Thread: 1864 enfield help needed please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes, that's definately an 1853, but as everyone has said the rear sight is wrong. The originals were 58cal rifled but the smoothbored sepoy explaination sounds plausible.

We also gave them loads of smoothbored SMLEs in the early 20th century. They were bored to .410 and used by the Indian Police for riot control. Apparently the cartridges were loaded with 3 x .410 cal round balls.

hi guys thanks for your help,its smooth bored 69 looks about right
    the bore is in fantastic condition,does this gun have any collectors value or only worth handing in for destruction??
    rgds scirroco

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    does this gun have any collectors value or only worth handing in for destruction??
    They were £50 to £60 for years then the price started to rise. Of the top of my head I'd guess a nice 3 band Sepoy has to be good for at least £300 to £400, maybe more. Repro's are practically unsaleable unless you can find a newbie with an empty gunsafe.

OTOH a recession is the time for buying not selling, people fall on hard times and there are bargains to be had. I have already severely rogered one American chum and I prowl the web at night time looking for more victims

thanks
    robin this one is in really nice condition,bore is fantastic no splits /cracks in woodwork
    thanks
    rgds scirroco

I believe it could be a pattern 59 musket, is it .65 calibre?
    Daz

hi daz will get the micrometer
    and check
    thanks
    rgds scirroco

the bore is app 17mm across at the muzzle measured with a rule cant put my hands on the mike at the moment if anyone can do app calculation??
    rgds scirroco

I think it's 16 gauge, if I shoot clays with mine I load it as 16 gauge and the overshot cards fit