Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want one of those :)

In the UK a FAC IS needed if you intend to shoot solid shot from any smooth-bore ;it can be shot and held on a SGC as a shotgun if three or more balls are loaded, I think the ball size is restricted to .32 and below.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantanthonydp View Post
    In the UK a FAC IS needed if you intend to shoot solid shot from any smooth-bore ;it can be shot and held on a SGC as a shotgun if three or more balls are loaded, I think the ball size is restricted to .32 and below.
    Incorrect - A single solid shot can be used in a muzzle loading smoothbore just using a SGC. The Muzzle Loader Association of GB have spent some time sorting this all out with the Home Office.

I think Bryantanthonydp is referring to the law relating to cartridges rather than shotguns. Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police says cartridges containing 5 or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inches are exempt from certification (S.1 otherwise). As said above a shotgun shooting round ball is still a shotgun.

On the practical side, if someone posts legal advice then it would save time if they also gave the Act/Section or source wherefrom it is obtained. That way it could be quickly verified without argument.

Steve.
    Last edited by steve medlock; 31-03-2009 at 05:18 PM.

I seem to be out of touch on this subject.
    See:http://www.mlagb.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...num=1180682940

The necessary dimensions for a smooth bore to be on Shot Gun Certificate have been mentioned, but incompletely. Yes, barrel length must be 24", but the bore must be no greater than 2".

A shot gun does NOT need to be on FAC simply because solid shot is fired. Solid slug is, of itself, section 1 ammunition, but ball fired from a muzzleloader is not included in the definition of "ammunition".

If you have a FAC with slug on it, and you also have a section 2 shot gun on SGC there is no reason (other than any restrictive condition which may - or may not - be on your FAC) why you should not use the slug from the section 2 gun.

Spoke to the guy who owns the shop definatley FAC

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

But why?

Did he say why? Is the barrel shorter than 24 inches? Is the bore greater than 2 inches? Is it rifled?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim

Apparently the barrel is less than 24"

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    That would do it. Thanks!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone