Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westlake Air Pistol

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Westlake Air Pistol

Just got from Gunbroker.com and shot today, a Made in China Westlake springer pistol. It cost me $10, and another $10 for shipping, and was worth the price, even if it ends up as a paperweight, which is likely!

It's a plain, sturdy looking pistol. I'm not used to springers, and enjoyed the little bit of kick that it had.

The sights are atrocious! I'd rate them worse than the Old West notch and blade or the sight on the military Colt .45. The front sight protrudes very high, looks like the sight on the old P 38, and you have to keep your hand away from it when cocking it.

It shoots high and to the right. I'm not sure the rear sight is even adjusting when I fiddle with the screws, but I'll work on it.

It locks up nice. Seems as though it's built to last.

On the whole, it's the sort of pistol that every air pistol buff needs to own ONE of. But no more than one!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hey Jim,

What model is it?

Send me a pic please.

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I think they're sold as a SMK S2 in this country for about the equivilent of $60 unposted.....at least someone at SMK has got a sense of humour!

Westlake

Ive got one of these, given it free at the weekend. Smoothbore !
    I cannot hit a barn door with it at five paces ha ha.

I had a couple when I was a kid. At the time the S2 was marketed as Westlake. Rifled break barrel, plain wooden grip, sharp edges to the trigger. The rear sight on mine never adjusted enough for elevation, and the windage screws were jammed. I had some fun with it. It felt like a huge step up from a Gat.

Edit to add: I think the Westlake name might have been attached to a few different Chinese guns, so yours might not be an S2, although it does sound like one.
    Last edited by Nikkormat; 19-03-2009 at 08:24 AM.

It's the chinese equivalent of a G10 then.

And you could hit the barn door....

If you threw it hard enough.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Hey Jim,

What model is it?

Send me a pic please.

Tony
    I owe you some other pics, Tony: it's going to be an album soon! But I hope to get around to it...soon...

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by audi80 View Post
    Ive got one of these, given it free at the weekend. Smoothbore !
    I cannot hit a barn door with it at five paces ha ha.
    yours is a .22 then Audi. The .177 is rifled.

The S2 is a plain hardwood grip, XS3 is rifled (oooops, grooved even) for a scope and in a polymer ish shaped grip.

http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/category/airguns-pistols/

scroll down a bit

Russ
    Last edited by Firestorm; 19-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Sounds like mine is a rifled S2, then. I never gave it a thought about being rifled or not, but the grip is or appears to be wood, and it takes .177 pellets.

Jim

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post

Russ
    Nope....nothing like a G10
    (google SMK S2 and all will become clear)

When the novelty has worn off (tomorrow?) Jim, if you still fancy an inexpensive springer, go for a Baikal 53M. Pyramidair used to sell them. They are solid, well made and accurate. Hard to shoot well due to recoil but very satisfying when you do.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

yours is a .22 then Audi. The .177 is rifled.

The S2 is a plain hardwood grip, XS3 is rifled (oooops, grooved even) for a scope and in a polymer ish shaped grip.

http://www.sportsmk.co.uk/category/airguns-pistols/

scroll down a bit

Russ

From the pics: mine is clearly the SMK S2, .177.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    When the novelty has worn off (tomorrow?) Jim, if you still fancy an inexpensive springer, go for a Baikal 53M. Pyramidair used to sell them. They are solid, well made and accurate. Hard to shoot well due to recoil but very satisfying when you do.

Oh God yes, cracking pistol.

Russ

Thumbs up Pistol

Jim does'nt matter if its a plinker or as we say over here a "plonker" enjoy it still "happy shooting"...Mike...

And you could hit the barn door....

If you threw it hard enough.

Russ
    Leave it out Russ the G10 is a power house and hi-tech compared to the Westlake.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.