Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A request for advise about pellet sizing methods.

A request for advise about pellet sizing methods.

Maybe some pellet size fanatics can help me with a few little things

Well I certainly feel I have two very fine air rifles, I have really got to know my s200, and how to get the most of it. It likes a regularly cleaned barrel and loves mozzies. They land utterly predictably at all ranges, I suspect a heavier pellet would be better past 55 yards but that is not needed. One hole groups are no bother at all at 45 yards and to be honest it shoots them like this straight out of the tin. I tend to weigh for comps just to give that added confidence, but in the case of this barrel and this pellet, it doesn't seem to matter.
    Now the Pro Target is a different story, I feel I don't know it yet. Mozzies seem to group best so far, but i'm sure they are tumbling a little at longer ranges, certainly not quite as accurate as the s200 at the moment. If I give the barrel a good clean and weight the pellets it is much better. So it seems a little more fussy. The only true one holers I have achieved with it at 45 yards is with AA field 4.51, but it wont do it all the time and keeps throwing me surprises, wind aside. So I have been measuring pellet heads with some digital verniers. AA 4.51 seem to average at 4.46mm. It also likes mozzies size wise i'm sure, which are also averaging also at 4.46. I think AA fields may be the magic pellet for the barrel, but i've a feeling to get the magic this barrel will demand them sized and then weighted, cleaned and lubed What a demanding little mynx she is
    Right so having endured all that A simple how to question. If i'm looking at trying size's around 4.46, do I just buy a few sizes, 4.45, 4.46, 4.47, squeeze a load of 4.52's down to size, (actually average 4.48) if so what about the skirts, which are presently larger than the heads, wont squeezing them down to the same size ruin the seal in the barrel? Final question for those in the know, who makes accurate dogs dangles sizer sets, and are there different types of methods of sizing, other than vernier calipers, that takes far too long
    Pro-Target 3 with a Silver Weaver.
    S200, tweakied, Ginb, with a Burris.
    B+C HW 95 special with a Burris.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Blow the skirts. They are what the air blast hits and forms into the rifleing blow them out don't size them parrallel and ruin the seal. If you are sizing down how do you account for the ones that are undersize allready?

Andy

A good barrel can save time as they tend to like most things.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Thanks for the reply, are you saying I should push them through a larger sizer in order to make the skirt a tad bigger and uniform Or does the blast of air do that anyway? Not sure weather to size up or down now. reading about beeman pellet sizers they only mention resizing the skirt Nothing about changing the head diameter. What would be a good range of sizes to try in this case, I was thinking 4.44 to 4.50. Im now thinking bigger to blow the skirt, is that what you mean? The Skirts seem to average around 4.60-4.64mm, confused

sizing down to 4.48 seems to touch the head on all of my mozzies... but I haven't tested beyond that.

UK Neil did my sizers. More than happy.

The skirts are always larger, and vary... probably in no small part down to the fact that they aren't always round.

Cheers been doing some testing, the magic pellet seems to be AA field, I weighted a load and the lighter ones group better, they are coming out at 0.54grams, 0.55g and 0.56g. I measured the heads of the 0.54g ones and put them into two groups, 4.47/8 and 4.49/50 The smaller ones had the one hole results I've been after So a 4.48mm sizer is on it way from UK Neil See how I get on, I may try spreading the skirts out again on a batch of the sized ones with a tapered tool, see if it makes any difference

The only sizers I have used have parralleled the pellet, forgive the me speak, but if you roll a pellet before sizing it goes in a circular motion if you roll it after sizing it goes in a straight line.

I presume therefore when fired some air can escape up the side of the pellet until it is fully blown out into the rifleing. If some of these pellets sized down, as I am unaware of any way of sizing up, are already undersize then they will have to inflate further to seat in the rifleing. Most people mention a drop in power with sized pellets of the type they normally use from the tin which may be the slight loss of air up the side. Just my thoughts.

Having been messing about now for a bit I am tending more towards harmonics being repeated with the same ammunition like full bore benchrest loads.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Hmm very interesting, I'm wondering about using a swage tool to spread the skirt a little a little, after sizing. I'm hoping sizing will give me more usable pellets as I dont seem to get many out of a tin after weighing the measuring with the digital vernier. I'll still use the verniers to check the average head size to minimize any too tiny for the sizer. If I use 4.52's they seem to be pretty consistently 4.49/50. I'll just keep an eye on different batches. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    Hmm very interesting, I'm wondering about using a swage tool to spread the skirt a little a little, after sizing. I'm hoping sizing will give me more usable pellets as I dont seem to get many out of a tin after weighing the measuring with the digital vernier. I'll still use the verniers to check the average head size to minimize any too tiny for the sizer. If I use 4.52's they seem to be pretty consistently 4.49/50. I'll just keep an eye on different batches. Cheers
    Let the barell size them. In so much as they are oversize and sized down how else can it work, or be consistent.

