Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Mercury refurb

Question BSA Mercury refurb

Hey folks,

Had a BSA Mercury on my "to do" list for a while now, sloppy breech lockup, low power (8fpe), scratches to the blacking etc.

IIRC the Mercury "S" had a breech bolt instead of a pin to prevent sloppy breech - would this fit straight on a standard Mercury, or would machining be involved?

Also, what's the best way to sort the power? Just get a "standard" spring/seal kit from chambers/john knibbs?

Should be interesting either way...

Also, am I better to tune then get it reblacked, or sort the metalwork first - I suspect the latter as the gun'll need stripping to get a decent finish anyway?

Apologies for the numpty questions, been doin PCP for too long!

Cheers,

Dan

A m8 of mine chewned one of them gunz up 2 90ftlb, it shoot straight threw a garage door and dented the car inside
    They said you can't polish sh*t.. well mine's chrome plated

draftsmann Guest
    No great help to you Dan as he doesn't do them any more but John Bowkett used to transform Mercuries into really superb, smooth-shooting air rifles. The breech is, as you say, a prime area for improvement. I'm pretty certain JB used to machine them.

I have a Mercury tuning article or two somewhere (in fact I promised a scan to someone else on here a while ago but confess I can't remember who)

Adrian

Dave - Thanks, but I've already got the "Replay guide to Murcury Tuning" propping the bog door shut

Adrian - Thanks for the info, I suspect JB will be slightly beyond my price bracket, much as I'd love to have him turn his hand to my gun

Any info you might have to hand would be appreciated though

Cheers,

Dan

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Originally posted by draftsmann
    No great help to you Dan as he doesn't do them any more but John Bowkett used to transform Mercuries into really superb, smooth-shooting air rifles. The breech is, as you say, a prime area for improvement. I'm pretty certain JB used to machine them.

I have a Mercury tuning article or two somewhere (in fact I promised a scan to someone else on here a while ago but confess I can't remember who)

Adrian
    Iam pretty sure it was me,pull yer finger out Draftschappy.

draftsmann Guest
    Ooooh bugger! Sorry Dave

Funny how the same names always come up on Mercury related threads innit?

Adrian

draftsmann Guest
    Dan, Dave, scan of article from SAR December '85 on its way to you

Adrian

Can I be really cheeky and rather rude and ask for a copy as well please?

email: jason@heaven-knows.net

Thanks

Jason

"You see I'm against hunting, in fact I'm a hunt saboteur. I go out the night before and shoot the fox." - Tim Vine

draftsmann Guest
    YHM Jason

Adrian

Pat... Guest
    Mr Robber does a PTFE piston head and buffer.....

Its one of the few things he stocks I would reccomend, they really do improve Mercuries and airsporters, ...Phil Bulmer did an airsporter tuning article last year I think........

Lee G Guest
    Bet that hurt your head Pat.

Big Si is offline Great Uncle Bulgaria, Chief Womble
    Any info on tuning up on a Mercury would be much appreciated also. I have one of these fine guns I've re-sprung it and closed up the breach gap(A large padded vice) also I made a spring sleve out of thin aluminum sheet. Is it true you can get a larger swept area by taking out the Rubber buffer and making a shim to take up the extra lengh inside the piston housing? All helpfull coments greatfully received.

Rgds

Big Si
    Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, and my sisters and my brothers. Lo do I see the line of my people back to its beginning. Lo they do call to me and bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Originally posted by Big Si
    have one of these fine guns I've re-sprung it and closed up the breach gap(A large padded vice)
    does that work??

I've heard of the breech-bolt mod, but never crimping the actual breech jaws themselves?

TIA,

Dan

Originally posted by Geordie
    does that work??

I've heard of the breech-bolt mod, but never crimping the actual breech jaws themselves?

TIA,

Dan
    It'd be better to machine a shallow counterbore in the side of the block and fit a thin belleville washer, a la Original 45. That'd always take up any clearance the same way - bit b100dy 'ard to do, though...

Regards,
    Mikb
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Big Si is offline Great Uncle Bulgaria, Chief Womble
    Yes a big vice does work although go at it softly softly. I've never tried to machine a breach before. However I know that's what Venom do to there HW80s. Then they fit shimms. It can't be too hard to fit a screwed bolt a la HW35 though!

Rgds

Big Si
    Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, and my sisters and my brothers. Lo do I see the line of my people back to its beginning. Lo they do call to me and bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.