Thread: New Avenues

New Avenues

Hi. Just joined (finally), and after scanning the sections, thought the following would be best here. Been a rim fire practical mini rifle shooter (using a tricked-up Ruger 10/22), but got fed up with it being an indoor discipline, so am exploring outdoor shooting sports, and as I also hold a few air rifles (FAC and 12ft.lb), am here to learn about HFT.

This is because as I do a fair bit of proper hunting, I think HFT may be for me? Anyway. hello and excuse any dumb Qs I may ask, although they may not be for a while, as I will probably just read entries for the first few weeks until I get the picture and decide if it is for me (just being honest here as may just be a temporary visitor on a learning curve ).

Charlie Boy.

Sporting Rifle?

Anyone got any links or info on Sporting Rifle comp shooting please (rules etc). Thank you in advance. Rgds: Charlie Boy.

You could try taking a look at this forum.

Steve
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Thanks Steve, just have, and Scooby has sent me a link on it (a little light reading for lunch time then ). Rgds: Charlie Boy.

For others interested, here is a brief over view of Sporting Rifle as explained to me by a BBS member today (thanks Sam). Sporting Rifle is shot along F-T rules, but no range finding. You have to best guess the distance then set px and mag (no limit) before bringing scope up to eye and can re-set px and mag for each target. This sounds a very interesting discipline, and one that I believe most mirrors real hunting, so may be the one for me? Still enjoying the reading on FT and HFT though. Rgds: Charlie.

And if you want to shoot stuff bigger than rimfire why not join the BBS rifle and pistol club. We shoot twice a month at Bisley.

Hi bullbarrel. One day maybe. Just heard from an HFT club in the west who allow the setting of scopes before raising to the eye for each target (but still only 12 mag max which is fine). Now that sounds very good and much more like real hunting than having to leave your scope on the same setting from the first target to the last (which you just don't do in the real world). I like the sound of this hybrid of the two. Do other clubs do this too? Rgds: Charlie.

Invite

Hi here,I see you are about 15 mins from our club ,only shoot to UKAHFT rules and we have a shoot on WED evening the 6th MAY ,its in the woods and a good course is there to be shot so come on down as I think its the best way to see what HFT is about
    Ask for Laity and I;ll buy you a tea .
    the chef
    [Ian Bainbridge]

Thanks popsheep, will hopefully take you up on that invite one Wednesday before the summer is out (two sugars and just a little milk in mine please ). Regds: Charlie.