Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 loads

Unbelievable the amount of people suggesting target bullets for a deer load
    Thanks for looking

I use 44g N140 with 165g Sierra gamekings (spitzer or Hollow points) in Sako's (85 varminter and TRG) for Fallow and Roe. They group hole on hole at 100 , I've used this load for 10 year's plus .

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Unbelievable the amount of people suggesting target bullets for a deer load
    More worryingly an unbelievable number of people offering "pet loads" without the slightest inkling about the rifle they will be fired in, brass type or primers.

To the OP.

IF you buy second hand ask to try the rifle yourself and ideally with the hand loads the current owner is using, then take their load data as a start point if the cases are not showing signs of over pressure and the load groups well.

Or at the very least ask to see some test targets and empties.

Decide on the bullet you want to start with (probably only be a weight to start with) and see whether you can source them and a suitable powder readilly. With .308 the world is your starfish, but you need to be able to get hold of the components.

Then look at the manufacturers load date fro the powder, they pretty well all publish this on line now.

A good low cost and available powder is the Ramshot range, tac and wildboar meter particularly well. RS52 is a great .308 powder that produces good velocity while being less spiky than the usual culprits like N140. Both of these powders are available.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    More worryingly an unbelievable number of people offering "pet loads" without the slightest inkling about the rifle they will be fired in, brass type or primers.
    Indeed, half these loads would cause real pressure in my aged .308!!
    Thanks for looking

44gr of N140 for 147grn S&B FMJ

42.2 Gr of XBR8208, 168gr Sierra Match (For a 1:10 twist)
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.