Gary.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Power should be around 10.5ft.lb as with most Airsporters, and will age it for you when I am back home with my reference books later today . For full info etc, feel this thread would be best placed in the Collectors section so i will move it there for you . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Gary,

Just completed a check and serial number GD22061 isn't a MkI. but a MkII .22 manufactured in the first half of the 1960s, which marries perfectly with his recollections of buying it in 1962 . As for the dieseling, sounds to me to be definitely down to the regular protective oiling. I'd strip and clean out as much as poss, if poss, to avoid burning the piston (don't laugh, can happen ), although no need to go mad, just remove the worst of it and allow the residue to disappear during use (reckon shooting half a tin should do it ). Do hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks for your time and trouble Gareth. I will relay the information to him when I get home from work tonight.
    Regards,
    Gary.