Thread: Gas Or Spring, advice please.

digre Guest

Question Gas Or Spring, advice please.

I am a newbie to air rifling
    I recently bought a second hand BSA lightning 22, it was cheap so I am willing to spend a few bob on it.
    The problem I have is that it kicks like mule and is loud.
    I am not sure if the gun is under the 12lb limit, so intended buying a new spring. (£14)

The question is.......
    Is it really worth spending £50 on a gas ram on what is, to be honest, a garden plinking rifle, and once in a while hunter.
    Or would a gas ram change this el cheapo rifle into a reasonable and capable light weight bunny slugger.

Your advice would be appreciated

Digre

For what your doing with it keep with the spring.
    I must be the only guy in the country who hates the lightning, as you say they kick like mules arnt that silent, but given all that if you like them they are cheap and ive seen lads shoot them very well.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I hate them too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Darren Petts Guest
    Better off putting the £50 to it and getting a better gun if you must spend the money though for a plinker I'd keep the £50 and use it as is.

When i read the first reviews of them in magazines i just had to have one, well my mate bought one. After 10 shots or so with it i was laughing like a kid in a sweetshop, my mate thought i loved it... i was so glad he bought it and not me, i bought a hw90k instead.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Digre,

I would keep the rifle 'as is' for your intended use.

If you catch the 'airgun bug' in a bigger way you will most likely want to sell the lightning and upgrade anyway.

oh, welcome to the BBS by the way.

Regards,
    Steven

i also hate em

"hate" is a pretty strong word - I find it hard to hate any gun

Used to have a lightning myself, seemed very under powered and graunchy - stripdown revealed a snapped mainspring

I opted for a gasram which sweetened it up and sorted the consistency - as many on here have said though, if it's just for occasional plinking you might as well stick with a spring

Since sold the gun on and am pretty much PCP only for field work, although I do enjoy my springers from time to time..

ATB,

Dan

I also 'dislike' the Lightning. Better guns on offer for similar money IMO.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    OK, OK, "hate" is too strong.

They are simply cr@p. Harsh. Noisy. Hold sensitive. Too light.

I agree woth IJ, plently of better things to spend the same amount of money on
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

him bam Guest
    lightning is better for a beginner in the air gunning world, even though i have been airgunning for about a year now i will still look towards my trusty lightning for a quite hunting outing

different people like different things

so my advice would be to get a gas ram if the bsa lightning if your thing

Welcome to air gun shooting,digre, keep it as it is , if you get hooked like the rest of us on here you will px the lightning then put your £50 to it and go for something better.
    But for now enjoiy your new toy
    Good luck

We have a lightning and on reading your's and other posts there is obviously a like/dislike about it.

Our one is a .22, below 12 ft/lb and for a springer quite sweet to use.

Whith or whithout silencer it is not loud.

All springers are hold sesitive.

Could be some one has slamed a .177 spring in.

I know guys who have done a G/R conversion and swere by it.

Do a search.

On reading the posts, I/we like our one, a nice little springer that does all we want nicely.

I like it

Ray

PS Hi' welcome to the BBS

OK, a secondhand rifle is always a bit of a gamble. Now, I've never had a Lightning, but I've had a few Supersports.

Loud they are not, 'cos they've got a Volumetric silencer. If yours seems to really crack, thump, or kick, hard, then it needs looking at.

Short of any grinding noises when you cock it, boinging noises when you fire it, or plumes of smoke from the barrel, its probably worth sticking with it as is. Similarly, if you have to invite a mate round to help you pull the trigger, you may have a mechanical problem.

I have found my best (right-handed) Supersport hold to be:

Balance the rifle on the cupped palm of your left hand. Grasp the pistol grip lightly, and bring the gun in to your shoulder lightly. Pull it in firmly, if you like, and then back it off so it is gently touching. This gives the rifle room to move, while being balanced.

Above all, keep safe, and enjoy your shooting. When it comes down to it, only a good marksman will be able to show you how much better a superior rifle can perform.

bennyblanco Guest
    i would say a modded trigger would be the 1st thing to do (will transform the gun), £14 from bsa and 1/2 hour to fit. i did this for a friend and also put in a ram and i have to say that it shoots very sweetly for a sub £200 gun.
    a lot of the noise seems to be the twanging spring and now its much quieter, has a sharp, fast and consistant recoil and puts out some nice groups.
    when he sells it i'm going to have it as my only springer, thats how much i like it