Thread: BSA Improved model D

BSA Improved model D

I have seen one of the above for sale today and I am not sure about its originality or price .Can any one help? It is a 1908 model the bluing is very good but with a few minor rust spots beginning to appear. I am concerned that the stamping in the air chamber is not quite as crisp as I would have expected[no bruising or raising of the metal round the stamped letters] but the stamping in other areas appears more original.
    Is this normal? What price level would be a fair one? Sorry no pictures!
    Regards
    Daveh
    If you dont do it today, you might not be able to do it tomorrow!

edbear2 Guest
    Hi dave....what calibre, and is it a 39" or 45" model.........it sounds nice from your description, most you come across have zero or little blue, just a nice even brown or grey patina depending on usage/care.......Say its complete, working, no damage to wood etc.....£150 - £600+++!........I know thats a big difference......bottom price is for an average to reasonable 39".....then add a couple of hundred if its a nice, lots of finish .22......then if (you are SO lucky!!!!) that its a .25....the upper price and then some for a really crisp example.......if it has an aperture sight or tunnel foresight, these also bump it up.......really need pics, serial number, then some of the other guys on here who are real experts will be delighted to help you out I am sure.

BSA Improved Model D

Hi Ed
    I think its page 18 lower item in Hiller 4th edition and my initial reaction when I saw it was that at least the barrel and air chamber had been refinished albeit to a high standard.Will this lower the value?
    Regards
    Daveh

Ditto what Ed says..I hope you still have that "gift" for the Rivi charity do Ed....I wont embaress you saying what it is...!

I'm going to come over in June/July sometime & see my mate (Will) & hope to pick it up then...?Looking forward to meeting you too...

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Ditto what Ed says..I hope you still have that "gift" for the Rivi charity do Ed....I wont embaress you saying what it is...!

I'm going to come over in June/July sometime & see my mate (Will) & hope to pick it up then...?Looking forward to meeting you too...
    Hi........yep, has just recently had a "feed" and exercise........will provide plain brown wrapping paper to get it over I.J.'s thresehold

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi Ed
    I think its page 18 lower item in Hiller 4th edition and my initial reaction when I saw it was that at least the barrel and air chamber had been refinished albeit to a high standard.Will this lower the value?
    Regards
    Daveh
    So.....Straight stock......your refinishing comment may explain the cylinder lettering not being "struck" in appearance......Thing is, refinished guns are a very personal thing.....Although here, I am throwing bricks from a glasshouse, as I have done all sorts to some I have....I prefer an evenly patinated or original gun, both aesthetically, and for possible resale or exchange......That said, I am a firm believer that once a gun has gone past the light pitting stage, and oil and wool still do not help, A well done refinish is O.K......give it a few years, and it all settles down and looks "right" again

Sorry..rambling as usual.

Right.....If you dont mind that the resale value will be lower than an original gun in most peoples eyes, and you like the gun, and want to keep it, and its a straight stocked .177......I personally would pay up to £175 if all screws etc. were good, internals healthy, nice wood, and good blue

Bear in mind this is my opinion only......some people would not go over £125 -30 for a re-finish!!......some would simply not want it...

BSA Improved Model D

Hi Ed
    Thanks for your views, They have helped me to make up my mind on the purchase.
    I hope to add to my collection tomorrow!
    Regards Daveh