Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning an Airsporter

Red face Tuning an Airsporter

Folks

Nestling in the cabinet, snuggled in between a Sauer Drilling and a .375HH -I have a mark two(?) BSA Airsporter.

Given to me at on my 14th birthday and the root cause of my shooting addiction. As a kid, I loved it enough to get Don Blocksidge to cover it with engraving - so doubt it has any collector value. Not an issue as it is a really sentimental item for me.

Questions though - as a shooter, I compare it with more modern offerings and the action seems to have a lot more 'twang' on firing.

Is it possible to tune it to provide a smother, quicker firing cycle? If so, who and how? Can a gas-ram be fitted instead of a spring?

Help!

Rgds Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

you have pm,re tuning
    rgds scirroco

Many thanks.

Any other thoughts are most welcome.

rgds Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching

Hi Mod

My MK2 Airsporter is fitted with an O ring piston head.
    This conversion was offered by BSA in the early 1970's and it enables you to use the later type Airsporter O ring which gives a better shot to shot consistancy and slightly more power. This conversion is available from Chambers but you have to send your piston to them for fitment.

From you're other post it looks like you have an OX mainspring fitted, the best thing to do with this is cut it down as they are normally too long and too powerful for their intended application and just produce piston bounce and lots of recoil when fitted at standard length.

Bonnie and Clyde appears to sell a tune up kit for the Mercury and later Airsporter, this should give you a spring and guide for use in your MK2.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

Cheers Mick

I have an O ring and PTFE piston head on my beasty - not sure as to the model so may actually be later than #2 if this was not a standard fit.

Tried contacting Bonnie & Clyde - HIS IN BOX IS FULL!!

(that's me being subtle! )

Rgds

Mod

A close fitting spring guide and possibly a piston liner with a lube up should sort out the twang Ian.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Rich

You mistake me for someone who knows SOMETHING about air-rifles!

Been advised to talk to Bonnie and Clyde as well as Nibbs, regarding kit for tune and replacement spring (whats wrong with an Ox anyhow! - any other thoughts?

Rgds Mod

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Don't forget to let me have the serial number so that I can tell you what model it is!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Rich

Been advised to talk to Bonnie and Clyde as well as Nibbs, regarding kit for tune and replacement spring (whats wrong with an Ox anyhow! - any other thoughts?

Rgds Mod
    OX springs are great!!! (for closing yer gate).
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by uk litehammer View Post
    I tried that after repeated recommendations, it made a crap gate closer.

Rich

Rgds Mod
    You won't go far wrong with one of Daves kits.

Rich

Thumbs up

i have a chambers kit in my airsporter s and the spring was a good two inches longer than the cylinder so today out came the grinder and my blowlamp now the springs lost 5 coils and the ends been collapsed so that its a neat job ...... just have to see in the morning what the powers upto ..... the action feels smoother and quieter (put a few pellets through it in the garden) i reckon that the springs coils must've been touching under compression

i'll post my results tommorrow

atb jonathan
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Cheers Mick

I have an O ring and PTFE piston head on my beasty - not sure as to the model so may actually be later than #2 if this was not a standard fit.

Tried contacting Bonnie & Clyde - HIS IN BOX IS FULL!!

(that's me being subtle! )

Rgds

Mod
    my airsporter has the alloy pistonhead i did have a nylon head on one of my old airsporters but they're prone to breaking
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

What Can be Done to Get Velocity Increase from MK I & MK II Airsporters

Interesting line of inquiry here. I've always wondered how the velocity of the older airsporters could be cranked back to around the 12 ft lbs plus mark. Certainly, the gun is built very well and has ample strength for tuning. The conical steel piston will be much more efficient than the later aluminum flat top type. Taking care of piston and loading tap sealing, adding spring thrust bearings, new machined spring guide, new spring are just really standard maintenance items rather than tuning for power. Has anyone tried an increased weight piston, or those plastic button bearings? Surely making a new piston with a probe that extends up the transfer port close to the tap? This would increase compression significantly. The transfer port could be radiused and the probe shaped to match it with a small clearance. It would mean a special cutter would be needed. What does the steel sheet wrapped around the spring do? I've seen it shown in tuning kits photos, but it looks like an item destined to jam something in a dynamic situation. I'd love to have time to tinker with this project. Has anyone tried to soup up a Mk I? Is there a gas spring available to fit?

Cheers Mick
    Mod
    If its a mark 2 (and mark 1) it should have an auto loading tap where the loading port opens automatically when you cock it. Great safety device.
    I recommend you stay with standard or B & C spring, good quality lube and enjoy a classic rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by uk litehammer View Post
    The Ox spring on my gate is so strong the frail old mother-in-law cant get in. Yes, Ox springs are brilliant on gates.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk