Thread: 2 Springs

draftsmann Guest

2 Springs

Interesting idea on T R Robb's website: boingggg

some of the better quality early airguns were fitted with two springs
    Oh yes, and Relums too

Adrian

Boing

Some of the very early Relum's were fitted with 3 springs, must have looked like a load of curly spaghetti.

Mind you the sales and marketing people who named the rifle Tornado score a good 10 out of 10 for sheer optimism.

It's true that it's not a new idea, as a 1908 BSA I have sports a nice pair (ooh er missus).

Regards

Ben

the FWB 300s has 2 oppositly wound springs end to end with a plastic spacer/locator between them.

so its nothing new
    Regards
    Seggy

Load of cobblers that is - all you need is one 'Hox' spring. Buy me a pint an' i'll tell you about the time a mate of mine had a rabbit a two 'undred yards wiv a gun that ad one of them in it - and that shot was confirmed by another mate of mine that used to be in the SAS but they kicked him out 'cos 'e was just too hard see...

etc.

Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Yes, we've all heard that story,now shut up

I'm ever so sorry, POK.

... On second thoughts, no I'm not. Go and scratch your mom's @rse for her, you knob.

Bite me.

....absolutely goddamn right

Oh hell, that's really thrown me...

What does that actually mean? What are you propositioning?

Thanks Adrian for posting that reference.

What Terry says about springing, historically is sound. He is without doubt, an airgun enthusiast, and spends all of his day trying to improve on the airguns that have long been his mainstay.

A long time ago, Terry made me a pair of Delrin washers for my Vulcan, to my spec, to help stop spring twist. He phoned me to ask if I was sure about Delrin, and that if he did blah and blah, it might work better. I insisted on my design, which he sent me, and they worked very well. He also sent me "his" bits, and they worked a little bit better.

Terry is not the most social of people, as he likes to be producing rather than talking. If you talk to him straight, he will do his best for you, as long as you don't mention this BBS, in which he is consistently vilified, principally by people who have never dealt with him.

Quote: "If all the people on that BBS who have slagged me had actually done business with me, I'd be a lot better off."

I haven't thought it through yet, but the idea of a couple of cascaded springs makes a bit of sense. As a tuning thing, a variable rate could be a good thing.

I have a strange (to this BBS, perhaps) idea on spring rifles, though. I sold a Fenman, which had been my ultimate dream rifle for several years, because it turned out to be harsh, loud to the ear, and inaccurate in comparison to the BSA Supersport, with major trigger mods, and bits of spring guide and bearing mods, with which I replaced it, for less than half the cost. Really, my "dream" Fenman, nearly put me off springers for good.

It's all "one man's meat", really. I will certainly be talking to Terry next time I want anything special done with a springer.