Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defiants

Defiants

Hello

Has any one attempted long range target using 177 Defiants?
    Are they more prone to the affects of wind being so light?
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

Venator Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric O'shay View Post
    Hello

Has any one attempted long range target using 177 Defiants?
    Are they more prone to the affects of wind being so light?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    So light in .177 at 7.5 grains and 15 grains ?

General consensus is yes, they are affected by the wind alot, the .22 are supposed to be alot better.

Has anyone (not connected with defiant distribution) actually used the .22 to confirm they are better as i found the .177 flavour a waste of space?

I have the Defiant try pack with 5.48-5.50-5.52 and the last two work fine in my Diana 54. I made a small combarison with JsB 14.3 and i find them almost the same in accuracy and BC. I am going to use them in paper target and long range shooting !
    Last edited by Xristos; 29-05-2009 at 11:42 AM.

How about 1" groups at a measured 68 yards with .177 Defiants, from a Theoben Rapid 17FT, off a bench rest?
    And Daystate Rangemasters, at one grain heavier, and from the same company as Defiants are as good if not better still.
    And both out penetrate anything else on the market to boot - what else could anyone want?

jsbs are pritty good

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    How about 1" groups at a measured 68 yards with .177 Defiants, from a Theoben Rapid 17FT, off a bench rest?
    And Daystate Rangemasters, at one grain heavier, and from the same company as Defiants are as good if not better still.
    And both out penetrate anything else on the market to boot - what else could anyone want?
    jsbs exacts are very good also i am getting 1 inch groups at 130 yards with .22 airwolf mvt at 33 ft lbs.

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/42...600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

With 14gr Defiant 5.50 out of box at 80m with Diana 54 and 880 fps.

I used the old SN2s and PCP2s and past 45 yards they corkscrewed majorly, the new ones (name escapes me) seem a LOT better.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

defiants 18gr FAC

im useing the FAC rated Defiants (18gr) out to 100yrds with my Ds mk4 @ 32ft/lbs and they fly lovely and flat and hit quite hard as well. just wish i could get some
    in .25!!!
    Daystate Airwolf MVT.22 40ft RUGER77/17hmr RUGER SR22
    "DON'T EVER SHOOT A 17 HMR. What ever you thought you knew about 22 rim fires, and loved about them, will be lost forever. It's like dumping your wife for Miss America."

Consensus among many FT/HFT shooters (if there is such a thing ) seems to be that they don't group well beyond 35-40 yds in most 12 ft.lbsf rifles. The speculation is that it's to do with rifling twist rates. Launched at the lower spin speeds of 12 ft.lbsf, pellets start to rely on drag stabilisation at longer ranges so diabolos win out, whereas the bullet shaped pellets start to wobble. Grouping and wind performance then go out of the window.

With FAC they spin faster so they stay stable for much longer.

As I say this is speculation but seems to fit most accounts I've read. FAC: yes, sub 12ft.lbsf fine up to 35 yds or so.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Don't shoot FAC but the ones I tried in my sub 12 ft/lb Wolf were bloody rubbish My desert eagle pistol liked em
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

i personally love em

using med head .177 tonight i was turning the bottom of a bean tin into a teabag at 85yrds

they fly fast and hard , ok not tight groupers but they will go through both sides of the tin at that range

sub 12 HW98

ells

the 16 grainers in .177 are possibly the worst pellet I have ever tried...out of 3 high power airguns the best group ran at 4" at 50m
    www.delgi.com
    www.olympicguns.co.za
    Steyr LG110 FT
    Steyr LG110 HP .20cal
    Steyr LG20 FT
    AA S400 Ginb FT
    HW100 FAC Ginb FT
    FX Verminator,Gladiator, Ranchero
    Logun Axsor
    Logun S16Xs FAC
    FWB300S
    AA Venom ProSport Ginb FT
    AA Venom TX200HC CS1000
    Steyr LP50 and LP10
    SAM K15
    Theoben Evo .177
    Theoben Crusader .20
    BSA Lightning XL Tactical .177
    Winchester Mod52 .22LR silhouette
    Hammerli 152 Electronic .22 free pistol, others...

Looking at the comments they seem quite hit and miss. Some seem to find them very accurate, and some find them to group like a shotgun, but with not much inbetween. Very odd. They must be quite rifling fussy I'd guess.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'