Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gsg-5

Gsg-5

It had been a long time coming, so when they finally arrived I was very excited about the new gun. My first impressions were that it was a very good looking little rifle. It is very light and point able, with easy to use controls. I was quite concerned about the 16” barrel when I first heard about this rifle, however the company have done a very good job with the fake moderator shroud. It looks just right, and in fact when I took it to the range, the majority of shooters thought it actually was a sound moderator. The barrel is a very thin profile on the GSG, most likely to reduce weight. On the range it seemed accurate enough for a fun gun, just don’t expect to shoot a possible at 100m with it!

When handling the gun, parts of it do feel a bit cheaply made, for example the fore grip feels like it is off a toy, (and most likely is, since the company originated from the airsoft market). The same goes for the plastic stock, and the pistol grip isn’t the most comfy thing ever. This isn’t a major problem, and I’m probably just nit-picking, nevertheless you can tell the difference between the straight, simple GSG-5 grip, and a real H&K MP5 one, which is contoured with finger/thumb groves to fit your thumb comfortably.

The action on the other hand is very solidly made. Unlike the trigger group, stock and forend, it is all metal, and seems to live up to the expected standards of German engineering. There are countless screws holding the 2-part receiver together, along with the cocking handle, and main-spring, although for normal cleaning it is not necessary to undo these, and it is probably best to leave them be, thread-locked in place. The bolt group is easy to remove for cleaning, and there are no strong recoil-springs that go flying around! You simply undo 3 screws (stock, trigger-group, and recoil buffer ones), and then it slides out with the trigger-group. It is very clever how it is all in one unit (see pics), which allows it to be taken apart, cleaned, and put back together in virtually no time, without the need for an extra hand like some guns!

By the time I got to the firing point, the test rifle had been admired by just about everyone on the range, and there was a long queue of people wanting a go. I had prepared the gun for firing the night before, so we were ready for the first shot! I started off with Mini-Mag, as this was a recommended ammo, and it shot flawlessly from the word go! When you pull the trigger, the action is so smooth it is hard to tell if it has cycled or not, and there is zero muzzle flip. I am used to shooting a 10/22, but the GSG-5 is much smoother.

While shooting I had one failure to feed (looked to be magazine related) out of the first 300rds, and it failed to hold open on the last shot a couple of times. When the Mini-Mag was all gone, we moved onto Wolf Match Target (standard velocity ammo), which again shot flawlessly, with no jams until the gun started to get dirty at about 450rds, but then a quick spray of oil got it working again. On the reliability side, there are no complaints at all!

The magazine is easy to load without wrecking your thumbs, and has a nice tight fit into the receiver. The manufactures say it is a 22rd magazine, but it will work perfectly with 24 in. The release catch is a bit stiff, so may need loosening up in the future. The safety catch is ambidextrous, and easy/quick to use unless you have short stubby thumbs. The open sights are very good for quick target acquisition, and will easily hold a 1” group at 25m. You would probably be able to tighten this up a bit with an optic, however as we found out, these mount very high on the MP5 platform, so you would want some kind of cheek piece.

The trigger was the only slightly disappointing thing while shooting the GSG-5. It’s not too heavy at about 5.5-6lbs break, however it has a very long travel, and has been described as a bit spongy. Again this is not a major problem, as you can still double tap very quickly with the rifle, it is just something to work on.

There has been a lot of talk about cutting the barrel down to 12”. I would personally advise against this, since the stock is easily removable by taking out one screw, and (I haven’t tried this) but it looks like the rifle would function perfectly without a stock attached. Therefore the stock could be classed as removable, so not included in the overall length, which means you need the 16” barrel. I may be erring a bit on the cautious side here, and we won’t know for certain until there is a test case on it, but I’m sure no one wants all that hassle. Also if you want to attach a retractable, or folding stock, you need the 16” barrel.

In conclusion, the GSG-5 is a very nice, well made little gun, which is a pleasure to shoot, reliable and accurate. These are not target rifles, but more fun guns, ideal for Mini-rifle competitions, steel plate shoots, Bianchi etc. I have not done a comprehensive ammo test, but it seems it will shoot standard and high velocity ammo reliably, as long as you keep it clean, as with any semi-auto. A standard gun is good enough to win competitions out of the box, however there are improvements which could be made to the trigger. There is a wide range of accessories available, including different stocks, forends, mounts etc, and I predict they will sell well at the RRP of £429

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/tyga_photos/DSC00517.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/tyga_photos/DSC00512.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/tyga_photos/DSC00530.jpg

i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/tyga_photos/DSC00534.jpg
    Last edited by Tyga; 03-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Nice review and great pics! Just a couple of questions for you...

the fore grip feels like it is off a toy, (and most likely is, since the company originated from the airsoft market). The same goes for the plastic stock.
    As you have that nice M/Op MP5 to hand, have you been able to see its (genuine?) stock and fore-end will fit the .22LR clone?

as we found out, [optics] mount very high on the MP5 platform, so you would want some kind of cheek piece.
    Presumably you fitted the SUIT sight from the M/Op gun. This looks to have a particularly high sight line. Have you tried the same base with a conventional scope or reflex sight and rings?

