Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vintage hunters

I was shooting my Webley Vulcan mk1 today,in my lunch break at work,i have had the gun from new 26+ years and i would still be happy to do a bit of hunting with it,it`s got a Optima moonlighter and wisper silencer on it,old school .
    Regards
    les

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Hi
    I think the bsa mercury is a great air rifle i have three at the moment,the one i use most is my 177 mercury challenger with a jap tasco 4x32 scope, i have spent a lot of time on this one and it shoots very smooth, one of the best things to change on the later models is the cocking lever do away with the factory one and make up a solid one useing the two front links from the original one. i have taken a lot of rabbits with this rifle i just love it.
    JJJJJJ
    my mercury is a mk3 is it possible to carry out this mod on it and if so what are the advantages dont suppose you could post a pic as i"m always on the look out for improvements to the old girl as i love shooting with it so much my son now uses my s400 he"d actually missed the said bunny before i took my shot oh and thanks gareth well happy to be part of your dictatorship
    S400 Carbine

Hi silent sniper
    I dont have any pics of the cocking lever but will try and get some done before the weekend and send to your email address.
    JJJJJJ

I used a FWB Sport 124 25 plus years ago and I still use one out of my office window for tree rats. My son has one too. Both with Optima scopes.

I still use a .22" Mercury MK3 bitsa with Kassner 4x40pa as my normal day to day gun.
    It's a bit of a dog but it gives 11.8ftlbs and more importantly it puts the pellets where I aim it.

I've never considered this gun to be a vintage hunter but I suppose it is when I think about it.
    Perhaps I should keep it in the house instead of on top of the Ferret pen in my workshop.

On second thoughts I'll leave it where it is in case I need it when I'm at work.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    This thread has been moderated, and a couple of posts off topic which contravene the gentlemanly nature of this section have been deleted. My decision, and mine alone ... This is not a democracy, and I will not have even the mildest of insults or unkind comments in Collector's Corner, not on my watch. This is an interesting thread so lets keep it going, and on topic.

Thank you: Gareth W-B.
    Point duly noted

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    my mercury is a mk3 is it possible to carry out this mod on it and if so what are the advantages dont suppose you could post a pic as i"m always on the look out for improvements to the old girl as i love shooting with it so much my son now uses my s400 he"d actually missed the said bunny before i took my shot oh and thanks gareth well happy to be part of your dictatorship
    Sorry silent, I didn't read your response but sorry if I caused any offence.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    oh and thanks gareth well happy to be part of your dictatorship
    ... You're welcome and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker24seven View Post
    Point duly noted .
    ... All friends again ... Good . Behind us now then, so forward we go. Cheers Gents : G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Hi silent sniper
    I dont have any pics of the cocking lever but will try and get some done before the weekend and send to your email address.
    JJJJJJ
    many thanks would like a little peak at it . And to slacker24seven no offence taken none meant . i also grew up around these older springers and don"t really think of them as vintage they are just proper airguns no sweet spot no running out of air just pick up and use and if a bit of tweaking is needed to keep them up to date it just adds to the fun am even considering buttoning the piston at a later date will have to run it over the chrono first as i think i"m getting a bit close to the top.keep the reply"s coming am enjoying this one
    S400 Carbine

took the mercury out again last night i was shoothing around farm buildings and through a hole in the fence i spotted a couple of bunny"s happily munching away, the shed was keeping the wind off and i had a very comfy position to shoot from with a rest on the fence so i dropped the closest one with a head shot never even twitched. when i went round to retrieve the said rabbit i thought i would measure the distance from corpse to hole in fence it was 35 meters . i was well over the moon until i cocked the gun and the cocking lever snapped.So if anyone has a spare please drop me an e mail as i cant wait to take it out again might have to get the s400 back off my son for the time being
    S400 Carbine