Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW60J

Thumbs up Weihrauch HW60J

Had a free slot on my ticket so bought myself a second hand Weihrauch HW60J in .22lr this morning (didn't fancy the Browning T-Bolt on offer) and have just spent an afternoon at the range. Put on a Hawke 3-9x50 I had in the drawer, zeroed in at 80yards with the bipod pinched from my .17hmr for the time being. Lovely gun, lovely trigger, very accurate with Eley subs and comfortable to shoot. Finish on the stock is a bit crap though - strip and tru-oil I think. It's the first one I've seen second-hand in a good while .. I think I know why - this rifle is a definite keeper. Bit heavy but that's no big thing.

Ended up putting over 150 rounds through it, one of which went through the world's stupidest jackdaw - he landed next to the target board on the backstop after I'd just spent 40 minutes trying (mostly successfully) to knock the inner rings out of the target.

Thought about getting a decent mil-dot scope to help guage the rise/drop, but I think I'll keep the Hawke on there. Cheap scope, but works well enough. Don't have a slot for a mod at the moment but might persue this, get a variation and use as a 2nd/alternative gun (to my .17hmr) for bunnies. I actually bought it primarily for target shooting.

Does anyone out there have a schematic or manual for the HW60J? I did the usual Google searches and had a good scour of the Weihrauch website to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

i have one,i bought a new 22lr 60j a few months ago. i `ll try to photocopy it and post it to you.

send an email to weihrauch and they will send you one for free.
    google weihrauch that will get you thier homepage with the email address.

My mistake .. it's probably a HW60 not the 60J ... not sure what the difference is? The stock looks to be beech rather than walnut under the horrible varnish, but the bluing is immaculate bar one small scratch on the barrel. Had a strip down session last night and had a proper look inside. There's no model number on the rifle anywhere, just the serial number, proof marks & calibre, and manufacturer details. I have to say they are a seriously over engineered bit of kit .. can't see it breaking down in a hurry.

I've emailed Weihrauch, don't know what their customer service is like? First time Weihrauch owner here. I think I'll try to source a rear open sight for it for target comps from them too .. previous owner removed it (for clearance for the scope?) and it wasn't with the gun. Chambers don't have it listed as available from them. I was a bit about the price of a spare mag from Chambers .. £50!! I suppose you get what you pay for.

Planning some more shooting with it today, I suspect I'll be going through more than a few boxes of ammo in the coming weeks.

Any info/scans/photocopies gratefully accepted!! Thanks guys!

the hw60j has a hogs back stock and a sporter fore end and barrel.j stands for jaeger which means hunter.
    the other version is the hw66 it has a target style stock and a shorter heavier barrel,both use the same action.
    wiehrauch are very good even if you did not have the gun from new, they will look after you just the same ,you will get your manual,but its not a very good one.
    hull cartridge are the importers but allthugh friendly they are a bit on the slow side.

After some Google activity it seems it is a HW60J - I think the J refers to the stock shape (Cornishman beat me to this one!);

"The European walnut stock is mated to an excellent-quality mechanism, and the stock has a type of stock known as a Jagdbusche stock"

And this ...

"Dating from early 1960s, the HW-60 Series is still in production, and is chambered for both rimfire and centerfire rounds. Rimfire versions are the most common types of these rifles, however. The base form of the HW-60, the HW-60J, was designed for sporting purposes, light competition, and varmint hunting."

Another site explained the date codes for German firearms;

"The date coding system is very simple too. It gets tricky when you start talking about non-proofed products like firearm magazines, but the general rule is thus:"

A = 0
    B = 1
    C = 2
    D = 3
    E = 4
    F = 5
    G = 6
    H = 7
    I = 8
    K = 9

Mine's IG which makes it '86' as in 1986.

Fascinating what you can find out online .. time to go shooting I think.
    Last edited by LeeH; 03-05-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: additional info
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

Hw60j

Lee

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for a second hand HW60J?

Cheers Karl.
    Daystate X2 .177 Bushnel Legend 5-15x40
    HW25 .177 For my little Lad

No problem, I paid £320 which I appreciate was probably over the odds for a 23 year old gun, however the shop is keeping a new-ish proofed Parker Hale Mod in the cupboard as part of the sale (so no charge when I pick it up) for when I get the variation done. Also the bore is in excellent condition, there's almost no wear marks on the bolt = not much use, and it's exactly what I was looking for. A few minor cosmetic issues are neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. They are getting on for £600 new.

As I said earlier I haven't seen one second-hand for a while, so I assume they're sought after or those who buy them, keep them. I'll certainly be keeping hold of this one
    Last edited by LeeH; 03-05-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Hw60j

I don't think that was a bad price at all mate. I have just put a deposit on the same gun for £29 more than you paid. As the one I have had was the only second hand one I have seen for sale in .22LR its was hard to tell if it was well priced.

I was looking for a Sako finnfire (Rocking horse ########) but read on here somewhere the HW60J was a very close second.

I was thinking of removing the front sight and fitting a Wildcat Whisper MOD. Any thoughts as to wether this would be worth while over the SAK mod it comes with?

ATB
    Karl.
    Daystate X2 .177 Bushnel Legend 5-15x40
    HW25 .177 For my little Lad

i got a spare mag the time i bought my gun. it came from hull cartridge.i was charged £35 for it. i think the gun is base on the anshutz 64 action. they have an incredible trigger and should last forever.i paid a little extra for a shortened barrel. mine was £560 with a spare mag
    http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...M1352Small.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wrarapid View Post
    i got a spare mag the time i bought my gun. it came from hull cartridge.i was charged £35 for it. i think the gun is base on the anshutz 64 action. they have an incredible trigger and should last forever.i paid a little extra for a shortened barrel. mine was £560 with a spare mag
    http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...M1352Small.jpg
    the hw60,66 are all made by krico, i have a krico 22lr and hw60 hmr and they are the same action.
    if you look up krico on google you will see what i mean.
    super accurate rifles in all calibres.

yeah u know krico make them but are they not a copy of the annie 64 action??

Quote Originally Posted by wrarapid View Post
    yeah u know krico make them but are they not a copy of the annie 64 action??
    i have no idea on that one mate.

More shooting today, this time not at the range but down on the farm, very happy again. Gusty winds from the side, but a bit of compensation and pretty much bang on target at 100 yards.

Tried a mate's Sak mod on it with subs today and HW60 was very quiet. I don't know how much quieter it could be with another mod ... pin hitting the cartridge was louder than what came out the business end. Bit of a soft 'clump' sound and that was it. Come the time I'll be putting a SAK on ... Wildcat look to be a stunning bit of kit, but I'd ask myself the question are they really 3 times better for 3 times the price? I'm pretty new to such things but it's no contest as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's because I'm just a cheap bas***d. All makes the gun a bit long though but I have to say that 30 yards in front of the gun I can't imagine you'd hear much although I'm not suggesting trying it out in the style of William Tell

Good to know I appear to have paid the going price too. Saw a couple in 17hmr when I was shopping for my hmr and sort of wish I'd have spent a little more than I paid for a new CZ452. Last saw one in .22 many months ago, and that was stacks more money.

Just looked up the Krico 301 ... I see what you mean. Does that mean a mag for the Krico would fit the HW?

you can get mags from chambers gunmakers, sak is all you need i reckon on any 22,have you tried rws subs it will love them.