Thread: Cillit Bang

Cillit Bang

My old 1860 Army died recently and has been packed off to the great scrap heap in the sky. So I brought a 1858 New Model Army in stainless steel to replace it. it was a bit grubby around the nipples so I decided to give it a clean, but nothing in my arsenal of gun cleaning products would make a dent in the burnt on grime until I tried Cillit Bang and now those Little stainless nipples and their pockets look almost brand new. I wouldn't try it on a blued gun but for stainless it was amazing. You've got to wonder whats in that stuff!!
    Real calibres start with a .4

I've started using my ultrasonic cleaner - (use it for my brass .303 and .308 usually) for cleaning my cylinder and nipples on my Remingon 58 stainless. Excellent results using white vinegar. For blued cylinder etc wouldn't try it though, however washing up liquid would be fine.

x1 cycle of 480 seconds - great results.

Try Maplins for a ultrasonic if interested I paid £19 for mine. I think it was a second so cheaper than normal errr all that was wrong with it was two of the rubber feet missing.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    I think it was a second so cheaper than normal errr all that was wrong with it was two of the rubber feet missing.
    Does that mean all the knobs have now fell off your kitchen units?

To be honest it was out of desperation that I used the Cillit Bang stuff. I’d been cleaning that cylinder for hours without much success. The previous owner hadn't clean the area around the nipples for what was obviously along time. With my stainless ROA I usually use hot water and washing up liquid with on problems but on the '58 NMA the stuff was thickly burnt on and would not move until I soaked it for 10mins it the afore mentioned stuff. I doubt that I’ll ever use it again but as a last ditch attempt to clean stubborn burnt on soot and grime it worked well even the inside of the cylinder came up clean.

Mark_T is offline I'm a Registered User, and I'm proud
    It's phosphoric acid. Can also be used as a rust killer and an etch primer on hot dip galvanizing

Cillit Bang.

Every home should have some. Just ask Barry Scott
    When you get upset, remember it takes 42 muscles to frown, and only 4 to reach out the hand of friendship and extend your middle finger.

I tried it as a bore cleaner, "Bang and the dirt was ...er still there"

greenshoots Guest
    might try it on my new snider barrel cleaned it twice allready but it still has stuff growing in it..

viv

greenshoots Guest
    I tried it as a bore cleaner, "Bang and the dirt was ...er still there
    and i can confirm the above findings......

viv

Well may be it was the combination of all the chemicals I used that day which included:-

Tetra Gun Action Blaster
    Napier Gun Cleaner and Lubricant
    Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
    Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber

Finished with a long soak in boiling water before the 10min soak in a dish of Cillit Bang

Who knows but it's nice and shiny now