Thread: Air Arms Alfa Proj small review.

boff180 Guest

Air Arms Alfa Proj small review.

Evening guys,

Two weeks ago, I purchased an Air Arms variant Alfa Proj target pistol to use at our Wednesday night air pistol section meetings.

Due to the pistol being used by both my father (righty) and myself (lefty); there was not much choice. Very very few target pistols do a decent ambidextrous grip.

I thought some people may like a small review on the pistol.

The Pistol
    The pistol is based on the Alfa Proj CO2 "Sport" variant with an altered breach and muzzle brake added to the pistol. The pistol is also converted to PCP Air utilising the air-arms t-bar filling system petruding from the grip. Air-Arms have also installed a regulator into the mechanism.

The breach is spring loaded upon opening; revealing the pellet load tray; there is then a positive click when you lock the breach bolt sealed. The pistol is then seperately cocked by pushing the cocking link forward until it clicks.

The pistol also incorporates a dry fire/safety facility allowing you to practice firing the pistol unloaded or even loaded without wasting air or hitting a target.

The power of the pistol is fully adjustable both at the transfer port but also by a master power dial located underneath the barrel sleave. Adjustability is all over this pistol; the trigger being completely adjustable to even two stage or single stage, angle, height, weight of pull, length of pull.etc.

The Grip
    As stated earlier, the Air Arms grip differs from the standard Alfa Proj as being ambidextrous. Unusually for an ambidextrous grip it is made of wood and holds the hand comfortably, due to its shape, when you aim the pistol you wrist locks down. This allows you to hold the pistol extremely stable.

Sights
    The rear sight is fully adjustable and the foresight has three different sizes which can be changed by loosening a grub screw and turning the sight around. The sights are clear and easy to adjust.

What you get in the box
    This is the big let down with this pistol; especially with the mark-up on the CO2 version. The CO2 Alfa Proj comes in custom a padded hard case. The Air Arms Alfa Proj comes in a cardboard box! Which does strike of cheapness on Air Arms side. Inside the box you get the pistol, instruction manual, test card with 5 shots within a 4mm group. In addition, you get a barrel weight that can be installed and adjusted to suit along the barrel sleave, a t-bar charging adapter, tool kit including the special spanner to take the grip off and finally, a full spare set of seals.

Positives
    - Pretty much the first really decent ambidextrous gripped target pistol.
    - Ability to dry fire.
    - Ability to easily discharge all the air from the cylinder for long term storage.
    - Very well balanced.
    - Looks great.
    - Regulated.
    - Extremely accurate.
    - Over 100 shots on a single charge; which is impressive for such a tiny cylinder. Wednesday night, I got 110 shots before the pistol dumped its air (see below).

Negatives
    - No pressure gauge.
    - When the pressure level gets too low for the regulator the pistol dumps all its air. Therefore its wasted.
    - Dry fire/safety can only be activated once the pistol is cocked.
    - Safety can only be taken off once the pistol is cocked.
    - Crap box.
    - Expensive when compared against the CO2 variant.
    - If the air cylinder is empty; the pistol has to be cocked to close the valve in order to fill the cylinder.

Overall I am happy with my purchase; this is certainly a nice pistol and is far more accurate than I am!

Hope you found this of interest!

Andy
    Last edited by boff180; 12-04-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boff180 View Post
    Negatives
    - No pressure gauge.
    - When the pressure level gets too low for the regulator the pistol dumps all its air. Therefore its wasted.
    - Dry fire/safety can only be activated once the pistol is cocked.
    - Safety can only be taken off once the pistol is cocked.
    - Crap box.
    - Expensive when compared against the CO2 variant.
    - If the air cylinder is empty; the pistol has to be cocked to close the valve in order to fill the cylinder.

Overall I am happy with my purchase; this is certainly a nice pistol and is far more accurate than I am!

Hope you found this of interest!

Andy
    I think that's a positive for the target shooter!
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by boff180 View Post

What you get in the box
    This is the big let down with this pistol; especially with the mark-up on the CO2 version. The CO2 Alfa Proj comes in custom a padded hard case. The Air Arms Alfa Proj comes in a cardboard box! Which does strike of cheapness on Air Arms side. Inside the box you get the pistol, instruction manual, test card with 5 shots within a 4mm group. In addition, you get a barrel weight that can be installed and adjusted to suit along the barrel sleave, a t-bar charging adapter, tool kit including the special spanner to take the grip off and finally, a full spare set of seals.

Andy
    £500+ in a cardboard box!!!! AA really have summed up the gullibility of some British shooters.

A short time ago, Bengarzi suggested that many test cards are punched, not shot. I wonder how AA reduced the standard Alfa acceptance test of 8mm c/c down to 4mm?

I would have thought that an ambi grip, no matter how well shaped, would be a no-no on a serious target pistol, at least as the standard fitment. If it's customer's choice, then OK.

Yes, there is quite a price premium over the CO2 version, bit also that CO2 version carries a huge price premium over the RRP in the Czech Republic.

The Alfas are decent guns, but not at the prices we are being charged and the UK market is doing the manufacturers no favours.

All in all, rip-off Britain strikes again, IMO of course.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

boff180 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    £500+ in a cardboard box!!!! AA really have summed up the gullibility of some British shooters.
    The actual pistol cost less than £500 but obviously once you factor in the cost of the hard case.... and considering I shot aswell as a guy with a £1200 Steyr at the club last week, I'm happy.

A short time ago, Bengarzi suggested that many test cards are punched, not shot. I wonder how AA reduced the standard Alfa acceptance test of 8mm c/c down to 4mm?
    The card has definately been shot. Alfa have two specifications for the pistol listed on the manual; the standard variant has a tolerance of 6mm but the sport variant (which the AA is based on) has a tolerance of 4mm.

The Alfas are decent guns, but not at the prices we are being charged and the UK market is doing the manufacturers no favours.

All in all, rip-off Britain strikes again, IMO of course.
    Well right-handers aren't being ripped off as the CO2 version is available for you. It's lefties and especially those that share lefty/righty which have very little or no choice off the shelf.

Andy