Thread: beginners guide to bp part two... calibre??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    It now transpires that the shooter that this issue refers to was new to black powder. Instead of reading the menu before starting to cook he jumped in with both feet and loaded with Accurate No.5 for God's sake. A double based smokeless powder.

Apparently, somewhere on the label it said "universal" so he thought it was all right to use it.

My only question would be "How did he get away so lightly?"

More information will follow as I get it.
    I can't find my 'Oh dear God NO' smilie so I'll have to use How did the chap ever get into the sport without someone, somewher, saying NEVER stick anything else other than black powder in the gun.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Jumped in

Quote Originally Posted by northern35s View Post
    I can't find my 'Oh dear God NO' smilie so I'll have to use How did the chap ever get into the sport without someone, somewher, saying NEVER stick anything else other than black powder in the gun.
    He jumped in without trying to learn. This is being addressed at the club at the moment. ALL muzzle loader shooters will have to undergo a training course prior to being allowed on the range.

While this is a right royal pain in the 'arris I can quite see why it's being done and will support the move. Probably it's motivated by a combination of pressures from H&E and the range insurers.

It's certainly made me re-examine the procedures that I follow when shooting.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Read why I take loading and reloading about as seriously as it is possible to imagine -

In 1983 I was standing in the neighbouring shooting bay when less than ten feet away from me, a young man was sitting on the ground, propped up agains the wall between us, bleeding to death from injuries he had suffered when his friend's revolver blew up as he stood beside him shooting another handgun.

Using borrowed and unfamiliar reloading gear, his pal had hand-loaded 158gr JHP bullets into .38 Special cases for his dad's old Military Police-issue WW2 Colt.

But with a load that was three times a good load for a .357Mag - 24.6gr of Unique...

The gun let go at the third shot, with a piece of the cylinder passing through the victim's neck and other fragments into his face and eyes - had he survived he would have been blind anyhow.

We kept him alive long enough for him to die as we unloaded him in my arms at the nearby ER unit - as most folks know, it's very hard to put a tourniquet on a person's neck.

tac