Thread: Baby BSA prewar model D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    edbear2 Guest

Baby BSA prewar model D

I like the look and feel of small guns, webley junior rifles etc.....in fact anything miniature....maybe its all the airfix kits and lead soldiers I had as a nipper.....One day, when I have a lot more time on my hands, I want to do a 1/3 or 1/4 scale prewar similar to some I have seen on the net.......anyway, I have had a 39" imp mod D apart....the cylinder was bulged at the barrel joint and had a deep dent......didnt really have a plan of what I was going to do until two things happened....I got hold of a 13 inch stock, (from Johns D....it was too short for me), and was browsing Hillers and saw the L the Lincoln gun........you can guess where this is leading by now......I was going to be a bit cheeky and post a pic of the finished article to see if anyone would fall for it, but have decided I want to keep this job "public" as I have no intention to deceive anyone, and no intention to pass of the finished article as something it is not. So....some pics of progress....barrel and cylinder are now a bit shorter than the L model, I think sorting out the cocking stroke and piston etc. will be a bit of fun, but hopefully it will all work O.K.!.....have bought a dovetail cutter to move the sight/latch slots, so thats no prob.....really should have a slimmer 11" stock, but am not touching that as I am just making a small gun, not a ringer!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7616789686347/

facinating stuff Eddie you never cease to amaze me.

Regards

John

Hi Edbear,

Looks interesting and will be great to shoot ! You realize that its now only a matter of time now before you manufacture a Military Pattern !

Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    facinating stuff Eddie you never cease to amaze me.

Regards

John
    Or me

Looks like a nice metal finish too. Whats the secret Mateycool:

edbear2 Guest
    scotchbrite 205mm x 25mm deburring wheels at 3000 rpm........various grades...the medium gives a standard factory finish if you want an original looking gun after bluing.......or go over the whole thing after with a fine/very fine grade wheel (they are spindle mounted on a 3hp canning floor mounted motor, like you see in a polishing/plating shop)...then polish with sisal first then open weave mop to obtain a mirror finish if thats what you need .the scotchbrite wheels cost about £50 a pop......but I do it at work

http://alpineabrasives.co.uk/shop/pr...roductid=26066

edbear2 Guest
    Been insane at work for a bit......but I have managed to do a little bit more on this baby by getting in early from time to time.....also, I found a murdered, stockless, model "L" at malvern fleamarket....see the pic of what the poor thing has suffered and this has speeded things up a bit.......anyway....instead of making things easy for myself at the start and reducing the damaged imp D cylinder to the same as an L...I made it 1/4 inch longer (more power!!!!).....the result being that of course all the cocking arm/piston ratio would be a fuss......so this model L turned out to be a godsend...I have used the D piston rod,shortened to suit the stroke, and the L secondary link, combined with the L piston....and it all cocks and fires like a good'un....so the finished article will be in the style of, and with the stock, sights and markings of a 1908 gun, but with slightly more grunt than a light model (thats if the extra 1/4" stroke makes any difference!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7616789686347/