Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage BSA"Standard" air rifle .22

Cool Vintage BSA"Standard" air rifle .22

I have aquired this old rifle and its in fair condition.. It shoots well and develops just over 8ft lbs. I have taken it apart and there are TWO springs in it . Is this normal? Both springs are 13mm long and 2mm in diameter. What spring(s) do I need for this piece? I want to refurbish it . Where can I get parts? It is First world war period. Any help from the experts out there would be appreciated , Thanks...

I think you are a bit out with your dimensions

They are fitted with two springs (wound opposite).
    You can get replacement springs from John Knibbs.

ATB
    Ray.

You haven't given us much info to go on. Does your gun have a push button to the end of the underlever? or isthe button on the side (If so it would be a very early pre-1918 Standard which were produced when the Improved Model D's finished)

If I assume that it has the button on the end of the underlever, it should then have an 'S' prefix to the serial number. Does it have two screw holes in the trigger block or three screw holes ( the two hole is the earlier one - around 1919 - 1921)

I think your gun should have a pair of springs, and replacements for these can be purchased from John Knibbs at the country store. Often you also find faults with the leather piston washer, as it can disintegrate after long service. I ould recommend that you fit a new leather piston washer if you intend to use the gun much. If you buy a new piston washer from John Knibbs remember to soak it in oil for an hour or two before fitting, as they come without lube when you buy them.

All the best

Lakey

Lightbulb Vintage BSA

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    I think you are a bit out with your dimensions

They are fitted with two springs (wound opposite).
    You can get replacement springs from John Knibbs.

ATB
    Ray.
    Hello Ray, Thanks for reply. Yes dimensions are 130mm and 20mm on the springs. Would you say that it needs new springs? What ft/lbs can this piece produce? Can it produce 12ft/lbs? What sort of oil is required for the washer? Ser No is S41946. It has 3 screws in the trigger block and push button on the cocking lever. Apologies for all the questions, thanks, John-----

Lightbulb Vintage Bsa

Hello Lakey, Thanks for reply. The piece has a push button on the cocking lever. It has 3 screws on the trigger block Ser No is S41946. Is it capable of 12ft/lbs or what in your experience? The foresight has a removable hood with BSA stamped on it . Thanks again.. John

Just measured a replacement spring, Length = 117mm, O/D = 21mm and I/D = 13mm. Two springs of course. Springs can and will vary in temper so dimensions are not everything.

It sounds like your gun is a "Standard" from 1928 going off the serial number.

ATB
    Ray.

Smile Vintage BSA

Hello again Ray, You say new springs would be 117mm. The springs I have taken out are 130mm. Your OD and ID correct, can you check the 117mm please. Should it be 170 perhaps? Any idea what ft/lbs it will produce? Regards John..

Quote Originally Posted by redrosebow View Post
    Any idea what ft/lbs it will produce? Regards John..
    The larger pre-War BSAs are theoretically capable of reaching the legal limit but they shoot nice and smoothly at somewhat lower power levels. Probably best not to be too preoccupied with power when servicing these lovely old rifles.

Only use neatsfoot or silicone oil on the leather piston washer, this will prevent dieselling and will preserve the leather.
    I am currently re-furbing a 1923 BSA standard Light model and have purchased parts from John Knibbs, just make sure you really need the parts, as they are incredibly expensive. ( mainspring, piston washer, 3 screws, front sight and 2 rear sight parts = £91)#

Good luck with the build

Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by redrosebow View Post
    Hello again Ray, You say new springs would be 117mm. The springs I have taken out are 130mm. Your OD and ID correct, can you check the 117mm please. Should it be 170 perhaps? Any idea what ft/lbs it will produce? Regards John..
    Yes, new springs are 117mm long.

As I said about temper. They could be quite a bit "stiffer" although shorter.
    The two springs together would be about as long as a HW35 spring.

I would be happy with 9/10 FPE.

ATB
    Ray.

John,

You appear to be asking a lot of questions about potential power of your BSA. This is missing the point with these old guns, as they never develop the power of modern sporting/hunting airguns in my opinion.

The joy of these pre-war guns is their sheer accuracy- mostly as a direct result of a quality barrel, and top quality workmanship. Power should not be an issue. Most pre-war BSA's make around 9-10.5 Ft/lb when running well, and in that condition they give great service, and are sweet to shoot.You need to bear in mind that a lot of these guns are 80+ years old!

I have heard of a few people in my time who have tinkered with these guns to try and extract the maximum power possible. All they end up with, is a gun that will have lost its legendary accuracy and become very hard and coarse to shoot.In the search for power, piston bounce is increased dramatically as is cylinder/piston damage, not to mention strain on all the other parts. My advice would be to concentrate on maximising accuracy rather than power. If you want power at or near the legal limit of 12ft/lbs, then choose a more modern gun.

These old iconic BSA's are a link back to a time when Britains industrial output, was the envy of the entire world, and BSA was one of the top gun producers in the entire world. These guns need to be looked after, and treated gently.If treated well, they should go on for another good few years.

All the best with your refurbishment of an English Classic !!

Lakey

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    John,

You appear to be asking a lot of questions about potential power of your BSA. This is missing the point with these old guns, as they never develop the power of modern sporting/hunting airguns in my opinion.

The joy of these pre-war guns is their sheer accuracy- mostly as a direct result of a quality barrel, and top quality workmanship. Power should not be an issue. Most pre-war BSA's make around 9-10.5 Ft/lb when running well, and in that condition they give great service, and are sweet to shoot.You need to bear in mind that a lot of these guns are 80+ years old!

I have heard of a few people in my time who have tinkered with these guns to try and extract the maximum power possible. All they end up with, is a gun that will have lost its legendary accuracy and become very hard and coarse to shoot.In the search for power, piston bounce is increased dramatically as is cylinder/piston damage, not to mention strain on all the other parts. My advice would be to concentrate on maximising accuracy rather than power. If you want power at or near the legal limit of 12ft/lbs, then choose a more modern gun.

These old iconic BSA's are a link back to a time when Britains industrial output, was the envy of the entire world, and BSA was one of the top gun producers in the entire world. These guns need to be looked after, and treated gently.If treated well, they should go on for another good few years.

All the best with your refurbishment of an English Classic !!

Lakey
    As ever, wise words from Lakey...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Smile Vintage bsa

Hello again, Thanks again for your wise words. I have ordered new springs. The ones that were in it were not oppositly wound so they are not correct for it . My intention is to get a rabbit for the kitchen with it . When sorted I think it will be up to that . Thanks again John.....

Vintage BSA

Have recieved new springs and fitted them. They are of course considerably stronger than the old ones. Used the original leather washer after a lube with silicone grease. Wham! Blam! the piece now kicks like a goosed mule! The accuracy is wild too. Compromised and removed one of the new springs so it is now running on one new one and one old one. Much better and smoother to use . Had power check on my friends chrono and over 5 shots it is doing 10.4lbs. I think that will do me for now. Many thanks to Chris in the Midlands for advice... Now I wonder how much a blueing job would cost mmmm! Thanks all at forum for your interest..

BSA Serial #

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    Just measured a replacement spring, Length = 117mm, O/D = 21mm and I/D = 13mm. Two springs of course. Springs can and will vary in temper so dimensions are not everything.

It sounds like your gun is a "Standard" from 1928 going off the serial number.

ATB
    Ray.

I have a BSA Standard 22 bore
    Serial: S77746
    PAT 30338-10

Would you be able to tell me the year it was made?