Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45/HW40 Owners. Which one can you shoot best. Pro's & con's. Questions.

HW45/HW40 Owners. Which one can you shoot best. Pro's & con's. Questions.

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting one of the above and am having trouble deciding which one. I know it's all down to the shooter but generally which one can you shoot most accurately at say 15 yards and by how much roughly, if there's not alot in it, a group size would give me a good idea. Can you shoot your .22(HW45) more accurately than a .177(HW45). Does a silencer fitted to a '45 make it much quieter. Is the '40 any quieter than the '45. Any information like this would greatly help my final decision.
    Derek.

If this is of any help to you, I have the cheaper clone version of the HW 40 (Beeman 2004E). I am more than happy with it and I find it very accurate at 10 metres which is where I placed my paper targets.It will pass straight through cans easy enough for general plinking and I find it quiet enough not to even think about a silencer.Mine is pellet fussy and likes a quality pellet so I tend to stick to the RWS Hobby.

I've had both, but now only have the HW40.

The 45 is capable of surprising accuracy, but like most springers it is quite hold sensitive. I found I could get good groups (approx 1" at 10 metres) when I did my bit, but anything less than total concentration caused the groups to go to pot.

Also, for some reason, I found the 45 somewhat soulless. Dunno why, it wasn't unpleasant in any way, it just didn't make me want to use it very much.

By contrast, the HW40 is great fun and a piece of piddle to use - and therefore one of my favourite pistols.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of getting one of the above and am having trouble deciding which one. I know it's all down to the shooter but generally which one can you shoot most accurately at say 15 yards and by how much roughly, if there's not alot in it, a group size would give me a good idea. Can you shoot your .22(HW45) more accurately than a .177(HW45). Does a silencer fitted to a '45 make it much quieter. Is the '40 any quieter than the '45. Any information like this would greatly help my final decision.
    Derek.
    The 45 has a much better trigger IMO and I prefer to shoot it rather than my beeman 2004e. If you go for moulded grips that seems to help overcome the hold problem. I've got a 0.22 which is great fun to shoot. The 45 isn't very noisy, but my Beeman makes a bit of a crack.

Here's my 2 cents worth
    I have both the 40 & 45.

The 45 cocks by opening it, very easy.
    The 40 cocks when you close it, can catch yer dangley bits in it.

As said the 45 is hold sensitive, where as the 40 you point and shoot, don't matter if you're holding it with a limp grip or a strangle hold, it'll be good.

If I could only keep one for plinking and target it would be the 40, just ease of use.

Or, get both

Good luck with your choice, Phil

I also have both the HW40(177) and HW45(22) ("Silver Star" version) and like both very much for different reasons.

It depends what you're looking for.In my opinion the HW40 has a better trigger which is fully adjustable but does not need it, and great for 10 yard accurate paper target shooting and occasional plinking.As mentioned above not hold sensitive.(2-3ftlbs)

The HW45 especially in the 22 cal. is fantastic for plinking bake beans cans right out to 30yards(open site) and passing straight through both sides (just under 6ftlbs)It is hold sensitive but with the "Silver star" grip has much better balance/control than the standard version.

Personally if I could only have the one I would choose the HW45 for the sheer fun/big gun factor and great can bashing ability.Puts a smile on my face every time!

I have a .22 HW45 with a silencer running just under 6lb. The silencer definately makes a difference as it takes away the piercing crack sound, however the action is still relatively noisey from the shooters POV.

A nice strip and lube tune can bring the noise of the action down though, and I find a slightly 'wet' lubed gun is quieter still.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

I haven an HW45 in .22 and a beeman 2004e in .177 (cheap HW40 clone) I find the beeman more difficult to cock but much easier to shoot, when I do my bit the groups with superdomes and really good. The HW45 is quite pellet fussy, easier to cock but much harder to shoot accurately, very enjoyable to shoot, much moreso than the beeman. If I were buying one again it would be the HW45.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

This thread would suggest to me a .22 HW45 is the way to go ???
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Quote Originally Posted by relivingmyyouth View Post
    This thread would suggest to me a .22 HW45 is the way to go ???
    If you were going for a 45 I would definately go .22 The .177 is just a harsher caliber on my gun, its louder and snappier. I just dont get on with it. Its probably the size of the thing puts me off the noise. its also lower powered in .177, mine was around 4.5lb in .177.

The .22 on the other had has a healthy THUD CRACK when you shoot it, which is much more befitting the guns apperance and power at 5.8lb in .22.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

Thanks for all your replies, i picked up a month old second hand HW40 today and apart from a bit of trouble with the trigger i'm enjoying it. Forgot how hard it is to shoot a pistol accurately but i'm having fun trying.

Thanks again,
    Derek.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEL67 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies, i picked up a month old second hand HW40 today and apart from a bit of trouble with the trigger i'm enjoying it. Forgot how hard it is to shoot a pistol accurately but i'm having fun trying.

Thanks again,
    Derek.
    Have fun but if you're shooting in the buff, keep your scrotum well clear when cocking it!

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    Have fun but if you're shooting in the buff, keep your scrotum well clear when cocking it!
    Strange you should say that, the lady that owned my HW40 before me couldn't get on with it because when she closed the action her bits where in the way, ouch..horse bite!. I'm sure some blokes might have the same problem with their moobs!!

Smile Ratgunner

For my sins I own both, had a Beeman first but after total failure No3 I got the Mardies! and bought a HW 45 .22in,

Wot a Kannon (It is German) it is without a doubt the best spring pistol I have ever owned, reaches out to fifty yards (I have witnesses) at least I can ding a tin chicken with it a knockdown is sheer Jam in anyones money,

Pellets/ mine likes RWS Superdomes for general blasting but Logun Penetrators are really consistent, but you need to tweak your sights between the two pellets,

HW 40's are also a pleasure to shoot deadly accurate at ten yards, they will reach out to 20 yds with enough aim off, mine has a Rhino 2x32 Scope on Hawke high twin screw mounts,
    High mounts to clear the Truglo sights, twin screw mounts to spread the load on the closing/power stroke as it is a composite body as per Glocks,

Pellets, AA Field 4.52mm/Daystate 4.51mm

Once you are used to the rig an amazing gun,

As the other Guy said buy both
    Last edited by ratgunner; 14-06-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Forgot pellets (Age Related)

Ummm bugger! it's gonna happen... i know i'm gonna get the HW45 aswell this week. Oh what the heck, it's only money! What excuse am i going to give this time.