Thread: Metal Targets,Spinning Targets etc,etc.

Metal Targets,Spinning Targets etc,etc.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions on making your own metal style targets.

In a gun shop the other week and they wanted £17.99 for a metal spike that pushes into the ground with a spring welded on, and a small bit of metal on the top.

I'm going to make one of those myself, if anyone has got any other ideas, please put them up.

CHEERS
    MILO

Old ,used shotgun cartridges at 50yrds + make a challenging target, but remember to use a safe backstop.
    The better you get the more you can hit them and the farther away they go when you shoot them.
    Try with a friend its even better.

Milo, if you're taking part in the SWEFTA WAFTA challenge in September, talk to me on the day about the knock down targets we are making for ourselves that don't infringe any patents and are well cheap compared.

Rich

Get a chunky bit of wood. Drill some holes in which will allow the neck of a Co2 capsule be inserted loosley and you have a reasonable target. Don't drill too deeply though.

A clothes peg laid flat with a milk bottle top sitting just in the jaws of the peg is another cheapo target.

A knockover target can be made easily if you can get hold of a bit of plate steel and using a door hinge that is stiff screwd down to a block of wood.

All the above react well to a direct hit.

...also in one of mags - can't remember which one but will have a look - someone made some spinners out of some spoons.

.which I have just found. It was Dave Tucker in Jan 2003 A/Gunner. Basically he drilled holes throught the shaft ends of three spoons. ( The end of the shafts you have to bend around with pliers ). Then he used a cut up drinking straw between the spoons to act as a spacer. Through this he inserted a wire coat hanger - unwound obviously - and each end of this was fed into a drilled hole on a large breeze block. As a backstop a paving slab was used.

HTH
    Stan.
    Last edited by AirgunStan; 13-08-2004 at 11:24 PM.

Originally posted by two screws
    Old ,used shotgun cartridges at 50yrds + make a challenging target, but remember to use a safe backstop.
    The better you get the more you can hit them and the farther away they go when you shoot them.
    Try with a friend its even better.
    New unused cartridges are more fun. Keep em' at 50 + though and take the shot out. Just to be safe.

Ray

bud Guest
    Shotgun cartridges can be V dangerous a friend of mine got hit between the eyes with the center piece of the cartridge end,the piece the firing pin hits,we found the case end, but the centre was missing.He was a lucky laddie,don't play with them

Thanks for those replies, keep them coming.

MILO

Originally posted by bud
    Shotgun cartridges can be V dangerous a friend of mine got hit between the eyes with the center piece of the cartridge end,the piece the firing pin hits,we found the case end, but the centre was missing.He was a lucky laddie,don't play with them
    How does that work then? are we talkin the primer flying back at you here?

Just curous - I've been known to use 12g blanks as "interesting" plinking targets before - also HILTI cartidges pushed into plywood

Dan

hey milo im in the prcess of making a spinning target, i just need some parts to be welded i will post you some pics when ive finished if you want?

Yeh, ok nice one.

MILO

figjam Guest

try this

put a twist in a tea spoon and drill a 2.5 mm hole in the end! repeat the process abot half dozen times, then straighten out metal coat hanger and place them on !

use gaffer tape either side of the spoon to stop them shifting about !!!!!!

have fun ! rgds
    kenny

Micky Spillane Guest
    You are up there with an old idea figjam but it's still a good one plenty of old teaspoons around the markets Make a row of them on stiff wire separated with tube, any kind of tube they'll spin better. otherwise follow figgies instructions.
    Targets WILL fall when hit
    All the usual.
    Micky Spillane