Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky tap

Question leaky tap

mk 5 airsporter with a leaky tap, any good fixes out there..thanks..wayne.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi mate.....do a search back in the threads, there was a long one about this very problem......will post a link if I find it before you!

Apiezon L grease was recommended in the thread about leaky Airsporter taps.

You can find the grease on Google.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

edbear2 Guest
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326260

Got there in the end........18 pages in

Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

airsporters

Quote Originally Posted by podgybear View Post
    mk 5 airsporter with a leaky tap, any good fixes out there..thanks..wayne.
    hi Podgybear

I have and have had quite a number of airsporters over the years
    The Mk1 and 11's had a tapered tap that is self adjusting and usually pretty air tight
    However the parallel taps of the later models all seem to leak to some extent. Some quite badly
    Some fix's i have read about include electro-plating the tap to slightly increase the O/D
    I have used a number of greases in the past to try and seal the taps but with very little success.

I would be interesting (if you have access to a chronograph) to check velocities before and after the application of the product advised above
    In particular after the gun has done quite a number of shots with the grease applied to the tap.
    Good luck and if it works then i will certainly buy some
    John
    hold me back !!

Thumbs up leaky tap

think i`ll try the grease first. thank for all your help...wayne

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326260

Got there in the end........18 pages in
    Hi, If you go further back ( Using the search facility ) about 12-15 months ago, I offered to plate taps ! & did a couple, Airsporter & Relum. & a plating service, Gold, Chrome, Black,
    with examples,
    Grease isn,t the answer, Cheers,
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 17-04-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: addition

Question leaky tap

well ged. do you still do them and if so when can you do it for me. i have a tornado and the tap on that is about 98% very good for east german eng. lol.

Plating

Hiya Ged,
    I too would also be interested in getting the worn tap on my Original 50T01 sorted as well- so if you ever consider having a small production run- please let me know and the cost?

Many thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya Ged,
    I too would also be interested in getting the worn tap on my Original 50T01 sorted as well- so if you ever consider having a small production run- please let me know and the cost?

Many thanks,
    Dave
    Hi Guys, I have the gear but I am not set up now, That thread was over a year ago,
    Rust removing, Pickling, Plating, Thats 4, containers of chemicals & the Electrics to set up. for 2, Taps !
    give you a shout when I have another gun to do, Sorry
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi Guys, I have the gear but I am not set up now, That thread was over a year ago,
    Rust removing, Pickling, Plating, Thats 4, containers of chemicals & the Electrics to set up. for 2, Taps !
    give you a shout when I have another gun to do, Sorry
    Cheers,
    No worrries from my point of view mate- any future time you do set up the tanks etc, I would be grateful if you could keep me in mind.
    Best regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    No worrries from my point of view mate- any future time you do set up the tanks etc, I would be grateful if you could keep me in mind.
    Best regards,
    Dave
    Cheers Dave, I am pleased you understood the problem,
    All the best, Ged.

One of the original threads could be mine ... a leaky Stutzen tap.
    I found two good solutions: the ptfe one where an 8mm ptfe rod is fitted into the tap then drilled out to 5.5mm. Leave the rod slightly proud to get a good airseal.
    The second was to make a new tap out of half inch steel rod. The difficulty I had was getting it to the correct, air tight diameter as I only had use of a pillar drill to spin the rod and 'wet and dry' to reduce it to size. Then carefully tap one end 3.5mm for the tap lever. Then carefully cut the end so that the tap lever fits OK. Then even more carefully drill the tap to take the pellet ... 5.5 mm or 5.55 if you can find the drill. Finally drill for the spring and ball. Careful measurement is needed and I admit that on one attempt I got the pellet hole just out of central. Also critical is getting the tap hole aligned with the bore ... shim washers help here. I had to make some but eventually got it right. We found the Stutzen shot best with 5.6mm pellets seated into the tap. I think that anyone with access to a lathe could do a good job much more quickly and accurately than I did.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    One of the original threads could be mine ... a leaky Stutzen tap.
    I found two good solutions: the ptfe one where an 8mm ptfe rod is fitted into the tap then drilled out to 5.5mm. Leave the rod slightly proud to get a good airseal.
    The second was to make a new tap out of half inch steel rod. The difficulty I had was getting it to the correct, air tight diameter as I only had use of a pillar drill to spin the rod and 'wet and dry' to reduce it to size. Then carefully tap one end 3.5mm for the tap lever. Then carefully cut the end so that the tap lever fits OK. Then even more carefully drill the tap to take the pellet ... 5.5 mm or 5.55 if you can find the drill. Finally drill for the spring and ball. Careful measurement is needed and I admit that on one attempt I got the pellet hole just out of central. Also critical is getting the tap hole aligned with the bore ... shim washers help here. I had to make some but eventually got it right. We found the Stutzen shot best with 5.6mm pellets seated into the tap. I think that anyone with access to a lathe could do a good job much more quickly and accurately than I did.
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi, When aligning the barrel to Tap cylinder, There is only one way ? First off, you have to align & fix the tap in its firing position,

You have to make a Dummy bore aligner, This is a cylinder of .21 ish, in plastic ( I used Carbon fibre ) With a lathe centred drill bit or Self centreing bit to drill the hole from the Barrel/front end !
    This can then be opened out & the required taper to allow the pellet to be fitted from the rear,
    Cheers,