Thread: Webley Ranger breech seal help.

Webley Ranger breech seal help.

Hello! I've had a wee Webley Ranger rifle for some time and ordered a breech seal from Chambers which arrived yesterday. It presses into the recess but the rifle doesn't close tightly now. I suppose I have to remove some material from the front end of the seal. Whats the best way of doing this? I was thinking about cutting it a wee bit but I reckon I'll probably ruin it. Could I rub it away with sandpaper or the like. Or should it fit perfectly without any help from me. I'm not very clever at replacing parts! Cheers....Gino
    Webley Senior .22 Boxed batch no 007
    Webley Junior .177 extended grip fixed rearsight model
    Bsa Airsporter Mark IV 1969-71 no GI 14283
    Webley Victor

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

webley ranger breech washer

You dont say if its a leather one or the black rubber one? If its leather it would need soaking in oil (I tend to use almond oil as its thin). assume its a rubber one so Id try this. On all the webley rifles and pistols I find it easier to remove the barrel or the cocking arm so the barrel can be dropped down to give you room to work. Hook the washer out with a small screwdriver etc, taking care not to damage it. Then have a look in the recess in the cylinder and see if there is any crap in the hole as people use sealant,glue etc to get these to go in. If there is anything in then clean it out. Grease up your rubber seal and (with radiused side to the barrel,flat side to the cylinder) angle the bottom of the seal to the bottom of the hole. With the barrel down as described you shoud be able to hold the seal in with finger of one hand and with the flat of a small screwdriver push the sides of the seal to feed more and more of it in. Its easier if you do both sides and finish at the top. Once you have it in I would use the flat of a larger screwdriver or small piece of wood etc to then tap the face off the washer to push it back into the hole in the cylinder. That should do it. If not then do it again having sanded or trimmed a tiny bit from flat side of washer. Re fit barrel or cocking arm!

Thanks

So the front of the seal should be flush with the edge of the recess? it's a rubber seal. I've got it fitted a bit better now. Just need to know if it should be flush with the metal. What a Dunce I am!
    Webley Victor

Wherever possible I would aim for the seal to be just proud of the face so as to give a good seal. It will compress a little to get the good seal.
    I tend to make my own seals now from tap washers or similar material, using cork borers or wad punches.
    For a deep seal (thicker than washers) I look for some rubber tubing that would fit .. sometimes I am lucky.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks.

Thanks Guys....got it done pretty good now..am well impressed with this wee rifle!
    Webley Victor

A Ranger was the first air rifle I ever bought; I was 14 - I've got my bus pass now.....
    Still got the rifle; had it serviced by Baz a couple of years ago and it's still going strong - or as strong as it ever was!