Thread: Question re. Gamo Compact

Question re. Gamo Compact

Hi all, I had the pleasure of shooting today at the Lord Robert's centre in Bisley on their electronic 10m range. Using my Gamo Compact in a 40 shot match I scored a respectable 344.

My question is this, is there a gunsmith that can reduce the weight of pull of the trigger. It's really heavy at the moment and if I can adjust it I believe it will add a good 20+ points on my score all by itself.

Phil
    Last edited by Phil73805; 11-05-2009 at 11:04 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi Phil

Theres lots of info on here re. this subject, just have a search...
    most of it is based around this article - http://www.postcardfromspain.com/tri...mo_compact.htm

its pretty easy to make a big difference yourself just by smoothing & polishing the sear faces and by just making a new, longer adjustment
    screw.
    all with just basic hand tools.

Thanks Harvey, that's a great link but I never mess about with trigger mechanisms. I wondered whether it could be made adjustable by a gunsmith but it would seem from that article that it isn't really possible. I'm going to have to start saving to buy an Alfa Proj or suchlike and in the meanwhile put up with the heavy trigger on the gun.

Thanks again for your help

Phil

Hi Phil,

It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.
    All you do is take out the adjusting screw behind the trigger, because it doesn't do anything anyway as it's not long enough.
    And replace it with an old light socket screw.
    The light socket screw will need cutting down, but screw it in first to figure out how much to take off.
    First cock the pistol, then screw the screw in until it fires on it's own, then back the screw off by a quarter to half a turn.
    Measure how much the screw sticks out and cut that off the end.

Give it a go, it made a big difference to mine.

Simon.
    Theoben MFR CS800 .177/Burris Timberline, Theoben Evo .177/ Burris Timberline, BSA Supersport .25, Haenel XX, BSA Ultra .177/ Burris Timberline.

Honestly, smoothing the sears is not hard, and if you take of the grips you'll see the sears are made from laminated steel pieces and rough as a badgers arris...and this is 90% of why the trigger pull is so hard.
    All you have to do is dress them flat (without changing the angles) and polish with a bit of wet & dry, smear of grease, reassamble and roberts yer mothers brother
    or if you really don't want to do it yourself, I don't think a gunsmith would charge more than a ½ hours labour....

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    All you have to do is dress them flat (without changing the angles) and polish with a bit of wet & dry, smear of grease, reassamble and roberts yer mothers brother
    What do you mean by dress them flat? How on earth would I change angles?

Phil

What I mean by 'dress them flat' is where the pieces are laminated together has left an uneven surface, smooth them off with a fine file, but make sure you hold the file at the same angle as the face you are filing and file gently.
    let the tool do the work and if you're doing ok it will start to smooth off all over (i.e. not all in one spot)
    Its not hard and if you're unfamiliar with a file, practice first on a piece of scrap metal....If this still seems a bit technical, its probably best left to a gunsmith

I usd the old screw but follkowed the advice on the website and used a drill bit to shave a little bit from the bottom of the screw hole, all done from outside so no dismantling involved. Only required a small amount gently taken out by rotaing the drill in my fingers. The trigger can now be "hair" if needed.
    Very easy.
    cheers
    G
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

Harvey, I just sat down to do as you have suggested and using the micromesh system I use for fine scale modelling I smoothed off the sear faces with progressively finer pads, greased the rods around which the sears rotate and put a dab of grease (more like a dot) where the two sears engage when the gun is cocked. I then tested to make sure that impact to the trigger system (such as if the gun was dropped) did not set off the gun accidentally. It didn't.

The trigger is now as smooth as you could possibly hope for, in fact I am concerned that it may be too light and therefore not within the rules for trigger weight for 10m Air pistol. The difference this bit of polishing has made is nothing short of amazing, thanks Harvey and to all who chimed in with advice. I can't wait to get down to Bisley to try it out on the range.

Phil