Thread: Diana model 50 .......fun and games!

edbear2 Guest

Diana model 50 .......fun and games!

Started the stripdown of my latest project yesterday...have found no serial numbers except a "156" stamped on the cocking lever pivot boss on the air cylinder.......as I removed the tap, I realised that it was tapered as on the prewar and early airsporter BSA models, and the tap was stamped "156" on the end.........so obviously hand fitted and matched...this may explain why the thing was totally airtight, ie. cock, open tap and pull trigger...then shut tap to get a rush of air as the piston completed its stroke.

Nearly had a drama in that the end cap WOULD NOT move.....I left it for 24 hours in a dye penetrant solution which normally will work its way through a microscopic crack in 1" thick aluminium in 5 mins........nothing, so then heat, tap with nylon hammer.the same....So as a last resort, I thought I would remove both pins, with the action secure between two padded blocks, and let the spring preload do it for me.......nothing........left it for 2 hours to have a think, and on returning it had moved about half a mil...so a bit more heat, gentle taps and its apart...Its a real shame that someone has let this get so rusty, as it looks almost unused inside.all original piston finish, not a mark in sight......oh well.......start fettling later, and this one will go to Colin at MAG as it deserves a treat after the neglect it has suffered

keep us posted please eddie

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/