Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 65yds first time

thanks that was a great help. i think i will have to get a scope which will cope and do some practise sessions thankyou. i supose you can get some scopes with zero locks on them cant you?
    one more question .. honest
    whats the difference between a MOA and a 'click'?
    thanks skiddy
    Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be blamed on a bent pellet and shot again

Quote Originally Posted by eeskidmark View Post
    thanks that was a great help. i think i will have to get a scope which will cope and do some practise sessions thankyou. i supose you can get some scopes with zero locks on them cant you?
    one more question .. honest
    whats the difference between a MOA and a 'click'?
    thanks skiddy
    the falcon menace 10X fixed with MP20 and Mil turrets sells at a good price.
    the ones with what is known as ZERO STOP (zero locks) are usually high end optics which cost alot of money and aimed at the centerfire market. the zero stop is not to be confused with the feature that MTC optics have on their models, its not to lock the turrets but to stop the turret from turning below your zero. its simple enough to make, just an O ring or else a piece of rubber band twisted around the base, or take a piece of thread and wrap it between the zeroed turret and the scope body. 5minutes job

clicks is the sound you hear every time you move the turret. if it is 1/4MOA adjustment turret, it means every 4 clicks, your scope moves the reticle 1" at 100 yards. don't count clicks, Use minutes otherwise you never stop counting. so
    1MOA is 4 clicks
    2MOA 8clicks
    10MOA 40clicks for a 1/4MOA turret.
    this photo shows such a turret, those 4 hask marks represent 1/4,1/2,3/4and 1 MOA. in this photo, the user dialed 8.5MOA
    http://pic18.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../342993311.jpg

than there is also the MIL system, this is my favourite one. 1Mil is 10cm at 100m or 4Inches.
    usually the turrets are marked in 0.1Mil meaning it takes 10clicks to cover 1 whole mil.
    each click is 1cm at 100m.
    2cm at 200m etc

As a matter of fact, you dont need to know how much they are worth because of this simple reason shown in the following diagram. this is like the reticle in the Falcon Menace.
    http://pic18.picturetrail.com:80/VOL.../342994238.jpg
    if you shoot 1 shot and it hits on the line where 5 is written, than you just have to turn the turret to number 5 which means 5mils or 50 clicks, again you dont count you just spin it to number 5.
    hope this explains it.

thanks a lot for your help and i understand now.its a good idea to use the rubber band or o - ring but i struggle to see how it works you dont have any pictures of it in 'action' do you?
    Tresspassers will be shot, survivors will be blamed on a bent pellet and shot again

i dont have my rifle here with me but i do have another photo. this one used a piece of aluminium instead of a rubber or ring.
    http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL888.../361414438.jpg

if there wasnt this piece of aluminium, the turret would turn below the Zero, meaning if you spin the turret 2 revolutions to get to your desired range and then you forget to spin it back down, you would get confused how many turns there are on the turret.

with a zero stop installed, you can turn the turret down till it stops turning and that is your first zero, in my case 35m. once you start playing with your turrets you will see what i mean.

what happens if when you zero you scope and the top turret has turned so much that a peice of aluminium wont fit ie isnt wide enough would you just fing something that would?

mate if you have that problem it means that you are doing this thing in Vain. if your scope turret is too high, that means there is not much elevation adjustment left in the scope so you wont be able to dial much. ideally your scope should be optically centered meaning if your scope has 50MOA of elevational travel or 14.5Mils then when you sight in your scope at your primary 35yard zero, you should have half of these values left in the scope. i usually prefer to have about 3/5 elevation adjustment left so that i can shoot further.

in the case that you have used alot of the elevational travel in your scope to set your initial 35yard zero, then i suggest you remount the scope and insert some shims so you get some external elevation into the scope. this can be done by placing 1 or 2 films of negative film between the scope body and the mounts of the scope on the rear mount meaning that one closest to your eye. dont over torque.

Quote Originally Posted by jayt07 View Post
    Not to shabby old chap i've just got an s4oo will be trying it out at long range pretty soon.

This is my first attempt at 100yds with my rws500 off the bipod with the scope on 40 mag i think i'll quit whilst i'm ahead was indoors tho

10 shot string 25mm bull 50mm square

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ngrange002.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but is this from a 12ft/lb rifle?
    If so, I never knew they could do that!

Quote Originally Posted by eeskidmark View Post
    hi, this is my first time at properly shooting long range targets, well i say long range but not really compared to the ranges some of you lot shoot, although i was using a sub 12ft/lb airarms s400 .177.

it was sunny afternoon today and couldnt resist having a go instead of revising and essay writing , who said easter holiday.

anyway had a bit of fun shooting these targets and then range finding them, there was little wind but what there was of it was swirlling, here are the photos what do you think?

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u...dsgrouping.jpg
    i reg shoot 85yrds plus with my air arms s410 the guns are well capable of this its all down to the shooter the optics and pellets use