Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Post Identification help needed

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by novisor View Post
    Any ideas on value?
    ... Not a great deal unfortunately, as imco possibly only £60 plus post, absolute tops/max, and maybe much less . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Not a great deal unfortunately, as imco possibly only £60 plus post, absolute tops/max, and maybe much less . Atb: G.
    As Gareth says - £60 is about right if it's in good nick!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Cheers Guys

Following the links it seems to be a pre war Diana 27. Which would seem right as Nobby remembers his dad using when he was still a very young child and he is 74 now. The condition is nothing like that in the links but it looks to be in original condition to me and has been stored for at least the last 30 year. It has no cracks in the stock and cocks and shoots perfectly.

Any ideas on value or how to get it valued?

Cheers
    If it is a pre-War 27 it will have a flat-backed rear cylinder cap, like the top gun in this photo. Also the stock should be walnut, it will have "DRP" on the left rear of the cylinder just above the stock, and the trigger can be cocked and fired independently without compressing the mainspring fully.

Personally I think the above valuations could apply nicely to a post-War Diana 27 but a pre-War DRP 27 with full length stock (dating from 1930s) is much rarer and therefore should be more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Personally I think the above valuations could apply nicely to a post-War Diana 27 but a pre-War DRP 27 with full length stock (dating from 1930s) is much rarer and therefore should be more valuable.
    Yes - if it's pre-war, you're quite right. It doesn't look that old to me though, however, I could well be wrong!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I think the above valuations could apply nicely to a post-War Diana 27 but a pre-War DRP 27 with full length stock (dating from 1930s) is much rarer and therefore should be more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post

Yes - if it's pre-war, you're quite right. It doesn't look that old to me though, however, I could well be wrong!
    .... ditto x3 for me too .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Probably between £50-70 if it is in good nick. We have a couple at that get used @ the BFTO.
    A man's best friend is his weapon.....

BFTO Member and Vintage enthusiast.

Smile A very big thank you.

Guys A big thank you to every one on this. Yesterday I had no idea what the gun was now I not only have a very good idea but also have a fantastic history on the gun.

The end of the rear cylinder cap is flat and the stock is cetainly walnut, however, there is no way to tell if the words DRP are there because of the surface rust. I am not sure about the trigger, both cocked and uncocked it has what feels like a clssic two stage trigger pull if that helps? Reading through the links that were recomended I wonder if it could be a post war gun that was using pre war bits (stock and cylinder etc) as I see that was common. Also I am not sure if the stock is the original length. I am 5:10" and it fits me but it does have a steel butt plate fitted which I see was not the norm and could indicate shortening. I may well remove it to see if the grooving is there.

As to the value this one maybe for sale as Nobby has no one to leave it too, I have grown fond of it and the research process has made me even more interested, however I need another gun like I need the tooth ache, so I will maybe take a deep breath on that over the weekend.

Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Once agin thank you to all who helped and made me feel very welcome on the forum

As to the value this one maybe for sale as Nobby has no one to leave it too, I have grown fond of it and the research process has made me even more interested, however I need another gun like I need the tooth ache, so I will maybe take a deep breath on that over the weekend.
    Just buy it - you know you want to!

Paddy
    not the advice I was looking for...on the other hand might be handy for one of the kids...

Paddy
    ..on the other hand might be handy for one of the kids...
    What more justification could you possibly need - I've bought loads for the very same reason!

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    What more justification could you possibly need - I've bought loads for the very same reason!
    Understatement....
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

I have rather run out of good will with the wife when using that excuse, so this one probably won’t be for me.

On a related note what sort of power would these have been putting out when new and how much is it likely to be producing now?