Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bsa standard and bsa juvinile model

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    What a pair of beauties and the rifles are nice too!

The No21b Aperture sight is a real find as it has a choice of 3 different sized holes to spoil the discerning classic shooter. Other than these pics, the only other reference I have to this sight is a copy of a copy of an old catalogue.

Thank you for sharing these with us Eddie.

Kind regards,
    John

Hi John, hope your are keeping well..you should buy AGW..you have a doppelganger.....

How I have seen the pictures I can see what all the fuss is about

Nice guns, as everybody agrees the interesting aperture sight, on the early Standard, makes quite a difference.

The etching is interesting on these early 'Standards'. I have a nice early Standard, of a similar age to the gun shown, and it seems to me that the etching is a combination of rolled and etched. In otherwords instead of just being a surface marking, it goes quite deep into the metal of the stock, almost as if the acid has eaten into the metal in some way. This differs from later photo-etched cylinder details, which were very much a surface affair and easily wore of with handling/cleaning over time.Also the colouring of the letters is different than the later guns - being more orangybrown than Silverblue. I will see if I can find my gun out and post a few pics of that.

Lakey
    Last edited by Lakey; 21-05-2009 at 11:21 PM.

edbear2 Guest
    Thats nice mate!.......I thought I had left my welding goggles on again.....Green filter?.......never mind

Seriously though please.........I see yours has a 2 understruck on the triggerblock serial......does this denote .22, as mine has the same thing

And secondly......I saw a really tatty one of these at a fleamarket recently.....chewed to bits everywhere, but on looking at the piston (extra long type as these are......there was a bsa stamped patent on it......have never seen this before.....

Thanks for the piccys!!!.Ed

Hi Ed,

I think the extra long piston came in much later.I think that the long extention to the piston skirt came in, in the late 1920's or early 1930's and it co-incided with a new method of securing the piston washer by using a circular nut threading onto the end of the piston rod itself. That gave more power to the likes of the later CS ,T, and S prefix guns. I have a spare long skirt piston somewhere, so will try and post a picci to see if it is the same type as you remember.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Thats nice mate!.......I thought I had left my welding goggles on again.....Green filter?.......never mind

Seriously though please.........I see yours has a 2 understruck on the triggerblock serial......does this denote .22, as mine has the same thing

And secondly......I saw a really tatty one of these at a fleamarket recently.....chewed to bits everywhere, but on looking at the piston (extra long type as these are......there was a bsa stamped patent on it......have never seen this before.....

Hi,

What a beauty, wish I could find one like that !

The tiny number 2 under the under the serial number must be a caliber designation as the the .25 cals have a 3 stamped there.

Talking of little differences, I see there different types of steel buttplates used on the earlier rifles - one flat and the the other with a curve in it. I wonder if there is a definate change over point or if the stocking shop now and then used cartridge rifle production run ones.

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 20-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Really beautiful rifle Lakey. I love the way this model links the earlier Improved Model Ds to the post-WW2 Standards in an evolutionary sense. (Chants under breath: I must not be envious, I must not be envious, I must not....).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

Hi Ed,

I am not sure what the 2 under the serial number signifies. I know that the S prefix is due to the safety sear (that didn't ultimately work!) but the little 2 underneath is a bit of a puzzle????
    As for the lengthened pistons which came later, here is a comparison shot of a standard length piston taken from a pre WWI BSA 'The BSA Air Rifle' together witha much later long piston taken from a 1937 'T' Pattern.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...t/P1040634.jpg

And here is a picture of the "business end" of the longer piston showing the 'New' improved method of attaching the piston washer using a circular nut actually screwed onto the protruding end of the piston rod. The circular nut needs a peg spanner to undo it, as you can see by the two indentations in its surface. this is a totally different method of attchment to the central screw and brass washer - securing a main piston washer and an inner filler washer ; that went before. I think that guns with the later type piston always seem to shoot smother and more powerfully that the earlier guns.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...t/P1040635.jpg

As for the patent marks, I think they were present on the earlier long pistons (ie the 1930's 'CS' Club No 4's) but not on the later ones like the example shown.

Has anyone else got experience of these long piston models ? If so put your finding down here - This thread is turning into quite an interesting one....... Lets keep it going !

All the best

Lakey

edbear2 Guest
    Hi again Lakey, Have had a quick look under the two guns I have from this period with the bigger piston. I didnt think realise before, but although one came from a rural auction of barn equipment....(the CS), and the other from an email enquiry about something else.....they are actually quite close in age at numbers CS 27665 and S26693.........the .22 is the one I spent all that time polishing a while back, before deciding to antique finish it!

Anyway.....on both these, the disc with the peg holes has been replaced/modified with the same part, but having a fairly deep slot machined across the whole thing......these looked the same ages as the pistons when I did the rebuilds on both guns, So at some time in the past either these were made as a replacement for the drilled ones (I can imagine the drilled ones giving problems, due to "home" rebuilds using nails as punches etc.!)......by either the factory, or someone else.......or a really unlikely possibility, .....both guns were owned or rebuilt by someone years ago, who made new discs for both!.I suppose the only way to find out is if other owners have seen these slotted retaining discs.

Shooting wise....I agree 100% with your findings.....Its a hard thing to put into words, but you feel the gun "unwind" as that big lump of metal travels down the cylinder in a lazy sort of way.....you are totaly aware of the travel as the balance shifts........and also as you say, nothing lazy about the M.V. of the pellet when it exits the barrel

Both guns are settling down nicely, so I didnt want to pull the backs off, but have realised there is a piston in this photo of the .22, taken when almost ready for building (before I changed my mind)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7612687471706/

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elanmac View Post
    Hi edbear 2, can you tell me if there is any etching on the juvenille cylinder, if so is there any chance of a photo as I have Juvenille but the cylinder is unmarked. If I can find a good photo of the wording I will be able to re-etch mine.
    Thanks in anticipation, Mac
    Hi Mac, I cant find an email link for you on your profile......The juvenile is stamped in the same style as a 39" imp model D......and has was looks like a fixed 10 yard sight block, with a flip up blade marked 20. If you email me,I can send you a couple of photos..ed