Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont ever...ever do this!!

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.

Dont ever...ever do this!!

Ooopppsss.....expensive repair coming up methinks!!!!
    Plinking in the back garden,
    breaks breech, cocks gun, pellet in, close breech, sights on target, safety off, mate next door but one shouts me.
    Breaks breech (just enough to see pellet) turns to see what he wants, finger clips trigger BANG! dry fires it...
    it (HW95K 3weeks old!!!!) now sounds like its got a bag of gravel in the cylinder when cocked/de-cocked!!!
    Looks like I'll be getting it Lazerglided a lot sooner than I thought.
    Just shows how easy accidents can happen though!
    Any ideas on what bits I have killed inside?????

Roy.
    Last edited by Retracted_Yeti; 29-07-2004 at 09:07 PM.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

radman Guest
    my sisters boyfriend has dry fired my springer twice and nothing like that happened to it, i think i must be lucky

Ratpak Guest
    Its probably a smashed pistion or spring.
    ttfn.

yeah id go with that. sound like the spring touching walls. its the usual thing to happen. either that or the piston seal, seals etc.... probably only needs new spring and lube up !!
    A Sapper is someone who quenches your thirst if you require a drink in the desert. If you need to cross the fastest river he will bridge that gap, and if the path ahead is too much to bear, the Sapper will guide you through holding your hand. UBIQUE is his motto - for he and his family have been everywhere.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Also likely the piston could have hit the end of the cocking linkage, possible messing the shoe/piston - DONT USE IT until you have stripped it and checked it all out properly....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Red face

Who's a silly boy then????????

Wonder who that nieghbour was Roy.

SORRY MATEY
    stevie nugget

No problem Ste...
    My own fault, no one but me to blame!
    Lesson well learnt, won't happen again!
    Could have been worse if I hadn't broke breech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Could be walking with a limp or worse!!!!

Cheers.

Roy.
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Re: Dont ever...ever do this!!

Originally posted by Retracted_Yeti

Looks like I'll be getting it Lazerglided a lot sooner than I thought
    If you send it off to venom now, you might have it back in time for christmas

Liam
    Can't be ar**d waiting 8 to 10 weeks!!!!!!!!!!
    If I can get it apart and see what I've broke, I'll sort it myself.
    Watch this space!!!
    I can see the Echo headlines now.......

"Idiot air gunner lobotomised by stray spring"

Cheers.

Roy.

kirky Guest
    Get yourself down to fulwood shooting club,and we can all have a go at breaking it
    Dave.

Kirky,
    Thanks mate! but u a bit late I've already killed it!
    Will be contacting Fulwood sec soon to arrange a visit.(will be in about 3 weeks 'cos I'm off to Spain this Sat for the annual sun worship session! )

Cheers.

Roy.

bud Guest

Second nature

When using breaking barrel rifles always hold barrel when breech is open it should be second nature!Under levers are the same,it gives me shivers up my spine when i see a break barrel loaded with the barrel swinging free.

Bud,
    If I had held the barrel when I dry fired it, this would have stopped the damage to the internals of my rifle?
    Barrel didn't move........but the insides did!!!
    But I know what u mean, both my son and daughter also have rifles and I always bang on about not holding the barrel when loading the pellet..
    What can I say.......I'm an idiot...once bitten twice shy!!!
    Still only glad breech was broke....god knows where the pellet may have gone otherwise.

Cheers.
    (A now very much wiser Roy.)

Originally posted by Retracted_Yeti
    Bud,
    If I had held the barrel when I dry fired it, this would have stopped the damage to the internals of my rifle?
    Barrel didn't move........but the insides did!!!
    If your barrel did not slam shut when you fired it then the cocking link can not have been attached to the piston or it broke when you fired it.

had a similar thing years ago with a mk1 superstar. i was after moorehens and forgot to close the roll breach. i went to the expense of oxing up etc. when i took the innards out, all that had happened was the piston seal had turned over. mind the gun was old and this could have happened anyway as the seal was worn.
    if you`ve got more than one to use, take the cylinder works out and assess the damage before taking out the wallet.
    on the down side, it could have damaged the sear mechanism and obviously the trigger spring. not serious but fiddly.
    Last edited by max headroom; 30-07-2004 at 02:15 AM.