Thread: Webley MK3 questions

Webley MK3 questions

Looks like mine has non-original stock screws (round on top instead of flat). Anyone has the original one's or knows where to look?

The front sight is a tad loose. Which way to tap to retighten? Or just use loctite?
    ATB,
    yana

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I think you will find that many Mk 3,s had stock screws with slightly rounded tops, all mine have them & none have been replaced.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi.normally sights are fitted from the right (as looking down the barrel as if you are aiming the gun).......and removed from the left........on all the mark three's I have worked on, the foresight is fixed on a bed of soft solder....maybe worth having a close look at yours, as it sounds like the sight has been replaced at some time in the past......if it is loose, you cant really tighten it by going sideways as it will shift the aim point!....a good way is to get a brass rod about 5mm in diameter (so as not to mark the blue) and a light hammer...and with the barrel supported at the end on a solid surface (with carpet tape etc. to protect underneath of barrel)........hit the barrel centrally either side (front and back) at the point where the sight base meets the barrel.......go easy.......one light tap each side will close the dovetail slightly, and then give you a sight which is able to stay put during zeroing...then as you suggest, use a penetrating bearing grade loctite (after spraycan isoclean or similar to clean joint)..OR if there is solder present, brush on a small amount of Bakers fluid or similar (liquid flux) and give it a quick pass with a propane torch until the joint "wets".......N.B..if you ever use loctite on REAR sights........strip them to a bare block.......and make 100% sure ALL excess is removed before reassembly...Otherwise....you will have SO much fun otherwise (and only do it once)
    Last edited by edbear2; 19-05-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Webley Mk.3 front stock screws - AR44 - have domed heads.

sights

Not sure if edbear 2 means this but if not, then the open sights should be removed from the same side as they were fitted (RHSide) to preserve the interference fit. ie. tap it from the LHS to remove

If removed from other side, this interference fit will be lost and the sight will become loose.
    A bed of solder as suggested or neatly staking the sight when in the correct position with a small diameter punch should hold it.Or peen the dovetail as described above
    ATBest
    John
    hold me back !!

Tap it from the left, sounds weird when I look at the play it has. It has sideways play to the left. When I push it back to the right, its centered again so you'd expect removal to the left since its already loose there..
    Theres also play on the blade of the rear sight. Is this sprungfit?(the blade)
    ATB,
    yana

edbear2 Guest
    http://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24535

Above is an explode picture..the "wheel" in the rearsight has a hollow base, and there should be a spring in there to keep it pushed against the base of the blade.......also should be a very small screw in the RHS of the sight to prevent overtravel...The reason your sight could be loose is because may have been removed from the wrong side in the past......this opens up the dovetail slightly in some cases (imagine looking from above, the left hand side is very slightly smaller.....so if hit from the right will act like a wedge) and will give the symptoms you have described.......or had a knock......If you want to send me a couple of closeup photos, I can host them for you, so that we can all have a look, and possibly see what the problem is more clearly..is it that bad (loose)that you can see light when you shine a torch from the side?..

I tried loctite first. Just degreased and put as much loctite in between as possible. Now the front sight is nearly completely tight. I'll do it again and that should be ok for now. Its not the rearsight itself thats loose, only the sightblade. Maybe the spring is missing.
    ATB,
    yana