Thread: beginers guide to BP pistols...... tell me more!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gun, caps, ball, black powder and a means of measuring it plus some trex/beeswax mix.

just to add an inexperienced view on what i was thinking.....

i do not know what pistol it was i was using but i will try to describe it.

it was a 6 shot revolver, hammer action, compression clamp thingy under the barrel (full of technical terms me!!!)

to my memory, to load the pistol a pre-measured quantity of powder was poured in, ground rice (again, pre-measured) on top then compressed - ball pressed in after this. primer type caps added around the base of the revolving magazine (more of these technical terms!!!) then shoot the thing!

I liked the style and the feel of that pistol and if i got something similar, is what i saw the only gear i would need??? e.g. pistol, ball, packer, powder and some powder scales & something to store it in once measured.

the chap who introduced me had a cracking setup with what looked like a fishing tackle box with a load of pre-weighed phials of packer and powder.

also - as a general idea of what it will cost to delve into this intriguing area of the sport, what would i be looking at for a 'basic' setup.

Sounds like a good set up your mates got. You will get lots of advice as to which gun is better than another and wether you should use a wad or lube over the balls or even which caps to use. If you like your mates set up then you have a good starting point to aim for although i would recommend you try more than one make of pistol before buying. Guns such as the remington have quite a small grip were as the Rogers and spencer have a larger grip, again it comes to personal choice. Costs will vary hugely but this is roughly what i payed for my original set up about 8 years ago.
    Gun; .44 Rogers and spencer in london grey. £300 new from Henry Kranks.
    Scales; RCBS 5-0-5. £35 second hand.
    Powder viles; £14 a hundred + £2 for a couple of plastic .44 bullet boxes to keep em in. I did have to cut the viles down by about 6mm to get them in the boxs.
    Lee Powder scoops; About £10 for a set of all the sizes you will ever nead.
    Balls; Approx £10 a hundred. I cast my own so may be dearer than that now.
    Powder; I use swiss black powder which runs at about £40 a kilo. You can use a b/p substitute but cost i think is slightly more depending what type you use.
    Caps; Remington no11s. £4.40 a hundred.
    Filler; Semolina. 50p a box, ISH.
    Lube; Wonder lube. £12 a pot but lasts for ages. Iv also used water pump grease which works ok but is very messy compared to the wonder lube. Some prefer a lubed wad which is probably cleaner still but i like to use w/lube.

Thats about it for a basic get you shooting list but on top you will probably want stuff like a lolly stick to apply the lube, a towel to rest your gun on on the bench, a pot to put your filler in, cleaning jag and rod, wd40 and a box to put it all in plus all sorts of nic nacks you will aquire along the way.

To those who are just starting to shoot b/p it must seem like a lot of messing about and i suppose quite daunting. Its not. Once you get the hang of the basics, especially safety it really is a doddle and totally addictive. As you gain experience you will find out which bits of all the advice work for you and which bits dont. Have fun.

Do you wan't to shoot single-shot MZ' pistols such as the 'Kuchenreuter'?

Let's help you out by using advising you of the correct descriptive names we all use...
    i do not know what pistol it was i was using but i will try to describe it.

it was a 6 shot revolver, hammer action, compression clamp thingy under the barrel (full of technical terms me!!!)

Single-action revolver, loading lever.

to my memory, to load the pistol a pre-measured quantity of powder was poured in, ground rice (again, pre-measured) on top then compressed - ball pressed in after this. primer type caps added around the base of the revolving magazine (more of these technical terms!!!) then shoot the thing!

percussion caps, cylinder, with[usually] six chambers [some pocket pistols have only five]

I liked the style and the feel of that pistol and if i got something similar, is what i saw the only gear i would need??? e.g. pistol, ball, packer, powder and some powder scales & something to store it in once measured.

'packer' is called filler.

the chap who introduced me had a cracking setup with what looked like a fishing tackle box with a load of pre-weighed phials of packer and powder.

that's about right!

Others have answered you here - all my kit was bought so long ago that the prices would mean nothing.

tac

BTW - for sealing over the ends of the chambers over the ball I have used stuff called E45 for the last near thirty years. It is a dermalogical hand-cream sold by Boots, and is not only an excellent lube and fouling softener, but it also washes away really easy, as it is an emulsion. No smell either.

I got a second hand colt walker reproduction, .44 calibre, powder flask and a half full pot of Hodgdons pyrodex, and 100 primers thrown in for £125 from Crawfords in Scunthorpe.

I bought a ball mold, lead pourer, a cheap stainless pan and one of those small camping gas stoves that comes in a mini suitcase for about £40 all in. I use scrap lead scrounged from workmates (you wouldn't believe how much appears if you ask nicely!)

All in all a quite cheap but extremely enjoyable romp into the days of the outlaw Josey Wales (that's where I first saw the pistol!!)

Just be prepared for the cleanup after the fun!!