Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euroarms new model army

Euroarms new model army

Finally getting the thing to group after a fashion.
    Load was 18 gr 777 3Fg. Over powder card, deep lubed wad, home cast .453 round ball.
    Shot at 25 yards foresight rested on the bottom of the black, bit more experimenting to do yet, fixed sight spirit of the original model seems to group well if I do my part

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/t...m/BPpistol.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scimmy View Post
    Load was 18 gr 777 3Fg. Over powder card, deep lubed wad, home cast .453 round ball.
    Shot at 25 yards foresight rested on the bottom of the black, bit more experimenting to do yet, fixed sight spirit of the original model seems to group well if I do my part

In almost 45 years of shooting BP handguns I have never heard of anybody using an over-powder card in a revolver. The wad, for those who use it, is enough for everybody I know.

Is this something that you have been told to do?

Also, please note that the recommended load for a modern .44cal BP revolver, according to all the handbooks, reference books and propellant-makers' advice, is something between 24 and 30gr of 3Fgr or 80% of that load for the propellant that YOU are using, so your particular load is a little on the light side. Still, if you think it works for you, go for it.

Also, please try something for me. Hold the pistol in the shooting hand, and cock the hammer with the thumb of the other hand, rather than with the thumb of the hand holding the pistol. You'll be truly amazed at the difference it makes to your accuracy - you are not changing the grip every time you fire.

But hey, ignore me, what do I know, eh?

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 02-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Cheers old timer

I'll try the other hand cocking technique next time tac and see how it goes.
    Recoil and report were 'tame' so may bring it up to the low 20 grn mark and again see how it goes. Give the ball a bit more oommphff!
    I use the over powder card as another form of flash barrier, which is a good tight fit to the cylinder bore, this way I don't have to slop any extra grease or unctions over the already lubed balls, let alone the revolver frame and side screens when it goes off!
    The 777 is such a clean burn compared to the black it seems a shame to make a mess of everything, especially when a hot water clean up is all that is needed at the end of the day.
    The over powder cards only take a few minutes to punch out a hundred or more, just a switch of materials for the same punch.

Cheers
    Last edited by Scimmy; 02-05-2009 at 05:29 PM.

...over the already lubed balls...Cheers

Do tell an old-timer about these 'already lubed balls' - never heerd o'them neither.

tac

Cor blimey!!, open those lug 'oles pops and get with it daddy o!
    You gotta move with the times grandpa, this is the new old way.
    Anyone would think these things have been around since before Victoria moved to the Isle of Wight.
    I'm tellin ya, get hip, lube those balls and make heavy with the powder card.
    Powder wad and ball, that's so old school!!!

I would never ignore you, don't know you, never met you but always treat the older generation (farts) with respect. Sometimes, just sometimes there is a real pearl of wisdom to be gleaned from amongst the opinionated ramblings from yester year.
    ATB John
    Last edited by Scimmy; 02-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Ah, right.

I've been loading it all wrong then, is what you are saying.

That's me and a few million others, that is.

Shux, and we all thort we was doing soooooooooooooo well.

Guest day today, and a few of us us shooting our C & B revolvers - powder, ball, grease, cap - boom.

So what you're saying is - Powder , card wad, felt wad, ball, sealer, cap and boom?

I'll tell the N-SSA, with their 1.25 million members, that they have to change right now, or suffer the consequences of being thought old-fashioned.

Hold on, though, I thort the idea was to BE old-fashioned?

Huh, got it wrong again.

tac

tac,

I don't get that impression from him at all. Perhaps you're just a little over sensitive at his "tongue-in-cheek" reply.

It all works differently for different people. For me, 777, wonder wad and ball. Simple as that.

Blackpowder too problematic with availability and storage, Pyrodex I've found more corrosive and dirty than black and more difficult to clean. The depth of ball in the chamber makes no difference and grease on the front of the chamber is an inconvenient mess.....

All gained from experience of what suits me best. No right or wrong way....... unless you're talking about smokeless powder in an unmodified cylinder!

Thank you both, Simon and tac.

Not wrong tac, only differant

Only a bit of fun, works for me what I do.
    tac I bow to your wealth of experiance gained over more years than I've been on the planet, however stop being an abrasive old 'fart' ( in the nicest possible way) and please offer your advice in a mentoring capacity as befits a chap of your 'sage' status.

Best regards John

greenshoots Guest
    Also, please try something for me. Hold the pistol in the shooting hand, and cock the hammer with the thumb of the other hand, rather than with the thumb of the hand holding the pistol. You'll be truly amazed at the difference it makes to your accuracy - you are not changing the grip every time you fire.
    interesting cock my pistol on the up stroke just before i aim so on point of aim no change of grip one fluid movement or am i missing somthing here excuse the pun....

viv

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Sounds like you're increasing the risk of an accidental discharge.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

greenshoots Guest
    always finger off the trigger till i ready to fire jim... and god forbid iff i ever had a accidental discharge it would go downrange

viv

Let's just clear the air here, boys, so's you don't get me all wronged up.

1. Emoticons don't work on my PC - it's Japanese and the OS is totally different - all you'd see is a little square box.

2. This means that you can't see me laffing/snegroing/cackling/tongue-in-cheeking.

3. Bleeve me, I'm not being serious, in fact you can load your gun with pie crust and peas for all I care - it's just that adding another 'layer' to the load seems pretty pointless to me, but please, go ahead and do what YOU want. After all, the hundred million BP shooters before you just have to be wrong in the light of this new-found wisdom, right?

4......and to the guy who is a ND waiting to happen, go for it, pal, I just hope I'm nowhere near when you put one in the bench in front of you. Your 'one fluid motion' method could pretty quickly turn your shooting style from gunslinger into that of a man with less toes than he started out with, if you are not careful. Still, the chances are that it would only be your toes, eh?

Take care, and shoot safe, no matter how you do it.

tac

greenshoots Guest
    4......and to the guy who is a ND waiting to happen, go for it, pal, I just hope I'm nowhere near when you put one in the bench in front of you. Your 'one fluid motion' method could pretty quickly turn your shooting style from gunslinger into that of a man with less toes than he started out with, if you are not careful. Still, the chances are that it would only be your toes, eh?
    thank you tac i will take your comments onboard in the spirit they were meant....
    viv

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    always finger off the trigger till i ready to fire jim... and god forbid iff i ever had a accidental discharge it would go downrange

viv
    That makes me feel a lot better.

Cheers,

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Well done Scimmy, Thats pretty good shooting if your still getting used to a new gun. Im still playing with the rugers loads and after about 8/9 sessions am now getting the same sort of scores as you on the same target you are using at 25yds. Practice, loads of practice. Tim