Thread: PTFE piston spec ???

PTFE piston spec ???

Hi,I have just tagged this question on to another thread, then realised no-one will spot it
    So, can anyone please give a little more spec on the PTFE pistons? Do they run an "O" ring seal as well as the piston, or, is the piston itself machined to a seal finish. I've got "all the gear but no idea" (again)
    Any assistance would be great as I would like to bring at least one Airsporter up to the standard it would have been if designed today (internally).
    T.I.A.
    Rod

hi rod
    the ptfe is the seal itself you have pm coming
    rgds scirroco

The Airsporter heads I've seen have been made only of PTFE with a slight wedge profile rather than a sealing lip. You size them with abrasive paper and then firing the rifle makes the final fit as the soft material forms to the cylinder bore.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Personally if I was intending to bring an Airsporter up to more modern standards I'd be looking to fit a parachute type seal in place of the alloy head.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Personally if I was intending to bring an Airsporter up to more modern standards I'd be looking to fit a parachute type seal in place of the alloy head.
    At the moment they all have Nylon heads but please enlighten me about parachute heads. Can you give me any details / spec
    I stopped shootng when early Airsporters were current so have a lot to catch up on now I have a rekindled interest.

Rod

Thanks for the PM Steve, appreciated and will ring

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Mate......I am not up on all the modern gear, but these might be what he is on about!

http://www.shootingandscuba.co.uk/ac...ce_Spares.html

Click on the weihrauch link to see piccys of piston seals.......I fitted one of these for a guy a while back, and thought to myself what a well designed bit of kit .......compared to the slices of dead cow I use in my old bangers!

Thanks Ed, I'll check it out.

Rod

T R Robb used to sell a ptfe piston head for the Airsporter and Mercury, find him here http://www.trobb.f9.co.uk/

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    At the moment they all have Nylon heads but please enlighten me about parachute heads. Can you give me any details / spec
    I stopped shootng when early Airsporters were current so have a lot to catch up on now I have a rekindled interest.

Rod

Thanks for the PM Steve, appreciated and will ring
    Ah, later Airsporters have an alloy head in place of the earlier nylon unit.

The parachute seals are what you would find in most modern rifles, fitting one to an Airsporter would take some engineering of the lathe variety, I'm not aware of a drop in conversion unfortunately.

Rich

Ah, well, I've got the lathe, all I need is the spec (having never seen one).
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Ah, well, I've got the lathe, all I need is the spec (having never seen one).
    Rod
    The seals pictured >>here<< are parachute seals, first step would be finding the internal diameter of the compression tube, then a seal that matches it before working out how to join the seal to the piston.

If anyone out there knows the internal diameter of a Mk6 Airsporter 'S' I'd be interested.

Rich

Hi Rod

Internal diameter of an Airsporter cylinder is 1.125"

As you have your own lathe why not try machining a new O ring head for your Airsporter?

The standard head loses a lot of compression as its front face is not the same shape as the end of the cylinder.

The buffer washer can be removed from behind the piston head so that the piston head can be moved backwards to sit on the piston so gaining a small increase in stroke.

All the best Mick

Hi, thanks for all the info so far, it's a great help. Any other little snippets more than welcome.
    What I would like to do is replicate the best so far then improve on that, the theory being , that if I can get the piston / seal assembly perfect, I can then reduce spring length / tension thereby retaining performance but making a smoother rifle.

I think a chrono really should be the next purchase, firing into a piece of 3/4 ply isn't really good engineering practise, or very accurate

Thanks
    Rod