That's it! Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Nice review and great pics! Just a couple of questions for you...

As you have that nice M/Op MP5 to hand, have you been able to see its (genuine?) stock and fore-end will fit the .22LR clone?

Presumably you fitted the SUIT sight from the M/Op gun. This looks to have a particularly high sight line. Have you tried the same base with a conventional scope or reflex sight and rings?

That's it! Thanks for posting this!
    I tried the genuine fore-end on the GSG-5, and it just about fitted, however there was a bit of play in it. Would definitely need some adjustments, but it could be done. As for the stock, the GSG-5 one isn't too bad, so i didn't see the need to change it, but apparently genuine ones don't fit. I'm looking forward to getting the retractable stock though.

Its a SUSAT i fitted to the GSG-5 yeah, and these do mount very high. As the accessories haven't arrived yet, the only mount i had was for a SUSAT (these are genuine H&K mounts), and since the SUSAT uses a STANAG rail, and not Picatinny, i couln't mount anything else on it! I'll let you know how it goes with a dot on ASAP

Thanks for the review, my only question is "where can I get one"??

Good review. And looks like great fun!

Can you get the full range of accessories such as the retractable stock, spare magazines etc etc? They have something similar in Switzerland, the Brugger and Thomet BT96, which is a single shot 9mm civilian version of the MP5. It costs about GBP 1400 and is great fun to shoot. I am toying with the idea of getting this or the Sig 552, which is a short barrelled version of the Sig 550. And they are semi auto, not straight pull!

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    Thanks for the review, my only question is "where can I get one"??
    sabre defence for £469
    here for a good time not a long time

Tyga,

thanks for the reply. I should have realised when I saw the SUSAT that the base would be a STANAG one. At least that means you'll probably be able to get a better head position with other mounts/optics.

I can see why the standard barrel is 16" but do you think there would be any point replacing the barrel with a shorter tube permanently fitted to a suppressor (to meet the legal OAL requirement) for use in the field?

I notice that in the US, where of course the rules are different, Gemtech are offering to supply GSG-5s with pre-suppressed barrels to save users having to apply for both SBR and suppressor permits (link), and I'd have thought something similar would broaden the appeal and utility of the gun for UK shooters.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 05-02-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks for the great review. There is also a review of the GSG-5 in this months (March) edition of shooting sports magazine. There seemed to be a problem using winchester ammo. This was put down to that the hammer spring might be weak in relation to the rim strength on the cartridge case. The rifle shot and cycled well when switching to Remington subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyga View Post
    Its a SUSAT i fitted to the GSG-5 yeah,
    Where did you get a SUSAT? I've honestly never seen one on the civilian market (except on a very small number of deacts or ex factory demo DPs).
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris St. MH View Post
    Where did you get a SUSAT? I've honestly never seen one on the civilian market (except on a very small number of deacts or ex factory demo DPs).
    Often on that auction site

Rich
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

Rich
    No wonder the army are running out of guns.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

Rich
    Be very wary of buying SUSAT's off that auction site, as most of these were stolen out the forces, and the Military police watch all the auctions, and have been known to prosecute buyers and sellers.

There are very few legally owned SUSAT's around, and we have a small batch of them. These current ones were bought out of Sussex police when they gave up their MP5's, and we are selling them in our shop, with the genuine MP5 mounts.

Picked up my Gsg 5 from Shield yesterday
    Very impressed with the build quality, much better than i expected.Only down side is no spare mags in the UK for a while.Great fun to shoot,loading up youtube clip later.
    Found a red dot with Mp5 mount on eb### for under £ 15, should be great for mini action rifle.... if i can get some mags !

Interesting they are half the price in the USA

No spare mags? Whats that all about? The market these are aimed at they should have a stock of mags

can anyone please tell me when the different stock options will be available,
    or is this something after market that can be bought ?
    cheers
    Barry
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"