Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fwb sport

Fwb sport

I have an FWB Sport .22 action but .177 barrel. Works well.
    Is there a benefit from doing this or did someone just have a spare .177 barrel?
    I am told tuner Dave Welham carried out such a mod but cant find any info.
    Any ideas ? Thanks.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

I have an FWB Sport .22 action but .177 barrel. Works well.
    Is there a benefit from doing this or did someone just have a spare .177 barrel?
    I am told tuner Dave Welham carried out such a mod but cant find any info.
    Any ideas ? Thanks.
    Putting a .177 barrel on a std .22 action will result in a very under powered rifle mate, in the same way as fitting a .22 barrel to a .177 action, can result in a rifle running hot . If I were you, I'd get hold of the correct internals to suit a .177 (Sport 124), or a .22 barrel to return it to a proper .22 (Sport 127). Atb and hope this helps: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Normally yes.But not in this case -11ft llbs. Hence the Query.Must internals therefore be different?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Normally yes.But not in this case -11ft llbs. Hence the Query.Must internals therefore be different?
    ... Ahh, in that case I would think internals already changed . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Fwb

My gut instinct is that the only difference would be the spring rating for this marque unless someone knows different
    I dont think the seal, piston weight/stroke would be different but as above- I do stand to be corrected

Dave

[QUOTE=jonnyone;3559743]My gut instinct is that the only difference would be the spring rating for this marque unless someone knows different
    I dont think the seal, piston weight/stroke would be different but as above- I do stand to be corrected

i think your probably right and as the spring on these is about a yard long lobbing off a few coils would do the job and smooth the action a tad i think its only about 1 ft lb difference from 22 to 177
    S400 Carbine

Hi Ginger...

I'm sure Ferrets Bueller has the exact opposite FWB to you on the Sales section....124 action/ .22 barrel.

Maybe you two should get "together" & create two....proper Sports

Only joking....there seems to be a lot around with the "wrong" barrel fitted..my guess is thats how they left the factory...doesn't seem very Germanic though..they are normally very ordered...

Maybe it was a dixlesics worker who fitted the barrels...

Thanks chaps.I think Jonnyone and SS may well be right.
    It has been done on purpose .The stock is walnut and the action features high quality engraving. I think it is a custom model and Gareth B has linked it to Manchester Air guns and Don Blocksidge.Enquiries will continue!
    However is it a 124 or a 127 or a1274 or a 1247. Dont really care as it shoots well and was bought cheap.
    I didnt realise that it was so good until I replaced homemade foresight and fixed broken trigger blade. Thats not true I did have an idea.
    Will try and put photo on oneday.

I've seen at least two other Welham/Mastersport custom FWBs where the barrel calibre doesn't match the cylinder markings. The Sport cylinders are identical for both calibres so I suppose they just used whatever was to hand at the time.

I can't believe FWB would ever have let a mismatched cylinder/barrel combo leave the factory. That would be so unpatriotic that the worker who allowed it would have to be shot at dawn, I'd think.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

i also have a 22 cal 124 and a 177 cal 127 / one of my mates has a 22 cal 124 also i think that lots of airguns have their barrels changed during their lives but because the caliber is stamped on the action on FWBs
    it comes to light more often
    PS
    just bought a 124 today WITH a 177 barrel ( what a coincidence this thread turning up ) NOW I HAVE 6 SPORTS

Why didn't you change barrels Mally...

Hi Danny,
    maybe the FWB worker was a disalousioned ex BSA/Leyland worker who had defected to "the other side" during the Thatcher years...

God...this Broadside is going down well......

124s are rare. Maybe they could get the .177 barrels and worked out that if they sorted the spring ,homemade 124!

Hi Ginge...hope you dont mind me being...informal..?

I think the "internals" are the same...?

Sounds like you have a nice example there.....

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Why didn't you change barrels Mally...
    cos the 127 with a 177 barrel is a mastersport and i dont want to put a 22 barrel on that / apart from the fact that it would be well over the limit its lovely the way it is