Monkey

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Let the barell size them. In so much as they are oversize and sized down how else can it work, or be consistent.

Monkey
    Don't forget the choked barrel, that puts another factor into the sizing equation and would seem to render the whole excercise futile.
    Selecting the most appropriate pellet and swaging the skirts, may make the most efficient use of your best air range, the rest is down to the barrel and it's circumstances before, during and after the shot.

I tried a range of sizes measured with the very nears, from 4.45 to 4.48, at a push I could say the 4.46 and 47's felt and grouped slightly better but there was nothing in it. All pellets were weighted to 0.55g. I then tried some unsized AA 4.51's weighted at 0.54grams, they were pretty much one hole. That was a bit of a surprise that that slight difference in weight makes any differenceBut not the sized 0.55g ones.

I tried a range of sizes measured with the very nears, from 4.45 to 4.48, at a push I could say the 4.46 and 47's felt and grouped slightly better but there was nothing in it. All pellets were weighted to 0.55g. I then tried some unsized AA 4.51's weighted at 0.54grams, they were pretty much one hole. That was a bit of a surprise that that slight difference in weight makes any differenceBut not the sized 0.55g ones.
    Harmonics. If it takes longer to get to the end or a shorter time to get to the end the barrel is pointing in a slightly different direction therefore weight and seal.

Andy

dont clean your aa barrel

Maybe some pellet size fanatics can help me with a few little things

Well I certainly feel I have two very fine air rifles, I have really got to know my s200, and how to get the most of it. It likes a regularly cleaned barrel and loves mozzies. They land utterly predictably at all ranges, I suspect a heavier pellet would be better past 55 yards but that is not needed. One hole groups are no bother at all at 45 yards and to be honest it shoots them like this straight out of the tin. I tend to weigh for comps just to give that added confidence, but in the case of this barrel and this pellet, it doesn't seem to matter.
    Now the Pro Target is a different story, I feel I don't know it yet. Mozzies seem to group best so far, but i'm sure they are tumbling a little at longer ranges, certainly not quite as accurate as the s200 at the moment. If I give the barrel a good clean and weight the pellets it is much better. So it seems a little more fussy. The only true one holers I have achieved with it at 45 yards is with AA field 4.51, but it wont do it all the time and keeps throwing me surprises, wind aside. So I have been measuring pellet heads with some digital verniers. AA 4.51 seem to average at 4.46mm. It also likes mozzies size wise i'm sure, which are also averaging also at 4.46. I think AA fields may be the magic pellet for the barrel, but i've a feeling to get the magic this barrel will demand them sized and then weighted, cleaned and lubed What a demanding little mynx she is
    Right so having endured all that A simple how to question. If i'm looking at trying size's around 4.46, do I just buy a few sizes, 4.45, 4.46, 4.47, squeeze a load of 4.52's down to size, (actually average 4.48) if so what about the skirts, which are presently larger than the heads, wont squeezing them down to the same size ruin the seal in the barrel? Final question for those in the know, who makes accurate dogs dangles sizer sets, and are there different types of methods of sizing, other than vernier calipers, that takes far too long
    hi mate if i clean my protarget barrel it looses it's distance grouping i shoot mozzies and i must say my barrel loves being leaded , but yours could be different
    if that helps

Thanks, yep I've been trying to work that out, as the s200 benefits immediately from a good clean and requires no leading in to get results. So far with mozzies the PT groups better after a good clean, it seems to group best with AA after a clean and about 20-30 shots leading in. Reccon I'll clean it every half tin or so. My pellet sizer arrived today and all I can say is it works. Sizing AA 4.52 to 4.48, some of the heads are touched, some are not, the skirts sized parallel. Don't ask me why it works but in my case it does, It is not so weight fussy now with the AA's and will group the weighted light medium and heavy ones very well, will probably only weight them now for comps and checking my clicks, as it is better still if I weight them. Lots of one holers now at 45 yards, with pellets moving predictably in the wind, very pleased, I knew the gun was capable of this as it kept giving me clues, just took a bit of work getting there.

so it is not the 'nut behind the butt' then

glad it seems to be sorted mate

ATB

Phil
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Hmm I hadn't thought of resizing my nuts Could be worth a go Phil, Cheers mate