Thread: 1864 enfield help needed please

1864 enfield help needed please

hi
    ive been given an 1864 enfield percussion this evening,its in very nice condition!
    can anyone help with any info?? where they rifled originally or smooth bore?it is stamped 182 on the trigger guard,
    proof marks crown with vr underneath, then a crown,with crossed swords underneath,then underneath that a 2 and a crown upside down then underneath a crown with e7 underneath,it has the ramrod intact and extremely good overall condition.the bore inside is very clean ,just wondering if possibly bored to shotgun at some stage? also app value will try to post some pics tomorrow if anyone is interested??
    thanks in advance
    rgds scirroco

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I can't answer your questions, but I'd enjoy seeing pics of the gun.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

At the risk of being shot down in flames I don't think there is such a thing as an 1864. I know of 3 enfield "Pattern 53" muskets all of which were rifled and all .58 caliber.

The original was introduced in 1853 and had 3 barrel bands. The later 1858 (Naval pattern) was slightly shorter and had just 2 barrel bands. Finally a much shortened cavalry carbine known as the musketoon was introduced in 1861.

All of these were originally muzzle loading percussion cap muskets. Many were later converted to breech loaders using a conversion invented by Jacob Snider.

There were target variants in the form of a Volunteer rifle and a military target rifle, both of these were made in .451 caliber.

An internet search for Enfield followed by 1853, 1858 or 1861 will all prove fruitful, including details of the repro's made by Parker Hale from 1970 onwards. Also search for Enfield Snider conversion.

hi, i think smoothbore versions of these were issued to the indian army ,after the sepoy revolt it was practice to supply them with inferior weapons to ours..some one will no doubt correct me if i am wrong ...cheers greasemonkey

Enfield,

Hi, I think what the lads have posted are all true, originally would of been rifled, but they were issued to the indean army in smooth bore, hence the fixed sight, When the british army returned from the crimea, most of the enfields were shot out, and they went straight to the main armouries for refurb, if so, the stock should have makings stating this in the middle of the butt. I was told that the very bad ones were rebarrelled, and passed on for colonial use, Cheers Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    heres some pics
    You've got yourself a Sepoy

Should be smooth bored .69", you can tell by the crummy backsight.

I cut my ML teeth shooting a Sepoy on SGC while waiting for my FAC, first shot at 50 yards hit 2" below centre.

Everything went downhill thereafter but it was glorious if just for a moment

Yes, that's definately an 1853, but as everyone has said the rear sight is wrong. The originals were 58cal rifled but the smoothbored sepoy explaination sounds plausible.

We also gave them loads of smoothbored SMLEs in the early 20th century. They were bored to .410 and used by the Indian Police for riot control. Apparently the cartridges were loaded with 3 x .410 cal round balls.

hi guys thanks for your help,its smooth bored 69 looks about right
    the bore is in fantastic condition,does this gun have any collectors value or only worth handing in for destruction??
    rgds scirroco

I believe it could be a pattern 59 musket, is it .65 calibre?
    Daz

hi daz will get the micrometer
    and check
    thanks
    rgds scirroco

the bore is app 17mm across at the muzzle measured with a rule cant put my hands on the mike at the moment if anyone can do app calculation??
    rgds scirroco

I think it's 16 gauge, if I shoot clays with mine I load it as 16 gauge and the overshot cards fit

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    does this gun have any collectors value or only worth handing in for destruction??
    They were £50 to £60 for years then the price started to rise. Of the top of my head I'd guess a nice 3 band Sepoy has to be good for at least £300 to £400, maybe more. Repro's are practically unsaleable unless you can find a newbie with an empty gunsafe.

OTOH a recession is the time for buying not selling, people fall on hard times and there are bargains to be had. I have already severely rogered one American chum and I prowl the web at night time looking for more victims

thanks
    robin this one is in really nice condition,bore is fantastic no splits /cracks in woodwork
    thanks
    rgds scirroco