Thread: Which spring?

Question Which spring?

is best for a .22 HW 80? Standard HW, Ox spring or Ox spring "accelerator"? Anyone done a comparison? As far as i can ascertain the accelerator is just the same as the standard Ox spring but with baked on lube.

Just bought a right dog that was supposedly a good 'un and it needs new everything. Not taking it to FAC, just want 11.5/smooth/reliable.

Not much to ask is it?

TMIA.

avoid ox springs like the plague,they will put your 80 way over the limit....they even put wheelie bins(where they belong) over the limit.....binmen say no no no we can't take those

just get a regular round section spring from chambers

OX spring - just say no!

Standard alll the way mate as that way you will be able to hit stuff.
    Help yourself to sauces down the end there...

Buy a Bonnie & Clyde kit - worth the bit extra against a normal spring. Well worth the money

Spring

You could try a titan mainspring or a titan xs, i find these very good indeed and very reasonably priced If you want to spend a bit more try a v-mach or maccari spring.

Thumbs up

HW round section it is then, always used them in 77's I've done up.
    I was just tempted by the writing on the packaging, again.

Ta muchly.

Why has OX springs got such a bad reputation for making things into shoulder breaking cannons. As far as i can remember they have had this reputation so why are they still in business as people must be buying their stuff?????

I agree with the other guys on here, BONNIE & CLYDE is the way to go, you will find only the best quality stuff

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by clanger View Post
    Why has OX springs got such a bad reputation for making things into shoulder breaking cannons. As far as i can remember they have had this reputation so why are they still in business as people must be buying their stuff?????

I agree with the other guys on here, BONNIE & CLYDE is the way to go, you will find only the best quality stuff

Kev
    they throw some guns way over the limit or cause excessive recoil as strictly speaking they are ''magnum rated''

I wonder how many tons of metal are just laying around in unwanted Ox springs.Maybe they should all be collected up and sold to raise money for some worthy cause.

Quote Originally Posted by uk litehammer View Post
    I wonder how many tons of metal are just laying around in unwanted Ox springs.Maybe they should all be collected up and sold to raise money for some worthy cause.
    thats a good idea i have quite a few anybody want them

bonnie&clyde all the way mate

joe
    Brno mod-2 .22lr, Benelli M2 Boom Stick, Tikka M595 .243, Custom Rem 700 .284

surley
    if its a known that ox springs will push a perfectly legal sub 12flb air rifle over the legal limit, how on earth did they get a Home Office ticket to sell this as a non FAC item.
    or is this part just a urban myth and they just cause more noise and vibration in the piston chamber?
    HW 97k .22, 4x40 Nicko Sterling scope, SportsMatch mounts, very new, shoots like a dream
    BSA Meteor .22, 4x40 scope? mounts?, very old, shoots like a drugged rhino, needs TLC

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Sfs

Sandwell Field Sports do some great springs and they are very reasonably priced, give them a bell and ask for Tony, As mentioned avoid any square section springs.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Back in the late eighties I had a square stocked HW80 and I bought an OX "Maximiser" kit, it put out 16.9 ft/lbs when I took it to the gun shop (where I bought the kit) for a chrono test, and the proprietor seized it until I brought the standard spring in, and charged me £25 to "put it right" (bit of a cheek when I think about it, he sold me the bloody thing after all).
    For the couple of dozen pellets I did get to put through it, it was great! (though had a thumping recoil and was hard to cock).
    Surely they've changed them in the intervening 20 years.

as your gun is a bit of a dog as you say,, do the job right,, get some barrel shims, a breach and piston seal, now,,, as for springs,, I have used the OX spring and never had a problem with one, but they need cutting down and the end making off nice,, but I do realy like Titan springs but they need cutting down as well, a bonnie and clyde spring and guides, plus the seals is way I would go, and of course a nice clean and polish inside.