Thread: Leapers SWAT 8-32x56 Mil Dot 30mm Side Focus (Non IR)

Leapers SWAT 8-32x56 Mil Dot 30mm Side Focus (Non IR)

After terminally breaking my 2 day old secondhand scope (Richter Optik, Note to self don't over tighten mounts ) I needed a good scope to sit on my MK4 and fairly quickly. So I placed an order with JSR and as usual it was here the next morning (I think Edward must grease the palms of Royal Mail )

Anyhow I thought a short review of the scope was in order, bear with me as I'm not a writer (as will no doubt be obvious in the next few paragraphs )

The basis for buying this particular scope was on the strength of Terrys review in AGW.

Included 'bits' & Build quality:

Solid one piece 30mm tube construction, nicely finished with a matt black coating. The included sunshade is as expected a good fit and cuts down the glare nicely. Lens caps are a tight fit both over the tube and closure.

The elevation turret has a nice positive feel the windage turret slightly less so (although it is in no way poor, just slightly less positive) The finger locking system works very well and accidental zero changes should be eliminated. The turrets are also zero resettable with the aid of an allen key, but take care to read the supplied manual as there is a set sequence in which to do it so as not to damage the scope. My only minor gripe is the zoom ring which is very tight.

Optics:

Optically the scope is crisp and clear, no aberrations and no real noticeable washout even at 32x, until the sun was directly in front of me at least Pulling the mag back down to 20x and everything became clear again.

Parallax focusing is, as TD mentioned, nice and snappy and with the larger 100mm wheel very repeatable. The graduated scale on the wheel isn't 100% accurate (they never are) but it isn't that far out, I'll be setting up the ranges next week and I have every confidence that it will dial in every time.

I forgot to add, the scope happily parallaxes down to a shade under 10yds on full mag.

Value for money:

At £165 plus £18 for the sidewheel I consider the scope to be very good value, whilst not on a par with the big nikko it's certainly as good as many, more expensive scopes. On that note I'm fairly sure the Leapers is identical to the AGS scope (the AGS even exhibits the slightly 'muddy' windage turret and similarly very tight zoom ring) and considering the Leapers is nearly £100 cheaper, I can't praise it enough.( Edit: it appears AGS prices have dropped dramatically in recent weeks and are now on a par with Leapers prices, I wonder why )

A few piccies.

Scope Mounted:
    One
    Two
    Three

Sight picture:

Note: This was at 32x directly towards the sun and taken with a camera phone, so the quality isn't great and it isn't really a good representation of how good the optics actually are. (I could have done with 3 pairs of hands as well )

Linky

HTH
    Last edited by SpikeG; 10-04-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Speling mistookes & other info added.

Great review thanks! The sight picture shot is actually really good. Next month I'm going to order one from JSR myself, time to retire the BSA Contender 3-12x50

Cheers phil.

The sight picture is actually a lot clearer and nowhere near as washed out that the photo made out

As mentioned in the review my only real niggle is the tightness of the zoom ring but it's a very minor thing and I have a cunning plan to overcome this thanks to another club members lateral thinking. (think leverage)

Yep nice scopes for sure, mine was tight on the zoom but a coaster sorted that
    Also i bought mine from JSR but mine came boxed and badged as an AGS. it only said leapers on the receipt.

I have one of these too great scope for the cash, not actually used it yet so cant say if it dials in spot on everytime but optics seem very good and snaps into focus nice! also regarding AGS, mine on the end of the scope says 8-32x56 SWAT, so i think its the same as an AGS
    Air Arms Ev2 MKII, Big Nikko, lots of luck!
    Air Logic Genesis .177

Scope

Whats the range finding like at 50/55 yds does it repeat consisdently and how big are the gaps ont he side wheel at 50/55 yds?

lots of questions in one.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Arightplinker View Post
    Whats the range finding like at 50/55 yds does it repeat consisdently and how big are the gaps ont he side wheel at 50/55 yds?

lots of questions in one.

David
    I've only had the scope out twice on the range so far but I've had no problems with consistency out to 55. The difference between 50 & 55 on the sidewheel is fairly tight even on the 100mm sidewheel, no more than a couple of mm. So accurate rangefinding (and differentiation) between 50 & 55 is possible but takes a fair bit of care.

Graduations at the top end go 35, 50, 100 etc so it's essential to tape up if you want 100% repeatable results, especially 35yds+

A larger sidewheel would of course help (I'm wondering if the big MTC wheel would fit but I don't know what the internal diameter is on them.)

HTH