Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Air Gun comp: who's interested?

Right, I'm up to have a go at this.

All I need is a clever sod to list all the qualifying pistols... (come on, you know you want to.....)

(don't suppose any of mine count))

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Congratulations on your new toy, Jim!

Targets? Yeah, targets....OK, let me think about that. Then I may be getting back to you.

CANNON?! Good Lord, you're right about me not being there: airguns are bad enough on the budget, but the big stuff?...

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Smile Category

Hi Guys
    OK Paddy (Multicoloured Lord of the Scoreboard) Says the 130 will classify as a SSP for wimps since it takes 6 pumps instead of one so now we are official if I get the range problem (I don't have one but I can borrow next doors yard if I grovel) to join the main shoot as well. The Nemesis is great but I still need a rear blade.
    You DID include pump ups in your original post so I never had any doubts about the 130 qualifying for this contest and since Daisy have confirmed the date of the end run of Model 94 "Red Rider's" as the mid sixties I now have two vetran/vintage collectibles and am negotiating a third whilst still trying to afford the Titan.

Regards
    Jim D
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

YAY, JIMMIE! Now I have to get a vintage pistol, so I can shoot in my own shoot!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Talking Target.

Right Folks
    Cap'n William has decided on a version of the old Red, White and Blue "Webley" target from the 50s and 60s. I will have a version of it available in UBC livery on here by the start of next week.

RULES

This will be a 10 (ten) shot contest.

The target will print as a double target with markings to fit it to a 170mm (Standard) single target holder. Users with Vintage 4 inch holders contact me for targets sized to fit.

You may shoot this as either two separate targets with 5 (five) shots in each fitted to a 170mm target holder, or, shoot as a double target, again five shots in each.

In either case back the target closely with a piece cut from a cereal packet to provide a clean shot hole for scoring. Put the shiny side to the back of the target.

The outer RED ring scores five (5) Points and increases by one till you get ten (10) points for a Bull. The INNER white ring surrounded by a black divider only comes into play in a "live" contest to help decide the winner in the case of a tie.

As far as I am aware this target is scored INWARDS. That is to say cut a dividing line and you get the highest score.

If Cap'n William wishes to alter these rules he WILL do so.

If this works the first Target is available HERE

Target Bunny
    Last edited by Target Bunny; 20-06-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clarification of Rules.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Separate scoring for smooth and rifled?

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Right Folks
    Cap'n William has decided on a version of the old Red, White and Blue "Webley" target from the 50s and 60s. I will have a version of it available in UBC livery on here by the start of next week.

RULES

This will be a 10 (ten) shot contest.

The target will print as a double target with markings to fit it to a 170mm (Standard) single target holder. Users with Vintage 4 inch holders contact me for targets sized to fit.

You may shoot this as either two separate targets with 5 (five) shots in each fitted to a 170mm target holder, or, shoot as a double target, again five shots in each.

In either case back the target closely with a piece cut from a cereal packet to provide a clean shot hole for scoring. Put the shiny side to the back of the target.

The outer RED ring scores five (5) Points and increases by one till you get ten (10) points for a Bull. The INNER white ring surrounded by a black divider only comes into play in a "live" contest to help decide the winner in the case of a tie.

As far as I am aware this target is scored INWARDS. That is to say cut a dividing line and you get the highest score.

If Cap'n William wishes to alter these rules he WILL do so.

If this works the first Target is available HERE

Target Bunny

It all sounds good to me, Jim.

Since the purpose of the Vintage comp is (partly) to give everyone a chance to drag from their cupboard and closet and have a go with the old stuff that they may have hoarded since childhood, or picked up at a flea market or boot sale, as opposed to aiming (bad unintentional pun) to be competitive with the more modern, expensive, and high-tech stuff:

- what do you all think about leveling the playing field between the BB Gunners, and the Pelleteers, by having separate scoring sections for rifled and smooth pistols, and rifled and smooth rifles?

I warn you that I have an ulterior motive for posing this question: I just picked up today, at a local gun show, a Model 1938 Daisy Red Ryder (Production years, 1972-78): and a Healthways Plainsman Model ML 175 (Production years, 1969-1980).

Got both of 'em for $50.

They look to be fun plinkers, but being BB guns, they're not going to be competitive against rifled pellets.

Jim

BB Plinkers

Whaddya mean innacurate?
    I used to shoot flies on the ceiling of my room with the Daisy.
    Mum made me fill and repaint the ceiling after that little episode, but I did get my BBs back from the plaster.
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

I've just had a quick go with my 1970's SA Parabellum. Shot two of the 10m targets @ 10metres & without any practice shots, just load & shoot. I'm quite pleased with my with my scores 34 & 34.

I enjoyed this quick shoot, no stress & felt rather comfortable. Just have to wait for August . I know our schedule is rather busy within the UBC comps each week. I might ponder on making it more often & fit it in within one of the weeks.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Question Frequency

Hi Paddy
    If you are scoring/invigilating remember there are 4 Saturdays in each month to be used. Also if you get this monthly one month Pistol, one month Rifle. Although, since some of these guns are smoothbore, it should be long gun.
    Jim McA, even though you get a big bang out of it, this does NOT include cannon.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Whaddya mean innacurate?
    I used to shoot flies on the ceiling of my room with the Daisy.
    Mum made me fill and repaint the ceiling after that little episode, but I did get my BBs back from the plaster.
    Target Bunny
    Well then, maybe we DON'T need separate scoring categories, Jim!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    I've just had a quick go with my 1970's SA Parabellum. Shot two of the 10m targets @ 10metres & without any practice shots, just load & shoot. I'm quite pleased with my with my scores 34 & 34.

I enjoyed this quick shoot, no stress & felt rather comfortable. Just have to wait for August . I know our schedule is rather busy within the UBC comps each week. I might ponder on making it more often & fit it in within one of the weeks.
    Sounds good to me, Pad!

Jim

[QUOTE=Target Bunny;3629938 if you get this monthly one month Pistol, one month Rifle. Although, since some of these guns are smoothbore, it should be long gun.

Target Bunny[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea.

Jim

Hi Paddy

Jim McA, even though you get a big bang out of it, this does NOT include cannon.

Target Bunny
    Heck, and I WAS planning on including cannon. Should we separate cannon into smooth and rifled scoring categories, do you think?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Sounds good to me, Pad!

Jim
    Right,,

I've sorted out a score sheet, will go though this thread to get the rules sorted. Jim D I'll await the targets, I do think your idea of the old style webley is a good one.

As for dates I'm thinking of doing the usual 6rd style on the same weeks as the PP Comps as Jim Mc collects then scores for the PP Comps. So I don't have double work load.

And for criteria, I want to keep it simple of two categories of Pistol & Rifle .

Once I get everything together I'll make a new thread.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

We also want to have as many pistols and "long guns" as we can, since we're trying to encourage everyone to give all their old airguns a try: so a given shooter can enter as many rifles and pistols as he or she wishes.

Jim