Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosives

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Explosives

Just had my renewal for my explosives licence through

New regulations and conditions (2005) are now in force and can be found at www.hse.gov.uk

Cheers

Jim
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Hi Jim

What are the changes ?

The link takes me to their general site & I have poked around a bit - but nothing jumps out as different

What am I missing ?

ATB

Roy

Changes

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hi Jim

What are the changes ?

The link takes me to their general site & I have poked around a bit - but nothing jumps out as different

What am I missing ?

ATB

Roy

Since I posted the last message I've had the opportunity to poke around myself. As far as I know the only change is to the specification of the storage box (apologies if I've got this wrong but I can't find my previous specs).

".....securely fixed, robust steel hinges and a secure hasp used with a security grade padlock."
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

If you are referring to the 2005 Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) then you're a bit behind the pack. Everybody will have had at least one certificate issued in accordance with them.

What is new is that I hear that Explosives Certificates are going to be issued for 5 years rather than 3, so that they can be made to run from the same dates as FAC's and SGC's. It seems that this change is pretty far along. Anybody else heard about this ?

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gott View Post
    If you are referring to the 2005 Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations (MSER) then you're a bit behind the pack. Everybody will have had at least one certificate issued in accordance with them.

What is new is that I hear that Explosives Certificates are going to be issued for 5 years rather than 3, so that they can be made to run from the same dates as FAC's and SGC's. It seems that this change is pretty far along. Anybody else heard about this ?
    That they specify a security grade padlock. Not much use with a mild steel hasp and staple.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    That they specify a security grade padlock.
    This isn't health and safety, first they insist that you turn your BP store in to a bomb and now they want you to add shrapnel to the outside

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gott View Post
    What is new is that I hear that Explosives Certificates are going to be issued for 5 years rather than 3, so that they can be made to run from the same dates as FAC's and SGC's. ....
    Hooray ..... I've never understood why they couldn't make them co-terminus

Last edited by harricook; 22-03-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Im not bothered about the padlock or the clasp, would imagine the box would burn through enough to be the weak point well before the powder goes bang. What bothers me is the box being fastened to the wall. In the event of a fire i want to be able to sling the box into the pond outside the back door pretty sharpish, i dont want to have to prat about looking for a key. Im sure the fire service would rather not have my stock of the black stuff chained up either.
    Im suprised we dont have to register it with the fire service so they know whats in the house in case of emergancy. Tim

Information

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Im suprised we dont have to register it with the fire service so they know whats in the house in case of emergancy. Tim
    I've sent the forms back now, so I can't check, but I'm sure that I remember a section that says the Chief Constable may share the information with the Fire Service where he deems it necessary.

The Bosun's Watch

Makes sense for the emergancy departments to know you have explosives in the house. Have just had a look at my licences to see if theres anything on them and noticed my transfer recipiant authority document has expired so its a good job i looked. Tim

...Im suprised we dont have to register it with the fire service so they know whats in the house in case of emergancy. Tim
    Makes sense for the emergancy departments to know you have explosives in the house. ... Tim
    Years ago - probably 1994 (ish) - I came home to my previous address in West Drayton, Middx (near Heathrow) - to be told that I'd had a Fire Tender outside the house & Firemen knocking on the door

I cra**ed myself - rang the local station - to be told - "they wanted to see the location of my Black Powder storage" ...

I asked why they didn't also want to know where my Propane & butane cylinders were ....... not interested

So they are told ......

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 24-03-2009 at 07:36 AM.

I thought that I had read somewhere recently that they are now reconsidering the stipulation that the box is chained to the wall.

I believe my firearms officer is under the impression that, in the event of fire, I will find the key, unlock box and run out of the house with it. I think I'd sooner save the guns and let the powder fizz when the flames reach it.

They don't all stipulate it.
    Some of "them" have a bit of sense.
    Though not enough of them, to go by some of the comments on this site !

If you get told to lock the box to a fixture, say you will comply, ask for it in writing, send a reply explaining why it is a bad idea and tell them that you will inform your insurance company who may hold the police vicariously liable for excess damage caused by irremoveable burning powder in the event of a fire.

Works for me.
    Last edited by Don Gott; 24-03-2009 at 06:02 AM. Reason: last paragraph

yep - mine asked years ago for it to be chained

when I queried it - he said "it's to prevent CASUAL removal"

What the F does that mean .... they would need to get past the dogs, me & the alarm system !!!

Last edited by harricook; 24-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.

It's a wooden box for the love of Pete, you can chain it to the floor, fit enormous padlocks etc none of which will stop someone prising the end off with a screwdriver

Will we all have to chain our fireworks up come November 5th?

Are they responding to a theft/accident, or, are they just trying to make it awkward to keep?