Thread: Muzzle Loading Shotguns

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Muzzle Loading Shotguns

Has any one had any experience with ML percussion shotguns? I've got the chance of one and was wondering about loads before I jump in.

Ta
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I shoot ML clays once a month, I can tell you how to break them if that's any use

Better results

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    I shoot ML clays once a month, I can tell you how to break them if that's any use
    I get better results by waiting until they land then running over and breaking them with the butt.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

How to breal ML clays...

Gun choice. Minimum calibre is 16g, 12g or 13g is best, 10g is slightly OTT. Get a bore light and check bore condition, when damascene rots you lose little bits of the spiral inside, easy to see, you don't want too many of them. Check the ribs haven't come unsolderd at either end. Make sure the engraving is good on the lock, has someone sanded off lots of rust at some point. Double is best. If the niples have been hammered flat the inside face of the cocks will be dented and you may get ignition problems.

Powder choice. Crummy powder will foul the flash channel and make your hands filthy. I'd suggest TS2, TPPH or the Swiss #4.

Shot. #8 is best, #7 is okay, haven't tried #9.

Wad choice. You don't actually need a wad for breaking clays, an over shot card in place of the wad works. OTOH the wad is a way to get a bit of lubrication in to the bore and keep it clean. Especially if you bought crummy powder. I favour Krank's lubed felt wads, if you cut them in half theu last twice as long. Get an airtight pot to store them in so they don't dry out.

Over shot cards. Get the right size, I use Kranks. You can miss out the card when shooting rising teal.

Loading: Blow down the barrels and make sure smoke from the previous shots comes out the nipples. If it doesn't, clean the nipple. Carrry a nipple key, a selection of wires, the little brushes dentists sell for cleaning between teeth are great. Add powder, if you always load left then right you won't forget where you are. Add wads then ram, Make sure it goes all the way down, don't get stopped by a fouling ring, don't bash it down. Add shot, put in the card sideways then turn it when it's inside. Should squeak on the way down. More powder opens the pattern, more shot closes it.

Shooting it. Only one tip here, take advice. Took my son and his girl friend clay shooting once, she listened to advice, he knew it all. By days end she was outshooting him.

Cleaning it: Remove the barrel(s), remove the nipples, get a lambswool mop on a solid rod, avoid the screw together type rod like the plague. Put the nipple end in warm water, flash channels pointing down, add a drop of Fairy liquid to the muzzle end and pump. Black gunge will come out the top and try to run down your sleeve, you have been warned. Scrub around the nipple end with a nylon brush til clean. Dry, compressed air is easiest. Squirt Ambersil 40 down the muzzle and outside. Apply anti-seize to the nipples and replace. Wipe any gunge off cocks and locks with a damp cloth, dig any bits of cap out of the cocks.

Thanks

How to breal ML clays...

Gun choice. Minimum calibre is 16g, 12g or 13g is best, 10g is slightly OTT. Get a bore light and check bore condition, when damascene rots you lose little bits of the spiral inside, easy to see, you don't want too many of them. Check the ribs haven't come unsolderd at either end. Make sure the engraving is good on the lock, has someone sanded off lots of rust at some point. Double is best. If the niples have been hammered flat the inside face of the cocks will be dented and you may get ignition problems.

Powder choice. Crummy powder will foul the flash channel and make your hands filthy. I'd suggest TS2, TPPH or the Swiss #4.

Shot. #8 is best, #7 is okay, haven't tried #9.

Wad choice. You don't actually need a wad for breaking clays, an over shot card in place of the wad works. OTOH the wad is a way to get a bit of lubrication in to the bore and keep it clean. Especially if you bought crummy powder. I favour Krank's lubed felt wads, if you cut them in half theu last twice as long. Get an airtight pot to store them in so they don't dry out.

Over shot cards. Get the right size, I use Kranks. You can miss out the card when shooting rising teal.

Loading: Blow down the barrels and make sure smoke from the previous shots comes out the nipples. If it doesn't, clean the nipple. Carrry a nipple key, a selection of wires, the little brushes dentists sell for cleaning between teeth are great. Add powder, if you always load left then right you won't forget where you are. Add wads then ram, Make sure it goes all the way down, don't get stopped by a fouling ring, don't bash it down. Add shot, put in the card sideways then turn it when it's inside. Should squeak on the way down. More powder opens the pattern, more shot closes it.

Shooting it. Only one tip here, take advice. Took my son and his girl friend clay shooting once, she listened to advice, he knew it all. By days end she was outshooting him.

Cleaning it: Remove the barrel(s), remove the nipples, get a lambswool mop on a solid rod, avoid the screw together type rod like the plague. Put the nipple end in warm water, flash channels pointing down, add a drop of Fairy liquid to the muzzle end and pump. Black gunge will come out the top and try to run down your sleeve, you have been warned. Scrub around the nipple end with a nylon brush til clean. Dry, compressed air is easiest. Squirt Ambersil 40 down the muzzle and outside. Apply anti-seize to the nipples and replace. Wipe any gunge off cocks and locks with a damp cloth, dig any bits of cap out of the cocks.
    I should have mentioned that it's a modern, single barrelled replica (unfortunately) but hte advice above gives me a good starting point.

The Bosun's Watch

Found this at the back of the BP section here on the bbs

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/starr.html

Very informative

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I know that in the UK you can buy a rifled antique pistol or rifle without a FAC, but you need to put it on FAC if you want to shoot it.

Does a similar rule hold true for antique smoothbores? do you need to put an antique muzzleloading shotgun on SGC if you intend to hunt or bust clays with it?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I know that in the UK you can buy a rifled antique pistol or rifle without a FAC, but you need to put it on FAC if you want to shoot it.

Does a similar rule hold true for antique smoothbores? do you need to put an antique muzzleloading shotgun on SGC if you intend to hunt or bust clays with it?

Jim
    Not sure about that one Jim.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Not sure about that one Jim.

Unfortunatley Yes, hang it on a wall, fine to own, want to shoot it put on a shot gun certificate.

Crazy UK laws once again

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post

Yes, but there are ways around it. Do we really want to list them again, might give those goons in Westminster ideas

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    I should have mentioned that it's a modern, single barrelled replica (unfortunately)
    I think those are given away for free if you collect enough tokens from the cornflakes packet. If you haggle he might even pay you to take it away

Cheeky git

I think those are given away for free if you collect enough tokens from the cornflakes packet. If you haggle he might even pay you to take it away

Being a poor, poverty struck owd pensioner, I can't afford owt else.

Anyway, you're wrong. It's Walkers crisps that are giving them away.

The Bosun's Watch

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I have owned a few ML shotguns, my first was a Pedersoli double. It shot okay but was very light & had an annoying fault in that its nipples pointed outwards slightly, upon firing this caused a blow by of hot gas down the side of the action which often caught ones wrist leading to hot freckles!
    It was replaced by a Navy arms double 12 which is far better made & heavier.
    I use a fibreglass ramrod & it will happily use tungsten or bismuth shot for wildfowling. Whatever gun you use remember it is vital to pattern it as different loads give markedly different results. I got a selection of different wads from Ian Charlton of clay & game reloaders and spent several days finding good loads.