Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Air Gun comp: who's interested?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    Now the Wife will have to let me buy this.
    Well thought through!

I would be up for this, depending on the venue (if not a postal shoot), but how do you differentiate between the cut off dates ? Unless its a Diana/RWS with the month year stamped on the action or HW were they will provide the info by e-mail or letter, its almost impossible to known exactly the difference between, for example, a Dec 1969 and a Jan 1970s rifle. Few records were kept by manufacturers of say Webley and BSF. And whoes to say the internals are standard? Ive seen a Webley service rifle that had a BSA R10 power source and was therefore a recoilless pcp.
    Difficult subject dating but I say shoot what you bring (recoiling springer) as long as its legal and safe, enjoy the day, enter the spirit of the shoot and to hell with the date of manufacture.

Our club is hosting another 'Bring & Buy' classic rifle/pistol event on Sun. 1st November at our indoor range near Bolton, Lancs. This time with more emphasis on the fun competition side of classic airgunning.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I would be up for this, depending on the venue, but how do you differentiate between the cut off dates ? Unless its a Diana/RWS with the month year stamped on the action or HW were they will provide the info by e-mail or letter, its almost impossible to known exactly the difference between, for example, a Dec 1969 and a Jan 1970s rifle. Few records were kept by manufacturers of say Webley and BSF. And whoes to say the internals are standard? Ive seen a Webley service rifle that had a BSA R10 power source and was therefore a recoilless pcp.
    Difficult subject dating but I say shoot what you bring (recoiling springer) as long as its legal and safe, enjoy the day, enter the spirit of the shoot and to hell with the date of manufacture.

Our club is hosting another 'Bring & Buy' classic rifle/pistol event on Sun. 1st November at our indoor range near Bolton, Lancs. This time with more emphasis on the fun competition side of classic airgunning.

ATB
    Ian
    Hi Ian

I know what you mean about dates, can be a can of worms

This when Jim decides the critera , will be a online postal competition, just like our online pistol comps which lasts for a week (saturday-saturday). All aimed towards 'gentlemans / womans' trust.

So as long as you have got at least 6yds at home or it might be 10m depending on the critera, you then email the scores to Jim & at the end of the week all scores will be made public.

Regards
    Paddy.

p.s I'll try & come to the 'bring & buy' , as I enjoyed the last one, even through there much wasn't competition shooting going on, mainly good ole chin wagging
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Are Old Gits welcome too?

I have an old, I think about 1930, Webley MkI .177 air pistol, with the Safety Catch and the extended barrel. It has never been taken apart. I still love to shoot it, and I hope to get some glasses this year which will help me to shoot it better with the open sights.

I cannot travel, but I would love to correspond, and if I go into into it any depth, I might even engage in Postal Comps. The only problem is that I do not have a Referee at the moment. I have a girl friend who has been through good and bad with me, and does not like my involvement with even Air Guns. Nonetheless she would be willing to validate my targets, and she would give me any leeway.

So, is there any room for me there?

Alan Giles.

I would be up for this, depending on the venue (if not a postal shoot),
    Ian
    The UBC beckons you.... welcome to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by franktheferret View Post

I cannot travel, but I would love to correspond, and if I go into into it any depth, I might even engage in Postal Comps. The only problem is that I do not have a Referee at the moment. I have a girl friend who has been through good and bad with me, and does not like my involvement with even Air Guns. Nonetheless she would be willing to validate my targets, and she would give me any leeway.

Alan Giles.
    Hey! It's all on a trust basis. if someone cheats they are only cheating themselves! The Umarex boys club is one of the offshoots from bbs that offers a competition opportunity , well, several: 6M target and side shoots and police pistol and side shoots........ open and optical categories. and divided into hpa/co2/spring catagories.

I have an old, I think about 1930, Webley MkI .177 air pistol, with the Safety Catch and the extended barrel. It has never been taken apart. I still love to shoot it, and I hope to get some glasses this year which will help me to shoot it better with the open sights.

Alan Giles.

Hi Alan.

You Have PM regarding our pistol competitions

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Definitely interested in this, good call Jim.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Yes, but...

but how do you differentiate between the cut off dates ? Unless its a Diana/RWS with the month year stamped on the action or HW were they will provide the info by e-mail or letter, its almost impossible to known exactly the difference between, for example, a Dec 1969 and a Jan 1970s rifle. Few records were kept by manufacturers of say Webley and BSF. And whoes to say the internals are standard? Ive seen a Webley service rifle that had a BSA R10 power source and was therefore a recoilless pcp.

ATB
    Ian
    Good thoughts, Ian, but we'd have to have SOME sort of age cut-off, else it wouldn't be "vintage".

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Ever Postal!

Alan Giles.
    WHATEVER we decide on dates or equipment, Alan, rest asured it WILL be postal. That's how we UBC boys do our regular competitions. For a lot of reasons.

My wife and I are in Louisiana! But we will both be there for the UBC special shoot on May 23.

Cheers!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

All right, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    I'll go with that.

So come on Jim, get those rules, dates, score sheets & targets sorted

Regards
    Paddy.
    OK, thus it shall be:

"ANY spring piston, single stroke pneumatic, pump-up, PCP, or CO2 powered rifle or pistol, BB or pellet, of a model that went out of production during or prior to Anno Domini 1986."

Thus, it is written. Yea, verily!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    OK, thus it shall be:

"ANY spring piston, single stroke pneumatic, pump-up, PCP, or CO2 powered rifle or pistol, BB or pellet, of a model that went out of production during or prior to Anno Domini 1986."

Thus, it is written. Yea, verily!

Jim
    About time an all

Just what distance & target

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    About time an all

Just what distance & target

Regards
    Paddy.
    "Distance shall be six yards. Rifle and pistol will be scored in separate categories. NO optical sights permitted. Standing position, unsupported, no special shooting clothing permitted. NO shoulder stocks or wrap around grips or LBR / LBP style stocks permitted on pistols."

Still thinking about the target....might have something different each shoot.

Jim

Let's go with AUGUST

Mates, we're going to go with this Vintage comp, but we're going to have to hold off until August, which is the next month we'll have a 5th Saturday.

Reason(s) being: my wife Jan and I are more overwhelmed at work and homefront than normal, AND are preparing for our UK trip (15 - 30 May), AND I'm hoping that by then, the Air Fairy will have brought me a Vingage air rifle or pistol for my birthday (which is in September, but sometimes they do things early).

Jim

I have some 7.5 meter rifle targets Jim
    15 on an A4 page

Think they were put together by one of our members

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)