Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Westlake Air Pistol

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Jim does'nt matter if its a plinker or as we say over here a "plonker" enjoy it still "happy shooting"...Mike...
    Thanks, Mike.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    When the novelty has worn off (tomorrow?) Jim, if you still fancy an inexpensive springer, go for a Baikal 53M. Pyramidair used to sell them. They are solid, well made and accurate. Hard to shoot well due to recoil but very satisfying when you do.
    Pyramyd Air still has them, Derek. They're offering them for about $53.00 - I guess that would be about 35 UK pounds.

Anyone: how does this Baikal 53M compare with an HW 70?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I've never handled or shot an HW 70, but have no doubt that it is of a finer quality than the Baikal. Having said that, so is the price.

Despite it's low cost, the Baikal is well engineered, if somewhat agricultural.

The anti-bear trap is positive, the real thing, not just a trigger block.

It is also very accurate, if the mutt on the butt can handle a springer with a moderately heavy trigger. The trigger can easily be improved with a little polishing and a change of springs.

A well made and satisfying gun, even if it get's a laugh because of it's low price.

Over here a common mantra is "you get what you pay for", but sometimes it turns out to be "you paid for what you hoped you would get".

I don't think you Americans are quite so impressed by price and rightly so.

Chance the 53 bucks and have some fun!
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Thanks, Derek.

I always like to say, "You get what you pay for. If you're lucky."

Americans used to be a frugal people ("A penny saved, is a penny earned." : the pioneers ; etc. ). We lost that trait, after WW II, but have become more frugal in the past few months!

Jim

Anyone know what the power level is on these pistols?

I've got one of these.... had it since the late '80's. Marked: "Westlake" made in China. Rifled barrel (.177) used to be fairly accurate. Used it recently after it had been in loft for about 10 years..... seems to have plenty of power, but accuracy is way off (shoots very high) even when sights have been adjusted to min elevation. Obviously needs new seals, clean, and lube. I remember it was boxed when I bought in new condition from a second-hand shop, but cannot remember the manufacturer's details.

Hi Jim, I'd make a guess at power level being about 2.5 to 3 ft lb/ fpe. I had one a few years back. I have a 1930's Diana Model 5 air pistol I've restored and this seems to be the design the Chinese have copied for the S2. The Westlake is solid steel and seems ok value for not much money.

atb torrens

If anyone has an s2 they don't want, I'll pay the postage I'm after one because my friend and I are wanting a cheap pistol to fire darts through, so we can play 'Darts' with air pistols...Obiviously safety is our main concern. Plus, i've heard of darts ruining rifling in air pistols

Quote Originally Posted by torrens View Post
    Hi Jim, I'd make a guess at power level being about 2.5 to 3 ft lb/ fpe. I had one a few years back. I have a 1930's Diana Model 5 air pistol I've restored and this seems to be the design the Chinese have copied for the S2. The Westlake is solid steel and seems ok value for not much money.

atb torrens
    I agree with this, except I think they make more like 1.5 - 2 ft ibs. Uncomfortable grip, poor sights, harsh firing cycle, heavy creepy trigger. But
    solidly made, probably the cheapest "proper" air pistol out there, and does shoot a consistent group - though not a tight one.

I remember Chris Wright testing one in AirGunner and saying it had no windage adjustment and later being called out on the letters page to concede that it did, but (if I recalll correctly) that the screws on the one sent to him by SMK/BGT or whoever had been so tight that he'd given up trying to make it work.

I have one somewhere and must take it out and shoot it again some time.

Thanks, everyone. I wanted to be certain that it was sub-6 because I was sending it to someone in the UK. I'm satusfied that it's WELL within those power limits , and it's en route.

Shooting darts with it? Probably a good use for it!

Westlake

Hi Jim,

Bought a westlake from SMK for about 19 quid (pounds) for a bit of fun, I loved the way you had to shoot it two handed as you

Needed two fingers to pull the trigger spent a lot of time playing with it and eventually filed the sears enough to make a

Decent pistol of it, once sorted found it amazingly accurate with a red dot grafted to it,

Mine had the Polymer-ish butt,

Have fun Mate,

Bernard.

Well, mine arrived safely in the UK.